OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good and glad to hear the smart tester is working as expected. Looking forward to additional updates on how it progresses.

Makes me think I should remove the shelf as well. My cabinet is getting extremely tight quick. How’re you liking the pax? How often do you find yourself having to maintain it and what benefits have you seen from it?
Thanks, so far so good on the smart tester!
Yeah the cabinets are pretty tight and I think removing the shelf was a good idea, it's more open now and I can easily access the ATO valve at the back which was a bit tricky previously.
The pax is great, it grows chaeto no problem and as long as you harvest it it does a great job.
With maintenance I remove it usually every 10-12 days to harvest, the whole process takes less than 20 mins.
It's great for nutrient export and I find it keeps my nitrates and phosphates at a good levels.
My phosphates have already dropped from 0.50 down to 0.21 in a week since it's been back online and they usually end up hovering around 0.10 when it’s been running a while.
Nitrates sit around 5 so all in all the pax does a great job.

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

The tank has been cruising along nicely even tho my nitrates bottomed out, I think it was from the pax needing a harvest and also the ReefMat.
I’ve since done a harvest and we’ll see how it goes, but as nothing seemed upset in the tank I’m not too worried about it.
I did a Triton ICP and the test results were pretty good, the only red flag was molybdenum which was high. After researching it I found it can be found in some additives and can cause cyano, I don’t have cyano so I’m not sure if it was a test error but anyway I’ll just monitor the tank for now.
My fish are all doing good and yesterday I added a Naso (lipstick) tang, he settled right in and made friends straight away with my mimic and blue tang. He’s a great looking fish and I hope he likes his new home.
The corals are all going good apart from one of my hammers losing a head, it never looked comfortable since I put it in the tank a few months ago so I’m just monitoring it.
I also added an ultra Goni and that’s settled in nicely.
The smart tester is doing a good job, it’s currently testing twice a day and the KH keeper also tests twice a day. There’s no major variances in the tests and everything is staying stable so I’m just letting the tank do its thing.
One thing I found interesting with the ICP result was I also tested the water at the same time I filled the vials, and my po4 Hanna and salifert tests were 0.25 while the ICP tested 0.10.
Anyway, I’m not one to chase numbers and the tank is doing great so all good.

IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg

IMG_1220.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edit:
So after writing in @Randy Holmes-Farley forum about my high molybdenum result, he informed me that the stainless hose clamps that came with my Cade more than likely contains molybdenum. After a quick google search he was indeed correct.
That would explain the high reading as I use 4 clamps that came with the tank, so luckily I ordered some plastic clamps a while ago and I’ll be replacing them soon.

Last edited:

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see you'd posted an update in my notifications, but your tank is looking lush! Well done! Envious! haha
I did think twice about those stainless clamps too but went and installed them anyway as I didn't have the plastic on hand, guess I should probably look into those a bit more as well!

That FTS looks great though, awesome job!

OP
OP
S

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see you'd posted an update in my notifications, but your tank is looking lush! Well done! Envious! haha
I did think twice about those stainless clamps too but went and installed them anyway as I didn't have the plastic on hand, guess I should probably look into those a bit more as well!

That FTS looks great though, awesome job!
Hey thanks! :)
My LFS had the plastic ratchet clamps so I just grabbed a handful of different sizes.
I’ve changed the pump clamps but haven’t done the 2 clamps in the RO reservoir yet as I’m waiting for the water to drain out lol.
The whole return pipe has to come out so it’s a bit of a mission, but when I do another ICP it’ll be interesting to see what the result is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back