OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also looks to have small white strings hanging from inside his mouth (same consistency and look as frozen mysis) only visible with his mouth fully open. Would that be a bacterial infection? My only bacterial med on hand is kanaplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He also looks to have small white strings hanging from inside his mouth (same consistency and look as frozen mysis) only visible with his mouth fully open. Would that be a bacterial infection? My only bacterial med on hand is kanaplex.

Sorry - I see that the fish is upside down. that means it is moribund, actively dying. I have never been able to bring a fish back from that point. I've heard of a couple of cases here, but in those cases, the issue was that the fish was in shock from some water quality problem, not a progressive disease.

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I see that the fish is upside down. that means it is moribund, actively dying. I have never been able to bring a fish back from that point. I've heard of a couple of cases here, but in those cases, the issue was that the fish was in shock from some water quality problem, not a progressive disease.
I realize he’s having a hard time righting himself because he has a chunk taken out of his right fin, never noticed it before.
IMG_5442.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up the second round of dosing Paracleanse, and I believe now that is is flukes since a few white dots have surfaced behind the gills. I have Ruby Rally Pro and Paraguard and I want to do a bath with one of these, but I don't know if the effects would be worth it if I put him back in the display tank afterwards. Also, which one would be better to use for the most effective/least stressful bath? I've seen people say that Paraguard is effective as a bath for flukes since it's an alternative to Formalin.

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up the second round of dosing Paracleanse, and I believe now that is is flukes since a few white dots have surfaced behind the gills. I have Ruby Rally Pro and Paraguard and I want to do a bath with one of these, but I don't know if the effects would be worth it if I put him back in the display tank afterwards. Also, which one would be better to use for the most effective/least stressful bath? I've seen people say that Paraguard is effective as a bath for flukes since it's an alternative to Formalin.
I actually just recieved the Prazipro in the mail as well as Copper Power and Nitrofurazone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Formalin is effective as a dip for flukes, but so if freshwater. Paraguard uses a low dose of another aldehyde, I would not use it against flukes. Same with Ruby Rally Pro.

Paracleanse is the same as General Cure and should work for flukes. Both of these also contain metronidazole. Prazipro is just praziquantel in a solvent, but it works against flukes as well, just don't combine these.

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Formalin is effective as a dip for flukes, but so if freshwater. Paraguard uses a low dose of another aldehyde, I would not use it against flukes. Same with Ruby Rally Pro.

Paracleanse is the same as General Cure and should work for flukes. Both of these also contain metronidazole. Prazipro is just praziquantel in a solvent, but it works against flukes as well, just don't combine these.
I’m wondering what you think I should use to treat him going forward now considering the fin rot and possible flukes? Now that I have all of these medications I just want to make sure I’m going forward correctly since I’m new to treating fish. Also I very much appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond to all of my questions, thank you again.

My list of medications I have right now:
Copper Power
Ruby Rally Pro
PraziPro
Nitrofurazone
Methylene Blue
Paraguard
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Melafix
Stress Coat+
Focus
Rid Ich Plus

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m wondering what you think I should use to treat him going forward now considering the fin rot and possible flukes? Now that I have all of these medications I just want to make sure I’m going forward correctly since I’m new to treating fish. Also I very much appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond to all of my questions, thank you again.

Copper Power
Ruby Rally Pro
PraziPro
Nitrofurazone
Methylene Blue
Paraguard
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Melafix
Stress Coat+
Focus
Rid Ich Plus
Prazi is best if flukes. Add aeration as it reduces both oxygen and appetite. Treat initially and allow to last 8 days, day 9 do a water change and one more treatment to last over 8 days- NOT all 8 days and if running a simmer, leave the skimmer cup off for added aeration.
Paraguard is very much useless, Methelyene blue somewhat ok for a dip but not a treatment. Melafix is Teak tree oil and maybe ok for goldfish otherwise useless, stress coat is merely a water conditioner and does not relieve stress, focus is a binder for medication and really not needed, Rid ich is also a joke in better terms and Avoid Metroplex unless absolutely needed as it has to be used precisely at .5gm by weight which is a tiny amount

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is best if flukes. Add aeration as it reduces both oxygen and appetite. Treat initially and allow to last 8 days, day 9 do a water change and one more treatment to last over 8 days- NOT all 8 days and if running a simmer, leave the skimmer cup off for added aeration.
Paraguard is very much useless, Methelyene blue somewhat ok for a dip but not a treatment. Melafix is Teak tree oil and maybe ok for goldfish otherwise useless, stress coat is merely a water conditioner and does not relieve stress, focus is a binder for medication and really not needed, Rid ich is also a joke in better terms and Avoid Metroplex unless absolutely needed as it has to be used precisely at .5gm by weight which is a tiny amount
Considering I just finished 2 rounds of Paracleanse would PraziPro still be as effective? I’ve read that Prazi is less effective after dosing so many rounds since bacteria that builds up consumes it? And is it worth doing a freshwater dip before the Prazi or would that be too much added stress on the fish? And thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Considering I just finished 2 rounds of Paracleanse would PraziPro still be as effective? I’ve read that Prazi is less effective after dosing so many rounds since bacteria that builds up consumes it? And is it worth doing a freshwater dip before the Prazi or would that be too much added stress on the fish? And thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it.
Prazi can be dosed as much as 3-4 times but you are referring to resistance of treatment. Prazi for flukes, tes more effective.

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean here when you say NOT all 8 days?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What do you mean here when you say NOT all 8 days?
Often we recommended two treatments 8 days apart and there have been a few persons who dosed each day for 8 days. Its One application lasting 8 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Copper Power
Ruby Rally Pro
PraziPro
Nitrofurazone
Methylene Blue
Paraguard
Metroplex
Kanaplex
Melafix
Stress Coat+
Focus
Rid Ich Plus
Well, in my first post I alluded to the chance that this could be a viral issue. Those are a lot more common than people realize. There are also other causes of rapid breathing that cannot be treated - anything causes anemia in the fish will cause rapid breathing. Since we can’t treat for those, we focus on those that can be treated - flukes for example.

Can you refresh my memory - are there other fish in this tank? Are they showing any symptoms,

Jay

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in my first post I alluded to the chance that this could be a viral issue. Those are a lot more common than people realize. There are also other causes of rapid breathing that cannot be treated - anything causes anemia in the fish will cause rapid breathing. Since we can’t treat for those, we focus on those that can be treated - flukes for example.

Can you refresh my memory - are there other fish in this tank? Are they showing any symptoms,

Jay
Very interesting I didn’t know viral issues were somewhat common. No other fish are showing symptoms of any notable behaviour other than maybe my yellow corris wrasse. The wrasse like mentioned before, flashes against rocks or sand a couple times every hour and has very slight white patches which I assume are from the rubbing. The white patches haven’t gotten any bigger and I don’t believe they remain in the same spot for too long. She has been like that for more than 5 months with no other symptoms as well.

I started prazipro yesterday. I’ve noticed more fin rot this morning on the goby as well as a few white bumps behind the gills.

Attachments

• IMG_5669.jpeg
    IMG_5669.jpeg
    201.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_5653.jpeg
    IMG_5653.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 20

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting I didn’t know viral issues were somewhat common. No other fish are showing symptoms of any notable behaviour other than maybe my yellow corris wrasse. The wrasse like mentioned before, flashes against rocks or sand a couple times every hour and has very slight white patches which I assume are from the rubbing. The white patches haven’t gotten any bigger and I don’t believe they remain in the same spot for too long. She has been like that for more than 5 months with no other symptoms as well.

I started prazipro yesterday. I’ve noticed more fin rot this morning on the goby as well as a few white bumps behind the gills.

Viral diseases are really common, but untreatable and cannot be diagnosed in the home.

None of those pictures seem to sure definitive fluke infections, but then, the symptoms of that are pretty difficult to see visually.

The best that I can say, lame as it is, is to see how the Prazipro works - give it three days. You will need to dose it again after 8 days if it seemed to show any benefit.

Jay

OP
OP
M

Myles.360

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Viral diseases are really common, but untreatable and cannot be diagnosed in the home.

None of those pictures seem to sure definitive fluke infections, but then, the symptoms of that are pretty difficult to see visually.

The best that I can say, lame as it is, is to see how the Prazipro works - give it three days. You will need to dose it again after 8 days if it seemed to show any benefit.

Jay
After day three I will see how he looks, thank you

Just to summarize all of his symptoms include, coughing, heavy breathing, head butting into corners with his mouth(almost like he’s eating pods off the glass but isn’t), wedging himself into the smallest holes, rubbing his chin on the ground, lethargy, buoyancy trouble, fin rot on pectoral fins and now has bigger white spots behind his gills(2-4 MAX). I can’t really tell if it’s just sand on his fins or actual white dots. He is the newest addition to the tank. He was added just a little more than a month ago after a month of observation in a different tank. After adding him he was doing fine for the first 3 weeks(sifting and building his den) but then started with the coughing and led to where we are now. With the symptoms described and after no signs of improvement after 3 days, should I consider a different treatment? Thank you.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After day three I will see how he looks, thank you

Just to summarize all of his symptoms include, coughing, heavy breathing, head butting into corners with his mouth(almost like he’s eating pods off the glass but isn’t), wedging himself into the smallest holes, rubbing his chin on the ground, lethargy, buoyancy trouble, fin rot on pectoral fins and now has bigger white spots behind his gills(2-4 MAX). I can’t really tell if it’s just sand on his fins or actual white dots. He is the newest addition to the tank. He was added just a little more than a month ago after a month of observation in a different tank. After adding him he was doing fine for the first 3 weeks(sifting and building his den) but then started with the coughing and led to where we are now. With the symptoms described and after no signs of improvement after 3 days, should I consider a different treatment? Thank you.
The goby is not eating at all, right?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes from what I can tell

O.K., sorry I don't have a course of action for you, that happens pretty often, not much is known about some marine fish diseases.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back