Beneficial Bacteria in the Water Column?

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to explain to someone that there is very little beneficial bacteria in the water column and using old tank water will not assist the cycling process to any significant degree-rather unsuccessfully. Does anyone have any decent explanation, links that would explain this? This article does not exist anymore https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature
Thanks.

Last edited:

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of explanation you are looking for ? Microbial population plays a vital role that’s known by experience and academic research (search of meta genomics and salt water aquarium). For cycling specifically , there are bottled bacteria from reputable brands so I’ll expect those products to have some background information . Start from there …

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to explain to someone that there is very little beneficial bacteria in the water column and using old tank water will not assist the cycling process to any significant degree-rather unsuccessfully. Does anyone have any decent explanation, links that would explain this? This article does not exist anymore https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/3/aafeature
Thanks.
What exactly do you mean by beneficial bacteria?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a tank being cycled in twenty days by adding only reef water. reef water 100% has cycling bacteria available for use and transfer, the old adage is wrong.

reef water has millions of transferable cells of bacteria that will certainly cycle.

We are trained to buy bacteria from a bottle by being told incorrectly that cycles stall, or cant come free of charge by simple wait times, or by using simply old tank water.

the next time a MACNA speaker talks about cycling they need to address:

-NeonRabbits findings that a free cycle happens in a mere 30 days wait, like a cycling chart says, no feed or bottle bac required and why testing cycle rules on seneye isn’t like testing on red sea or api

-how reef water carries lots of cycling bacteria in every tank

-how seneye testing allowed the masses to find their own truths completely opposite from former cycling training, pre seneye

- how nitrite does not stall any reef cycle and never has

-how no cycles have stalled, stalled cycle posts are all misreading color compare tests. Cycles complete based on a predetermined date relative to the boosters we choose to use and if no boosters are used, they still complete on a time scale already known (this reliability allows MACNA conventions to start on time with rows of ready reefs)
Inputting dead bottle bac isn’t a stall, it’s an unassisted cycle timeline that still cycles fully in a month or so

-they need to discuss how live rock transfers are complete instant skip cycles, every time, without variation (it’s how these conventions are made)

inputting live bottle bac gets you instant ammonia control such that fish-in cycles aren’t harming fish, they’re just breaking disease protocols<- I saw Jon M’s seneye posts measuring Dr Tims as a recent example

the speaker needs to discuss why sellers at marine aquarium conventions dont have to adhere to rules they give buyers out in the field, regarding timely reef tank starts vs the risks of ‘stalls’

am pouncing the establishment not the op ~ all printed material for cycling says opposite of my claims

takeaways reefcentral can benefit from: don’t make mods the regulators of findings and information, you’ll stifle your board to the point frozen molasses runs faster.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any article on the internet will explain what you are looking for.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria has mass and it does not swim. If the water is stagnant, it sinks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Dan was alluding to, there are many types of bacteria that may be considered beneficial and many will be in the water, not just on surfaces.

Used tank water is likely not useless since it will add bacteria that have many benefits, but it does not cause instant cycling since those bacteria will take substantial time to increase in numbers needed.

As to the article you were looking for, I doubt it answers the question, but it is easy to find old articles when you have a link. Use the internet archive:

But it is also still live here:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Dr Tims video that nearly everyone gets cycle training from said reef tank water doesn’t have nitrifiers. I’ve always taken that to mean certain species aren’t found in water, but many stand ins still are

couldn’t explain how Tuffloud cycled that tank any other way…I had to fill in some gaps left in order to explain the work thread patterns emerging showing zero impacts from nitrite presence and ability to cycle reefs off reef water.

building up proofs that we don’t always have to buy or embellish the reef to get free water bac to do things in water is fun patterning. The board is so active with willing participants it’s a goldmine of data just waiting to be arranged.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is very little beneficial bacteria in the water column and using old tank water will not assist the cycling process to any significant degree
This is a more subtle question than it appears.

Statement a)
There is very little beneficial bacteria [nitrifiers / tank cyclers] in the water column

and Statement b)
using old tank water will not assist cycling to any significant degree

I agree with statement A, but not entirely B.
If I take your water out of the tank and spike it with 0.5ppm ammonia, the time to process that will be unacceptably long for a reef - days to weeks. So as far as the chemistry is concerned, there is an insignificant amount of nitrifying bacteria in the water.

But, if I take your tank water out and move it to a new dry rock system, the nitrification will happen much faster than if only saltwater is added, and the tank would have far higher diversity of bacterial actors than if you just added a bottle of nitrifiers to a dry rock system. (but the bottle of nitrifiers would be faster.)
So there are biologically relevant amounts of beneficial bacteria [nitrifiers and others] in mature tank water, even if it's not large enough populations to change the chemistry readings immediately.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's more to beneficial bacteria than just nitrifiers. But quite a lot of it seems to come in on rocks (eg some of the PNS stuff and other chemotrophs).

No one sells used water. Simple as that.
Not entirely true. I saw in the BRS video where Jen set up the instatank 900, she used water from her store to seed it and says she does for clients when setting up tanks. And I mean if you buy bottle bac, you don't buy a big rock...

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

for the op- what makes you want to cycle with corals, curious about that

your question is missing core context details: if you are dry rock cycling that’s one thing, if you are using transferred live rock from another tank that can instantly use corals because that’s skip cycling.

since the hobby has no written material on cycling other than dose ammonia to 2 ppm, add bottled bac for purchase, wait months until nitrite complies (this is the buyers info, recall the sellers never do any of this) the lack of clarity is understandable.

here’s a dry start tank, with corals on day one.

see how bottle bac doesn’t allow free ammonia to remain for days (unless api is the tester)

that’s not really a cycling tank, that too was skip cycled even though it was dry rocks. Curious to see what reefcentral comes up with, they aren’t allowed to see or be influenced by our findings so responses there will be unique to experience on the site.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am legit interested to see what reefcentral finds regarding waterborne bacteria/utility etc, someone post the question there so we can compare and contrast

post the question at nano-reef.com too so we can link it

I bet Seabass gets it right.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aren't the majority of the Ammonia-oxidizing Archaea in the water column?

I think there is not agreement that most of the ammonia in a reef tank is oxidized that way. What happens in mid ocean far from solid surfaces where fish are not in high density may be very different than what happens in a reef tank or on a coral reef.

Simple experience with folks in the past using old water and new setups (including my own experiences when I won a set up tank at a MACNA with a huge number of fish in it) suggest it is not ready for a substantial ammonia demand, but I've not seen any careful testing.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that the interaction with surface area and biofilm establishment/community resourcing for mixed species that handle nitrification really boosts up the ability shortly after adding. agreed the initial ability from water wouldnt compare to even a week's wait in the presence of attachable rocks and sand area. I think roughly then the carry ability really expands. tbd one day in the future

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what approach had you researching about cycling w corals, curious to know

were you using dry rocks or live rock simply moved among tanks as the base

your question can also be interpreted as asking whether attaining detectable free ammonia is required to even cycle at all

it isnt... core outcome of recent findings. the 2 ppm thing is merely one way to cycle among many

and the ends are the same, relative to surface area and attachment points and positioning in the flow scheme.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 80 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.0%
Back