UNS R90 Build Journey

Watching and following. I love the UNS tanks with the open sump.


20260824_225250_A0D6F515-30DA-4B94-892D-F4300FE60A61.png

I saw this, are you testing with your Hydros?
 
Watching and following. I love the UNS tanks with the open sump.


20260824_225250_A0D6F515-30DA-4B94-892D-F4300FE60A61.png

I saw this, are you testing with your Hydros?
Thanks! I added those to manually keep track of testing. I like how it lets you graph the data points over time. Hopefully one day the Maven will do it for me, but that doesn’t seem to be happening any time soon.
 
Just placed an order with Dr. Reef. I've had great experience with him in the past, so hoping for a smooth order. Here's the order list:

Clean up crew:
  • Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab x 15
  • Trochus Snail x 10
  • Cerith Snail x 10
  • Bumble Bee Snail x 10
  • Nassarius Snail (Small) x 5
  • Cleaner Shrimp × 1
  • Tiger Conch × 1
Fish:
  • Whitetail Bristletooth Tang × 1
  • Chalk Bass (Captive Bred) × 1
  • Dispar Anthias (Female) × 2
  • Dispar Anthias (Male) × 1
 
Love the setup!! Thinking about going with the UNS 90 as well just down the road a bit. I’m getting back into the hobby after 5 years. Originally I was going to go with the UNS 90 out of the gate but I found a really good deal on a IM 40l used and in excellent condition for $425 with stand and a lot of other miscellaneous stuff. decided to go with that just to dip my toes back in to see if I still have the passion for it.

I did pick up a Straton X light, just like you. It’s a fantastic light and I have to say it looks fantastic on your tank.

My display tank has been up for almost three weeks like yours. My clowns come Tuesday and they’ll be quarantined for a while before I drop them into the display.

Thanks for sharing your set up and journey man. Good luck with everything!!
20260826_062301_78CB7DF4-7CAD-4B3A-89D5-0A8264081FEB.png
 
Love the setup!! Thinking about going with the UNS 90 as well just down the road a bit. I’m getting back into the hobby after 5 years. Originally I was going to go with the UNS 90 out of the gate but I found a really good deal on a IM 40l used and in excellent condition for $425 with stand and a lot of other miscellaneous stuff. decided to go with that just to dip my toes back in to see if I still have the passion for it.

I did pick up a Straton X light, just like you. It’s a fantastic light and I have to say it looks fantastic on your tank.

My display tank has been up for almost three weeks like yours. My clowns come Tuesday and they’ll be quarantined for a while before I drop them into the display.

Thanks for sharing your set up and journey man. Good luck with everything!!
20260826_062301_78CB7DF4-7CAD-4B3A-89D5-0A8264081FEB.png
Beautiful tank! So far I would very much recommend the R90. It has some quirks but overall it’s hands down the best tank I’ve ever owned.

Glad to be on the journey with you! 😀
 
The mericultured rock came in today and looks amazing, but it’s got some bubble algae on it. I removed the one piece I saw and added the rock to the sump for about an hour before thinking through the fact that I should really QT it all first. Lesson learned there... Quarantine everything! I removed it and have it in a holding tank downstairs now with a pump and heater. While moving it over, I noticed a few more tiny bubbles. Hopefully that exposure wasn't enough to seed the tank. The research I've done is entirely inconclusive, so I guess time will tell. Either way, I really don't want to deal with bubble algae so not really sure what to do with this stuff.
 
Last edited:
A few pictures of the rock. If not for the bubble algae, I’d be pretty stoked! I had a terrible issue with vernatid snails in my last tank that made things so frustrating, so I’m trying to avoid “tear down the tank” type issues in the future. I really love the look of all the sponges and other life, but maybe I underestimated the risk of a headache here. Either way, all I can do now is figure it out.

20260826_174006_7BFAE20A-F0B2-433A-8F9D-37025113027F.png


20260826_174007_7C38EE0F-282A-48FB-A982-39DDE78CAEEB.png


20260826_174007_957C45B8-6F9B-4342-8408-803E1B2FF725.png


20260826_174007_07C15760-964A-4BA9-B3CD-B482012794D8.png
 
Serious Reefs did some good testing on this. From what I remember, this thing puts out ridiculous PAR if you ramp it up. I can't imagine you being PAR limited with this on a tank this size.

That said, I will probably rent a PAR meter at some point down the road. I don't think I'll have coral for quite awhile while everything settles in, so it might be 6 months to a year before I post any readings on that.
I need the PAR values for this tank as soon as possible; I really wish you would take a PAR measurement right away.
 
Serious Reefs did some good testing on this. From what I remember, this thing puts out ridiculous PAR if you ramp it up. I can't imagine you being PAR limited with this on a tank this size.

That said, I will probably rent a PAR meter at some point down the road. I don't think I'll have coral for quite awhile while everything settles in, so it might be 6 months to a year before I post any readings on that.
I need the PAR values for this tank as soon as possible; I really wish you would take a PAR measurement right away.
I assume your tone is because English isn’t your first language? No offense, but that’s pretty demanding. I have no need to measure PAR for quite awhile, so I’m not buying a PAR meter until I actually need it. When I do measure it I’ll definitely post the numbers though.

If I remember right, Serious Reefs video on the Straton X had some pretty good PAR testing. It’s on Patreon so you have to pay to access it, but I like supporting the hobby and I feel like Ryan does a great job.
 
I assume your tone is because English isn’t your first language? No offense, but that’s pretty demanding. I have no need to measure PAR for quite awhile, so I’m not buying a PAR meter until I actually need it. When I do measure it I’ll definitely post the numbers though.

If I remember right, Serious Reefs video on the Straton X had some pretty good PAR testing. It’s on Patreon so you have to pay to access it, but I like supporting the hobby and I feel like Ryan does a great job.
Yes, English isn't my native language; I use Google Translate, and sometimes it doesn't translate exactly the way I want. I apologize.
 
I assume your tone is because English isn’t your first language? No offense, but that’s pretty demanding. I have no need to measure PAR for quite awhile, so I’m not buying a PAR meter until I actually need it. When I do measure it I’ll definitely post the numbers though.

If I remember right, Serious Reefs video on the Straton X had some pretty good PAR testing. It’s on Patreon so you have to pay to access it, but I like supporting the hobby and I feel like Ryan does a great job.
Yes, English isn't my native language; I use Google Translate, and sometimes it doesn't translate exactly the way I want. I apologize.
All good! I totally get it. Do you need the PAR readings because you’re thinking of buying this light? Maybe I can borrow one from my local fish store and get some readings for you.
 
All good! I totally get it. Do you need the PAR readings because you’re thinking of buying this light? Maybe I can borrow one from my local fish store and get some readings for you.
Yes, I have a tank with the same dimensions. I'm curious about the PAR values of a single Straton X; if I'm satisfied, I won't buy a second one. My local dealer is waiting to hear from me based on that.
 
Yes, I have a tank with the same dimensions. I'm curious about the PAR values of a single Straton X; if I'm satisfied, I won't buy a second one. My local dealer is waiting to hear from me based on that.
Hey, just following up on this. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere that will rent a PAR meter for a reasonable price. I'll probably pick one up in the next few months, and will definitely update you once I have PAR testing. I will say, after testing the light today now that I have it on, it gets BRIGHT. I was pretty shocked how bright it gets. I cannot imagine you'll have any issues at all with PAR on a tank this size.
 
Hey, just following up on this. Unfortunately I haven't found anywhere that will rent a PAR meter for a reasonable price. I'll probably pick one up in the next few months, and will definitely update you once I have PAR testing. I will say, after testing the light today now that I have it on, it gets BRIGHT. I was pretty shocked how bright it gets. I cannot imagine you'll have any issues at all with PAR on a tank this size.
thank you
 
Anyone have an idea what this white stuff is? It’s showed up over the past week or so. I was concerned it was hydroids but it’s not matching anything I’ve seen online and is present all over the glass in a way that looks like algae.

20261003_123242_88F4EB8E-FB99-408E-A70A-ACAF9FA96E96.png


20261003_123242_44076176-3722-4734-AE36-0C139D4BFEA3.png


20261003_123242_FD4965F6-82B5-4223-9A5F-38A25C67567C.png


Also, new fish! Anthias and a chalk bass came in today. Also picked up a cleaner shrimp and some other clean up crew additions.

20261003_123242_B1627C90-0406-4096-84C9-37FD89B474A3.png
 
Last edited:
Hard to say - was the sand bed recently stirred? Is it coming back after you scrape it? Love the new fish!
Thanks! It’s coming together really well. Definitely the most successful tank I’ve had in my time in the hobby, at least so far.

I’m fairly certain that algae came in with the TBS sand. I see it on the sand bed, and remember seeing some of it early on. No idea what it is, but it seems totally benign so far. I cleaned the tank well today so we’ll see if it comes back in the display.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new