Behavior Modification w/ Powerheads

waverider

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three clownfish. Larry, Curly and Moe. Little Moe was the little runt that made it into the bag at the fish store. I had selected a larger clown but I figured the little guy would be the spice of life. His big brother's occasionally pick on him, as just happened now. Tonight his big brothers were unusually bullish. So, I have a set of 3 powerheads. -Two moderate 1500GPH variable power that run normally, and a big 3500GPH that I normally keep off, but use occasionally to blow out my system.

A blast of current and all squabbles over.

Half an hour or so and I'll let them all relax.

Aldrinlights

Reeth Huthbandry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are probably establishing their heirchy.Here are some interesting notes from this article about clownfish you may not know.

"Clownfish carry both female and male reproductive organs. In the female-dominated clownfish community, the female is the largest fish. She mates only with the breeding male, usually the second-largest and most aggressive male in the community. The rest of the community are made up of sexually immature males."

"The breeding male then “suppresses maturation of juveniles in the anemone, so they are unable to compete with him for the one female,”

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back