Shadyraro's Cade 900 S2

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to keep the filter sock in with the reefmat? I am working on setting up my 900 and want to find a roller mat that works well. In the filter sock chamber would be awesome, but I don’t know that it’s big enough area for it to make sense.
You could try a drop in filter like the Klir Di-4 possibly. Got one on my Waterbox 70.2 and whilst it's a bit of a pain to clean or change a roll. I'd much rather do that once every few months or so than pull out socks every few days to a week.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason to keep the filter sock in with the reefmat? I am working on setting up my 900 and want to find a roller mat that works well. In the filter sock chamber would be awesome, but I don’t know that it’s big enough area for it to make sense.
I do know some people have removed the filter sock holder but I didn't see the need too.
I only know of the klir fleece roller that fits in the sock holder, but I've read lots of mixed reviews about it and they weren't that great.
The reefmat 250 is a great size roller mat for this sump and they are a fantastic unit. I have a lot more room since swapping out the 500 and have even been thinking about putting my pax in the sump. Depends what you want in there I guess but my setup is doing just fine as is.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Last week my gold tip elegance bailed from its skeleton :crying-face: I knew it was in a spot where there was a bit too much flow and I was planning on moving it, but now it’s too late.
It’s still alive and looks OK but I don’t know how long it'll last out of its shell, it’s in a low flow area now so fingers crossed.
My anemone has split again so now there’s 4, it was only a few weeks ago when the 3rd one appeared so these things are multiplying fast!
And I’ve changed my cabinet display once again, I had an old iPad laying around so I installed the smart reef app and put it inside one of the cabinet doors.
It’s pretty handy having all the info there and I told my girlfriend that I won’t change anything else in the cabinet as I seem to be changing it every couple weeks.
Apart from that the tank is going good, I'm planning on adding some sps to the system soon so watch this space.
Happy reefing!

IMG_8665.jpeg IMG_8661.jpeg IMG_8672.jpeg IMG_8674.jpeg

Last edited:

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I like the ipad idea.

The elegance can survive once it's left it's skeleton, but it being blown around the tank could make it difficult. ( I know you said it's in low flow currently, but once it puffs up it could catch flow or possibly a fish giving a good flick of it's tail could unsettle it.
Mine bailed about 6+ months ago and I had to chuck it into a separation box almost immediately because it kept getting sucked into the nero 3 despite me not having huge flow through the tank.
Still going strong thought all this time later but dang I hate having that box in there...

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I like the ipad idea.

The elegance can survive once it's left it's skeleton, but it being blown around the tank could make it difficult. ( I know you said it's in low flow currently, but once it puffs up it could catch flow or possibly a fish giving a good flick of it's tail could unsettle it.
Mine bailed about 6+ months ago and I had to chuck it into a separation box almost immediately because it kept getting sucked into the nero 3 despite me not having huge flow through the tank.
Still going strong thought all this time later but dang I hate having that box in there...
Yeah it's puffed up a few times and gone tank surfing, and I even found it sitting inside my leather one day :astonished-face:

IMG_8498.jpeg
It eventually always ends up back in the same low flow spot, well that’s where I find it sitting after work anyway.
The iPad is great, just one touch to open the screen and all the updated info is there. It turns off after 15 mins of no use, and the plug is there for when it’s low battery but I’m sure it’ll be a few weeks between charges.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

During the week I ordered 3 red bio ball holders and they arrived yesterday. I’m really impressed with the quality and how they look, and they fit perfectly where the media baskets were. I’m thinking of eventually removing the 4 media blocks as they take up a bit of space, especially while sitting in the 4 block holder. I also added extra bio balls to fill up the holders so there’s around 3.5kg of balls in total now. But for now I’ll let the new balls seed in and see how we go.
The tank is cruising along nicely and the coral and fish all seem fine, even the elegance coral that bailed is still hanging in there opening up daily.
My KH keeper is doing a fantastic job keeping my nutrients in check, it’s linked with my doser which doses alk, mag and cal as required from the 3 daily test results which are quite stable. All other parameters are good and we’ve had a few 40 degree days here in Sydney which really tested the tank, but our houses aircon helped keep the tank at a decent temp and everything was fine.
That’s all for now, happy reefing!

IMG_8818.jpeg IMG_8804.jpeg IMG_8821.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank and setup- thanks for posting! It inspired me to order a Cade 900 as well. Debating my equipment plan while I wait on the truck...
Thanks and you're welcome!
You're really going to love the Cade tanks they're such a quality build and I highly recommend them.
Regarding equipment, there's so much to choose from these days we really are spoilt for choice, but I wanted to fully automate my tank as much as possible so I have a lot of Reef Factory gear and it's fantastic.
If something goes wrong or isn't right with the tank I get a notification, and being able to control it from anywhere using my phone is just great and gives me piece of mind.

Looking really good so far :)
Thanks!

Last edited:

Lagoon Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shadyraro,

I am having trouble installing my RedSea filter roller to my Cade. Just wondering what fillings you used to install the reefmat?
Cheers

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Shadyraro,

I am having trouble installing my RedSea filter roller to my Cade. Just wondering what fillings you used to install the reefmat?
Cheers
Hey there!
What Cade tank do you have?
I cut the down pipe a couple of inches below the gate valve and glued in a reducer fitting, then glued a piece of pvc pipe into the reducer and the ReefMat hose went straight onto that.
Hope this helps!

LBCBJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I made a quick video of my tanks progress since setting it up, it details the equipment, fish and coral etc. Feel free to have a watch! :)

You have a fantastic setup Shady, I’m a bit envious. Tank looks great, sump is thought out, everything is tidy - well done.

You mentioned your Neros are on 1 sec pulse, are they anti-sync? Still tinkering with my flow to get that nice gentle wave you have going on.

Gotta put the 900 on my wish list for when I eventually upgrade the tiny 500!

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a fantastic setup Shady, I’m a bit envious. Tank looks great, sump is thought out, everything is tidy - well done.

You mentioned your Neros are on 1 sec pulse, are they anti-sync? Still tinkering with my flow to get that nice gentle wave you have going on.

Gotta put the 900 on my wish list for when I eventually upgrade the tiny 500!
Thanks mate! :)
I have the neros set to parent/child and when they're on the 1s pulse mode the child pump is set to 90 degrees. So sync is 0 and anti sync is 180, and mine is set in between so the child pulses 0.5s after the parent to give it a dynamic flow pattern.
Hope this helps!

wickedxreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to say, I really enjoyed reading and looking at your tank build and progression. I'm about to pickup my cade 900 s2 hopefully this weekend. If you had to build the tank over again, I'm assuming you would go with reefmat 250 and all reef factory hardware? I was going to go with xr15 blues, gw-7 skimmer, vectra m2 return pump. After reading your thread though, I'm rethinking my plan on lights and return pump. Thoughts?

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First I would like to say, I really enjoyed reading and looking at your tank build and progression. I'm about to pickup my cade 900 s2 hopefully this weekend. If you had to build the tank over again, I'm assuming you would go with reefmat 250 and all reef factory hardware? I was going to go with xr15 blues, gw-7 skimmer, vectra m2 return pump. After reading your thread though, I'm rethinking my plan on lights and return pump. Thoughts?
Hey mate, thanks for checking out my build!
With the equipment I was considering getting 2 medium Reef Flare Pro Blues, but to be honest the 2 radions are doing a fantastic job so for now I'm just leaving it as is.
I did have a Vectra S2 prior to installing the RF base pump and that was more than adequate, I only ran it it 50% so an M2 might be overkill. I am waiting on 2 RF smart switches to arrive, one each for the skimmer and algae reactor, but apart from that I would basically have the same setup if I did it again.

The main reason I have gone with the Reef Factory equipment is for the ability to remotely control any of the gear from anywhere, and because I want to automate my tank as much as possible. With family and work etc I didn't want the tank to control my life, and I didn't want to have to worry about it at all especially when I was away. I get notifications if there's any issues and I can go on the RF app and check and adjust anything if I need too, I also have a camera (fish cam) so I can check out the tank also.
You're going to love the 900 they're an awesome setup!

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Tank is cruising along nicely, I added a couple of scollys and a trachy last week and they've settled in nicely.
My 2 watchman gobies have built a fortress under a rock loading up sand on the sides, they've pretty much barricaded themselves in and it's fascinating watching them do there thing.
I tested my parameters on the weekend and there were some interesting results:

Temp: 24.6
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 8.6
Ph: 8.2
N03: 5.3
P04: 0.58
Cal: 490
Mag: 1480

The phosphates are pretty high but I’m not really worried about it, there's no algae in the tank and all the corals are looking pretty good so maybe they prefer the higher p04.
But I’ll monitor it and see how things go, but for now I’m just letting the tank do its thing.

I also made another quick video displaying the corals and fish, feel free to take a look!

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous. I would love for my tank to look like that in 6 months (Cade 1200 just finishing cycling).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back