Beginning of a new life

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I begin my cycle, as well as the start of an amazing hobby. So I thought I’d post and update weekly or bi-weekly. So here is day 1.

729e6d2ad8960eb89cb92fb11ea224b2.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I begin my cycle, as well as the start of an amazing hobby. So I thought I’d post and update weekly or bi-weekly. So here is day 1.

729e6d2ad8960eb89cb92fb11ea224b2.jpg

I really like that aquascape! What size tank?

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today makes it the start of day 2. I can see some brown forming on the tank. Looks like diatom. Aquascape takes my attention every time I pass it. I love it.

Using the led strip that came with the tank until my actual lighting comes in. Should take about another week to come.

ALSO. my heater is coming. I’m excited!!!!

No hitchhikers as of yet, which makes me happy.

266927d7b8d312160e7c8aca8cdc83ee.jpg

Jay Duke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also new in the hobby and was eyeing up 65g tanks. Good size to start I think. I ended up finding a 75 and 90 used for free, but the 65 is nice because lighting a 3 ft tank is a bit cheaper.

You’re well ahead of me though. Good start!

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also new in the hobby and was eyeing up 65g tanks. Good size to start I think. I ended up finding a 75 and 90 used for free, but the 65 is nice because lighting a 3 ft tank is a bit cheaper.

You’re well ahead of me though. Good start!

We will get to where we want to eventually. No race. Steady and easy. Let’s make our tanks beautiful and apart of our everyday life.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching this thread. Keep the great updates coming! I like the scape, too.

I'm a ways out from starting my tank cycle, but watching someone else go through it helps make it familiar. I'm in no rush, though, and taking my time while I build my stand to make sure it's what I want. I plan on this hobby being part of my day-to-day for a very long time.

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm watching this thread. Keep the great updates coming! I like the scape, too.

I'm a ways out from starting my tank cycle, but watching someone else go through it helps make it familiar. I'm in no rush, though, and taking my time while I build my stand to make sure it's what I want. I plan on this hobby being part of my day-to-day for a very long time.
I 100% agree. If all goes as planned. I’m eventually hope to get to bigger and better tanks. But for now, this will do. I’ll keep this posted. I look forward to your tank build. I’ll stay on post when it happens!

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 4:
Specific Gravity: 1.025
pH: 8.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 5.0
Nitrate: 40.0

Overnight I hit the nitrite spike. I don’t have time to do a water change until after work. RIP

OP
OP
Musovski

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the tank. Began dosing pure ammonia. Dosed to about 8ppm, tested 4 days after. Ammonia dropped to 2ppm. Nitrite is at a high of 5.0+, Nitrate has reached 160. Performed a 10% water change just to get some fresher water in there.

As for what my tank is getting. Brand new sump, skimmer and lights are incoming. I decided to go with MARSAQUA LEDS until i can find decent prices for radeons.

Tomorrow i will be adding a bottle of colony to help cycle nitrites just a little bit, as soon as they develope of course.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R ! ! !

Aquascape looks great ! !

Couple things I noticed that I want to make you aware of. Black sand is very magnetic and will get caught in your glass mag-cleaner and will scratch the glass. I have had black sand for 3 tanks and you have to be very careful when scraping low and touching the sand. Just be careful and you'll be good. I love the look of it just too bad it's magnetic.

Ditch the hydrometer as soon as you can. They are notoriously inaccurate. Get a decent refractometer and a bottle of calibration fluid for it. Or spend a little more and get the Milwaukee. I wish I got that when I bought my handheld refractometer instead.

tenor111.gif

#welcometor2r

Back