The last hurrah…Or is it? - CADE Peninsula Series 1500 S2/P

Fasthandsslowmind

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s good to see people having success with clams.

Yeah, short term success is one thing. I think the key is to shoot for fail-safes, redundancy, and simplicity so that the "easy" short term success can become the much more rewarding long term success. Take that with a grain of salt though, my tank is one year old.

The clam seems easy, and I think that's because it was already fairly large when I got it. My concern was proper lighting, and I wasn't sure I'd have enough. The Cade is pretty deep, and I was running just the 4 AI Blades.

To my suprise, the clam seems to always move into a partly shaded portion of the tank, so I just let it do its thing.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been making some slow progress on plumbing and installing the equipment in the sump. I removed the majority of the glass partitions in the sump. Felt it was too compartmentalized and did not offer enough flexibility for what I wanted to do. Got the filter roller plumbed in and the majority of the plumbing for the UV sterilizer completed.
IMG_2246 2.jpeg
IMG_2249 2.jpeg
IMG_2262 2.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on using this space for a frag grow out area. Would like to keep frag racks out of the display. Need to get some black acrylic pieces cut and mounted to block off some of the light spill into the other areas of the sump.
IMG_2261 2.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Red Dragon return pump showed up. This thing is a beast! Got it all plumbed up and installed. Before I get burned at the stake for using a check valve note I did a full tank leak test with a different return pump installed. I verified the sump can hold all the water that drains from the tank when the return pump is turned off without the check valve installed. All hose clamps used are 100% Titanium.
IMG_2267.jpeg
IMG_2268.jpeg
IMG_2270.jpeg
IMG_2273.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to get opinions on internal water flow options. My initial plan was to get 4 - MP40's and mount two on each side of the overflow. My thought is it would be a very clean install and they would be easy to maintain. The glass on the aquarium is 9/16" thick so I believe they should hold on ok. I would really like to keep the left side viewing pane free of pumps, but I'm thinking I may need to add a Gyre on this side near the surface to keep the organic "oil slick" on the top of the water from forming. The tank will be a mixed reef leaning a bit more towards the SPS side of things. Any thought's or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back