OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for the Ecoscape giveaway (while still waiting for the tank to be built). I've started researching on how to aquascape from others on the forum. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my plan is to put the live rock at the bottom (since it is heavier?) and aquascape with the Marco dry rock on top of it. I'm also like some of the shapes from Ecoscape that I just saw.

1705672744192.png

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update for the Ecoscape giveaway (while still waiting for the tank to be built). I've started researching on how to aquascape from others on the forum. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but my plan is to put the live rock at the bottom (since it is heavier?) and aquascape with the Marco dry rock on top of it. I'm also like some of the shapes from Ecoscape that I just saw.

1705672744192.png
Smart that you are using live rock as well, you won’t regret it. I look forward to seeing this come together,

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some free time today and decided to work on my RO/DI unit. Originally I was just going to store the RO/DI system and take it out once a week to do water changes. After thinking about other options, I decided to install it. I couldn't find a good spot to put it on the wall because it's tiled and didn't want to chance on cracking it, so instead I found a little corner. It'll be plumbed to under the kitchen sink as soon as the fittings I ordered arrives.

20240124_191402.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some free time today and decided to work on my RO/DI unit. Originally I was just going to store the RO/DI system and take it out once a week to do water changes. After thinking about other options, I decided to install it. I couldn't find a good spot to put it on the wall because it's tiled and didn't want to chance on cracking it, so instead I found a little corner. It'll be plumbed to under the kitchen sink as soon as the fittings I ordered arrives.

20240124_191402.jpg
Best of luck to plumbing!

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small weekly update - I wanted to finish installing my RO/DI system this week, but the order for the fittings got lost in the mail. Hopefully next week I'll get that done. I also started to plan out my plumbing. I had an image of how I wanted to plumb it and thought it would be simple, but when I put it down on a drawing, it looks more complicated than I thought because I'm not sure if everything will fit in right. It's an unfinished drawing, but this is what I was able to come up with for this week.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 220509.jpg

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the update on the tank?

I reached out to CDA and here is there response:

"We have all your glass laid out for assembly, currently outstanding are the laminated panels for the stand which we expect to be delivered in about 2 weeks. Once we have a clearer ETA on the panels, we will move the tank onto the assembly table, so that both tank and stand can be finished around the same time."

It sounds like it is on schedule.

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I got a photo from Yury @ Poseidon's Creation with the ATO being finished. He is now starting on the sump. I also got to work a bit more on the RO/DI system.

IMG_5151_20240205_185237.jpg

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quick weekly update - The fittings for my RO/DI system arrived and I got it plumbed. It worked great with no leaks so far. Now I have to go get a Brute container. I'm thinking a 32 gallon should be enough?

20240216_102912.jpg
20240216_102830.jpg

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for this week - I'm hoping to hear something about the tank this coming week. Besides that, I worked on my RO/DI system again because I realized the high pressure switch was not switching off the power to the booster pump. I finally figured out that there was also a screw to adjust the pressure on it. Got that working now. I also ordered a 32 gallon Brute trash can for water changes, some more pipe fittings and gate valves for the manifold, and media reactor.

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting to hear from the tank builder (hopefully this week), the build of the custom sump has started. I also noticed that my RO/DI had a very small leak at the elbows of the canisters. It's a very small leak. They probably didn't use enough teflon tape or there was too much pressure? Pressure was at 85 psi, dialed it down to 80 psi and it still leaks.

IMG_5322_20240228_133757.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
80 is a touch high but that's not why it's leaking.

When screwing plastic NPT male into female you really only want to use one or two wraps of Teflon tape. The way national pipe thread works is it tapers so if you wrap too much it widens what you are screwing in and can sometimes crack the female part. Sometimes it's easier just to use a little PFTE paste.

My guess is if you just give them another quarter turn they will stop leaking.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm waiting to hear from the tank builder (hopefully this week), the build of the custom sump has started. I also noticed that my RO/DI had a very small leak at the elbows of the canisters. It's a very small leak. They probably didn't use enough teflon tape or there was too much pressure? Pressure was at 85 psi, dialed it down to 80 psi and it still leaks.

IMG_5322_20240228_133757.jpg
That is going to be one sweet sump!

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week I changed out the 2 outlets along the wall to GFCI. I also discovered that the outlets were already wired under different circuits. I still haven't heard anything from the tank builder, but I'll shoot them an email later in the week for an update.

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump and ATO build is completed. It is crated and I should be receiving it this week or next.

IMG_4024_20240315_135623.jpg

IMG_5476_20240318_095353.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my sump and ATO from Poseidon's Creations a few days ago. It's uncrated and looks great. I'll unwrap it and leak test it later this week. As for the tank, I reached out to CDA and was told the stand is in assembly and the tank is due to be assembled next week. They expect the shipping date to be around April 10-12.

I also got the chance to visit several LFS for the first time. The visits helped with what stockings I may want. One of the LFS I went to had 1" to 1.5" hippo tangs for $50. I looked at several online stores and most were over $100 if I recalled. So that was a shocker. I'm still learning about the hobby, but I couldn't tell what the difference was from LFS to online.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I received my sump and ATO from Poseidon's Creations a few days ago. It's uncrated and looks great. I'll unwrap it and leak test it later this week. As for the tank, I reached out to CDA and was told the stand is in assembly and the tank is due to be assembled next week. They expect the shipping date to be around April 10-12.

I also got the chance to visit several LFS for the first time. The visits helped with what stockings I may want. One of the LFS I went to had 1" to 1.5" hippo tangs for $50. I looked at several online stores and most were over $100 if I recalled. So that was a shocker. I'm still learning about the hobby, but I couldn't tell what the difference was from LFS to online.
There probably isn't much difference between the LFS and online stores. Does your LFS quarantine and treat the fish? Some online stores do. Some stores (online and local) will bring the fish in, toss it in a tank immediately and sell it to you as soon as it's out of the bag. This can cause some diseases to go unnoticed.

OP
OP
Brisk

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There probably isn't much difference between the LFS and online stores. Does your LFS quarantine and treat the fish? Some online stores do. Some stores (online and local) will bring the fish in, toss it in a tank immediately and sell it to you as soon as it's out of the bag. This can cause some diseases to go unnoticed.

That's good to know then. That LFS is supposedly one of the recommended places. I'll definitely make sure to ask if they quarantine and treat first. Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 77 56.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.6%
Back