Bella goby spawn

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been successful with catching sleeper goby fry and if so, were you able to rear them?

I have a pair of Bella gobies that spawn like clockwork however, they are in a 220 so pulling the egg burrow is next to impossible.

My female is nice and plump so I give her days before she heads to the burrow for almost a week again.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone been successful with catching sleeper goby fry and if so, were you able to rear them?

I have a pair of Bella gobies that spawn like clockwork however, they are in a 220 so pulling the egg burrow is next to impossible.

My female is nice and plump so I give her days before she heads to the burrow for almost a week again.
I caught a couple bella goby spawns.

They are phototactic so not all that hard to catch. I was not successful in raising them.

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing and very gentle turkey baster slurking?
Well mine released right after dark. So my tank is in my living room the first time I just saw them while watching TV. After that I could pretty well predict what day so I'd just turn the pumps off right before dark and then I used a clean cup to scoop. But you get so many you can also use a net or sieve to concentrate them.

I got thousands so you only have to be careful for a few hundred.

OP
OP
reefsamurai

reefsamurai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine released right after dark. So my tank is in my living room the first time I just saw them while watching TV. After that I could pretty well predict what day so I'd just turn the pumps off right before dark and then I used a clean cup to scoop. But you get so many you can also use a net or sieve to concentrate them.

I got thousands so you only have to be careful for a few hundred.
how long did they live for? What were you attempting to feed them? What kind of setup were you using to house them?

SaltBabies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a round plastic fish bowl with air line. I attempted copepods, brine and dry food. I had some success with each. I needed to cut down on the number of fry though. I kept running of live food. The dead food I didn't manage the ammonia well enough. I had more than one species I was breeding at the time and just didn't manage to pay enough attention to the bellas. I figured I get regular batches and I did until the male died.

Grumblez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of gobies have been raised successfully so I would guess its possible, but probably not good for a first timer to try lol. I would get some Type S rotifers and try with that, look at clownfish breeding setups to get an idea

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a round plastic fish bowl with air line. I attempted copepods, brine and dry food. I had some success with each. I needed to cut down on the number of fry though. I kept running of live food. The dead food I didn't manage the ammonia well enough. I had more than one species I was breeding at the time and just didn't manage to pay enough attention to the bellas. I figured I get regular batches and I did until the male died.
I know this is an old post but one of my beloved bella gobies died and now the mate that is left won't come out if the burrow. Haven't seen him eat or sift either. Is it mourning? Could not ever tell them apart so I'm guessing on gender. Did yours act differently after the mate died? Thanks

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My concern would be that something is wrong, conditions-wise, that killed the one fish and is harming the other.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was my golden dwarf morey eel. Just decided after 6yrs to pick a fight at night with the bellas that have been in the tank for at least 2 or more years.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In that case, the other one might be scared of the eel that it's learned is dangerous. Or it might be mourning its mate- I don't know if gobies are capable of mourning. I'd be more inclined to think it's the eel.

Suesea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I thought it might be all the things that you have mentioned. But I guess time will tell.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back