BenaPilot's 75 Gallon Build

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gReetings, R2R!

I've been in the aquarium hobby on and off since high school in the '80s, cichlids mostly. About 5 years ago I finally had enough "disposable" income and job stability to get into saltwater.

I've currently been running a 46 gallon bowfront set on a steel stand with my own custom made cabinet surround that I can completely remove:

It's evolved much over the last 5 years. I've learned a lot, tweaked a bunch, and am ready for an upgrade!

Last summer I got a great deal on a 75 gallon aquarium. Over the last 6 months I've been collecting information, pieces and parts.

Here's the plan:
75 Gallon Aquarium (it's a beast! 1/2" glass, no center brace)
DIY wood stand with removeable front and side panels
DIY canopy
2x Hydra 26 (possible 2x 36"-48" T-5 supplememnts)
2x Jebao RW-4
Gyre 130
H2Overflow
20 Gallon long sump using
Vertex Omega 130 protein skimmer
BRS Carbon/GFO reactor running the two mixed
UV Sterilizer
Tom's Aqualifter for kalk ATO from two 5 gallon jugs plumbed in parallel
Digital Aquatics Archon controller
Auto water change system using two SpectraPure pumps
Tampa Bay Saltwater live rock and sand

Next up.... preparing the tank.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the aquarium I have:

It's a little old and the silicone was a little torn up and discolored. I decided to carefully scrape it all out, being careful not to dig into the seams between the glass panels. I took my time, used several fresh razor blades, alcohol, and even acetone.

Next I taped off the glass and laid in some new silicone. I used the black aquarium silicone from BRS.

75 Gallon Aquarium Build by benapilot, on Flickr

I'm anxious to get it on my newly build stand and fill it with water- see how I did with the silicone!

Ready for paint....

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wasn't a fan of the 1990's oak look on the trim. I also want a black background.
For the back, I just got some cheap black paint from Walmart as well as a couple cans of Krylon Fusion. I rolled a couple coats on the back glass. I used a few coats of Krylon on the trim and used up the last of the can on the back glass.

With the aquarium all ready for water, time to get to work on the stand....

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice good job can't wait to see more. Subscribed to your build.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my current system, I can pull the wood surround completely out of the way for total access to the sump area. I really like being able to do this, so I'm building my new stand with that in mind. Not only is it convenient for maintenance, but I'll be able to update the look of the stand if our decor ever changes.

Using the template found on a RC thread, I designed my own frame with a larger base to allow me to push the sump out the back- this will not only give me more room for stuff in front of the sump, but my drain lines shout have a straight run.

Building the top frame (the plywood is not part of the frame, I'm just using it as workspace on top of my table saw):
Untitled by benapilot, on Flickr

Top and bottom frames on the left, here I'm building one of the front vertical supports:

I bought a pocket hole Kreg jig just for this project and it's been great!! It'll really come in handy when I build the face:

Untitled
by benapilot, on Flickr

Here it is all put together... just needs plywood on the bottom:

Someone who knows more about wood structures than I do suggested the 2x6 on the back to prevent racking- it'll also come in handy to run cables and cords:

I added some trim pieces and paintable kitchen/bath calk around the edges. I figure if I get a small water leak or dripping, it'll be somewhat contained. I'll run some leak detector cables around the perimeter to alert me:

I painted two coats of Zinser 1-2-3 Primer and two coats of Rust-Oleum Appliance Epoxy:

Stay tuned.... prefab sump baffling is in the mail.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today's progress:

Currently my controller and modules are attached to a piece of plywood fixed to the wall in the corner behind my aquarium with a rat's next of wires and cords hanging from it. For the new tank, I'd like to be organized and neat like many of the setups I've seen on the forums.
First up, make a "compartment" for all the modules. It's basically a partition I made out of some left over 1/4" plywood and trim from another project. It's not completely enclosed... I may regret that later, but I think this'll work. It'll be easy to rout the cords up and over the panel. I'm leaning towards affixing a few velcro strips on the panel to attach everything to make it easy if I need to reconfigure anything. I think I'll attach the Archon power bars behind the 2x6.
I also mounted a rack mount power strip for my Hydra lights, cabinet light, AI Director, and anything else I think I'll need to be switched... Should I plug my controller power bars here? I used a piece of composite shim as a mounting bracket.

(Sorry for the blurry first picture)

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to put it on the floor, level it, and fill 'er up! Since I redid the silicone, I thought I'd better leak check it before getting too far into the project! That and I can get all the plumbing set exactly where it needs to be before going live in the house!

:Plywood and shims (garage floors are NOT level!)

Glad I kept my Python from my freshwater days!

Temporary plumbing

No leaks yet... stand is rock solid!

That's the H2Overflow from Custom Aquariums in the middle. My plan is to run it as a full siphon with the standpipe on the left as an emergency overflow. I'll need to take some time getting the correct level. Return on the right is the Siphon Stopper, also from Custom Aquariums

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting day for me today!
All my plumbing arrived and I got it all assembled.
I also got a new mini BRS reactor for carbon today, plus the silicone tube upgrade. I grabbed my other reactor temporarily to locate and run the tubing. Once I had all that in place, I plugged in my return pump to see if all worked.

Everything is great... except for a small leak in a glued fitting on the return run. It's a reducer from the 3/4" return pipe into the 1/2" elbow screwed into the bulkhead. Hopefully it'll be an easy swap out...

I've got it all running into a 20Long sump- I've got a 30 gallon aquarium on order from my LFS. I've got my returns pointing to where the 30 will be with silicone tubing into the 20 just for now:

BRS mini reactor coming off the manifold. I'll run just carbon in this one:

Here's with the other reactor in place. This will be for GFO or Biopellets:

Another view of the manifold. I was concerned the Jecod DCT-4000 pump wouldn't be enough to feed the tank and manifold, but it looks good so far!

I was able to fine tune the return to make my H2Overflow a full siphon with just a trickle going down the emergency overflow. It's quiet- I love it! The only thing I hear is the whine of the DC pump. It's a higher pitch than the low hum of an AC pump. Not sure if it's at all quieter, just a different sound.

After I fix the leak and figure out how to secure the PVC to the back of the stand, it'll be time to work on the canopy- and mount some lights!!

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fixed the leak. I had to replace the threaded elbow, reducing bushing, and union. Took 10 minutes and two trips to Lowes! Fortunately I live close!

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to secure the PVC pipes to the stand. I really didn't want wood blocks, so I decided to come up with my own design. Easy-peasy on Tinkercad. I have a friend who's going to let me borrow her 3D printer. While I'm at it, I'll print some other things...

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the 3D printer up and running and started making my pvc brackets.
55d77549ac3a78609930435349a176b4.jpg

I also started on the canopy. It's made from 1x4 rails and 1x3 stiles with 1/4" plywood in between. I used my new router table to cut the slots. I'll use the same techniques on the main stand facade.
1b448216abfa4dfd7261c2b39df91eda.jpg

90a21d874c3243074623c682cdeef2ed.jpg

General Finishes Java Gel Stain
afe8fc44707ed4ee4b618e9d05fe9ceb.jpg

27fa9ecf0ca2a462c9b6e34923650ac9.jpg

Last edited:

Catchemall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is so cool I want a 3D printer. Lol I'd make all kinds of stuff

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build, keep us posted! 3D printer is nice to make those custom pieces!!

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 30 gallon for the sump. I'm using pre-made baffles from Exotic Marine Systems: http://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/products/diy-sump-kit-complete-kit

Taylor does a great job with his baffle kits. I wish I would have seen his overflow kits before drilling my tank for the H2Overflow.

All taped up for silicone:

Drying:

Finished product:

I used cupboard lining under the sump in an effort to dampen any vibration from the pumps. Hopefully the weight of the water in the sump won't compress it too much to be effective.

OP
OP
benapilot

benapilot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some progress on my canopy:

Now I'm trying to figure out how to mount the front. Piano hinge or magnetic.... I'm leaning towards it being able to come completely off. However that could be a pain for when I want to just throw a few flakes at the fish...

I'm printing brackets for my AI Hydras right now... so excited how this is going to turn out!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back