OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Mccoskers wrasse is the only fish in my tank that will eat all the frozen mix i put in. The rest just want mysis and lrs chunks ldk the point if mixing everything up when i see 50% of the food just floating around and the missile just shooting around eating it all up. They do like pellets and algae wafers.
Ask around for samples you'll be surprised . I have a few fish that would take months before they even try something different . Little-by-little

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My massive collection of TWO fish love flakes over everything else, for whatever reason.

I feed mix of flake and various frozen.
I buy live clams/mussels from grocery store and chop/freeze.
Clam/mussel chunks for specific inverts but also mince some up and throw in with my flake "dump" a couple/few times a week.

Just started using Selcon in the mix because,,, uhhh,,, the more the merrier?

My fish absolutely love ocean nutrition flakes

OP
OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fats, aminos, vitamins and acids.

food1.jpg
1658802567009.png
I'm very impressed ! your fish must look forward to meal time

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ask around for samples you'll be surprised . I have a few fish that would take months before they even try something different . Little-by-little
Yeah they wont even entertain food floating on the surface. Only the clowns will eat stuff up there. My fish just act like they cant see the smaller pieces.

OP
OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they wont even entertain food floating on the surface. Only the clowns will eat stuff up there. My fish just act like they cant see the smaller pieces.
Have you ever tried putting food in a small cup with water then pouring it in the tank I've noticed fish do not like to go up to the surface at all .

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year when I had a Seneye running I noticed the biggest ammonia bump when I fed live black worms. I’m sure the fish benefit from a variety of food but what do the corals benefit from the most?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried putting food in a small cup with water then pouring it in the tank I've noticed fish do not like to go up to the surface at all .
I use a turkey baster and mix with the food and saltwater then bast it into the tank. My issue (if its even an issue) is they don’t eat the smaller particles of food. Only the wrasse and clowns. The rest want big chunks.

OP
OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year when I had a Seneye running I noticed the biggest ammonia bump when I fed live black worms. I’m sure the fish benefit from a variety of food but what do the corals benefit from the most?
Alot of people feed black worms... I personally would never . If it doesn't come from the ocean I will not feed that to my ocean animals . Definitely make sure whatever species of corals you have feed what they would eat in the wild . Of course don't over do it and don't always just dump food on top of corals . Remember in a wild they don't get that lucky they'll catch it in the current sometimes they do sometimes they don't. Definitely try reef nutrition .

Attachments

• 20220726_212800.jpg
    20220726_212800.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a turkey baster and mix with the food and saltwater then bast it into the tank. My issue (if its even an issue) is they don’t eat the smaller particles of food. Only the wrasse and clowns. The rest want big chunks.
Fish normally like to eat gulp size foods . It all depends on size of the fish . Try R.O.E fish eggs . Small and big fish love them like a treats .

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Variety is good
Do you have a source for this? When I change my cat's diet she vomits for days because variety isn't good. In a podcast interview with Aquarium Co-Op the CEO of Xtreme foods provided anecdotal evidence of feeding a single food with all the nutrients a fish needs being the best method. The evidence was his brother's fish farm that's been around for decades. It's episode 71 here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/podcast

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a source for this? When I change my cat's diet she vomits for days because variety isn't good. In a podcast interview with Aquarium Co-Op the CEO of Xtreme foods provided anecdotal evidence of feeding a single food with all the nutrients a fish needs being the best method. The evidence was his brother's fish farm that's been around for decades. It's episode 71 here: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/podcast
I do multiple actually. Cats aren’t fish though and it could’ve been numerous other things than that. Look at it this way in the wild many fish are opportunistic feeders like clownfish eat so many different things and before you say these articles are for freshwater they still apply. They don’t just eat the same thing everyday even tangs which are algae eaters eat different types of algae. https://www.aqueon.com/articles/how-to-properly-feed-your-fish https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/165/?aid=165
Here’s one for saltwater: https://www.thesprucepets.com/top-foods-of-choice-saltwater-fishes-2924836
And whether a fish is a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore their meals are going to vary in the wild depending on what they find/capture for dinner.

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do multiple actually. Cats aren’t fish though and it could’ve been numerous other things than that. Look at it this way in the wild many fish are opportunistic feeders like clownfish eat so many different things and before you say these articles are for freshwater they still apply. They don’t just eat the same thing everyday even tangs which are algae eaters eat different types of algae. https://www.aqueon.com/articles/how-to-properly-feed-your-fish https://m.liveaquaria.com/article/165/?aid=165
Here’s one for saltwater: https://www.thesprucepets.com/top-foods-of-choice-saltwater-fishes-2924836
And whether a fish is a carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore their meals are going to vary in the wild depending on what they find/capture for dinner.
I wouldn't exactly call Aqueon or LiveAquaria sources. Here I got a better one for you, that's a bit more scientific:

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do and will continue to feed multiple foods to my fish, I'm leaning toward agreeing with @ultraArcite that at least it's not necessary.

I feed up to 3 types of frozen, 2 types of quality pellets, 2 kinds of freeze dried soaked in selcon, algae, and masstick. Plus phyto, coral food, aminos, and vitamins. My dad feeds frozen brine shrimp and shrimp pellets. Noticable difference in fish health between tanks? None.

He's got fish he's had for years including a clown that's going on 14. I'm not going to stop because I like it but I'm starting to think the variety is more for my enjoyment. Feeding different food breaks up the routine lol.

OP
OP
LagoonParadise22

LagoonParadise22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your always feeding multiple foods but don't notice the benefits? ... try 2 types of food only and comeback and let me know if 2 types of food works for you .

ultraArcite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I do and will continue to feed multiple foods to my fish, I'm leaning toward agreeing with @ultraArcite that at least it's not necessary.

I feed up to 3 types of frozen, 2 types of quality pellets, 2 kinds of freeze dried soaked in selcon, algae, and masstick. Plus phyto, coral food, aminos, and vitamins. My dad feeds frozen brine shrimp and shrimp pellets. Noticable difference in fish health between tanks? None.

He's got fish he's had for years including a clown that's going on 14. I'm not going to stop because I like it but I'm starting to think the variety is more for my enjoyment. Feeding different food breaks up the routine lol.
After doing some research, I'm actually going to expand the 3 foods I use to 5. Current, I feed live baby brine, spirulina mysis, and masstick. I'm going to add Xtreme Nice pellets and another pellet like PE Calanus or something similar. I add a lot of pods every month so I'm not concerned. I just saw someone make a claim with no valid support and wanted to learn.

My cat will continue to eat a single brand and variety of food

Astronomical

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your always feeding multiple foods but don't notice the benefits? ... try 2 types of food only and comeback and let me know if 2 types of food works for you .

Did you miss the part where I anecdotally compared two different tanks with different feeding regiments over several years and observed no noticeable difference?

Personally I think feeding a variety of food is a fun part of fish keeping that definitely couldn't hurt. However unless you're keeping difficult fish with very specialized diets I don't think it's absolutly nessesary to long term fish health. I'm sure you could have success with just one type of food.

Last edited:

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do 1 cube of a dozen frozen varieties, selco/selcon, then LRS's reef frenzy, fish frenzy or herbivore frenzy, plus Nori, 3-4 assorted pellets, flake, Masstick, then a slew of chilled; clam & oyster feast, phyto, eggs, and a few others....bottom line my brood is Fat!

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, my concern with single source feeding is nutrient profile. We keep multiple genus of fish in reefing, and they all have different diets. I would not expect one food to cover them all. A varied diet comprising many sources has the best chance of being nutritionally complete for all species of fish. For those mentioning domesticated animals (cats, dogs, and the like) there is decades of research on what is needed and essential for that particular species (they are all the same genus and species). The same is NOT true of our reef fish which come from different genuses, geographically areas, and actually different areas of the reef (shallow versus deepwater species).

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back