Beginning a QT for Ich problems

vzmartinii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

New to the hobby been at it for about a month so I apologize in advance for the stupid questions
sad.gif

Unfortunately my tank has an Ich infestation, and so I have several questions.

1.I'm setting up a QT for my fish. I plan on leaving the live rock and sand in my DT. My understanding is that in the DT the Ich will die off and the rock and sand will be okay. In my QT after 6-9 weeks the copper dosing on my fish in a separate tank with no signs of Ich I can bring my fish back into the DT safely. Is this right?

2. Is it okay to put MicroBacter in my QT to speed up the cycling process?

3. Can I still feed my fish as I do normally once their in the QT being medicated?

4. Will it be okay to put a seaweed clip in there for them?

Again, sorry for the stupid questions and thanks in advance!!

haleyf1024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hyposalinity to treat my ich since I won't use copper, so I used tank water to set up my QT and didn't cycle it. So, can't help with #2. For your first question, yes. Just make sure you leave your tank fish free for at least 8 weeks. Then return them 2 weeks after the last spot of ich has been seen. The answer to both 3 and 4 are yes.

OP
OP
V

vzmartinii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hyposalinity to treat my ich since I won't use copper, so I used tank water to set up my QT and didn't cycle it. So, can't help with #2. For your first question, yes. Just make sure you leave your tank fish free for at least 8 weeks. Then return them 2 weeks after the last spot of ich has been seen. The answer to both 3 and 4 are yes.

makes a lot of sense, thank you!

Dan1789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would (did) do a longer fallow period in your DT just to be safe. I did 12 weeks fallow while I medicated the fish that lived through the worst of it. After they are back in your tank, you are going to have to be diligent in QT / treating all fish that come in to prevent it from happening again, unless you feed "whole" foods like Paul B he doesn't have a problem with ich. I'm lucky to have a small LFS (that I trust) that will QT and medicate all fish that you purchase, so I don't have to do it myself. Try feeding black worms as part of your fish's diet.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using water from a display tank doesn't do much for you as far as a cycle goes, your better off with a cycled media like a sponge. The feeding theory is great advice from an immune system standpoint, everything is more healthy when fed properly. It only goes so far though, while fighting off a virus or even an infection makes sense, a parasite works completely different and the health argument isn't the same unless they're in the ocean and the paracite moves on to another host. In our little glass boxes that doesn't happen and the paracite is left with no choice but to attack the same host over and over each time it reproduces.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.I'm setting up a QT for my fish. I plan on leaving the live rock and sand in my DT. My understanding is that in the DT the Ich will die off and the rock and sand will be okay. In my QT after 6-9 weeks the copper dosing on my fish in a separate tank with no signs of Ich I can bring my fish back into the DT safely. Is this right?

Only remove the fish from your DT. Continue to feed all corals/inverts. Throw in a tiny pinch of flake every 2-3 days for good measure. Go fallow in your DT for 72 days.

Treat all your fish in a barebottom, rockless QT for 4 weeks.

2. Is it okay to put MicroBacter in my QT to speed up the cycling process?

You can use any "bacteria in a bottle" product you want to help control ammonia in QT. BUT you must have a working bio-filter capable of hosting the nitrifying bacteria. Examples of this would be a sponge/foam, ceramic noodles or bio-wheel on a HOB filter. You'll want to "seed" the bio-filter for a few days before adding copper.

3. Can I still feed my fish as I do normally once their in the QT being medicated?

You will probably notice fish exposed to copper generally have decreased appetites. Do not overfeed your QT or you risk elevating the ammonia level.

4. Will it be okay to put a seaweed clip in there for them?

You can, but oftentimes little bits of nori goes everywhere in QT. So, I would feed nori sparingly. A lot of times fish don't seem to like how it tastes after being exposed to copper water. ;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back