Benefits of dosing phytoplankton in your aquarium.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What is Phytoplankton?

IMG_6509.jpeg

Microalgae, what we call phytoplankton, are aquatic, microscopic, single-celled, photosynthetic organisms. Similar to plants (their land counterparts), phytoplankton have chlorophyll in their cells, and generate food through the process of photosynthesis.

Phytoplankton are primary producers and form the foundation of virtually all marine food chains, supporting marine ecosystems and making other aquatic life possible. Phytoplankton is such an important piece of the biome both in the wild and in our aquariums, making phytoplankton an essential component to a balanced reef ecosystem.

Nutritional Value of Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton is an abundant source of macro- and micronutrients. You will find protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, lipids, and trace elements. One of the most important nutrients contained within phytoplankton cells are lipids, in particular Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids, often referred to as highly unsaturated fats (HUFA), are absolutely essential for the health and coloration of marine invertebrates and fish. Of these fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA (found generally in green-colored phytoplankton species) and docosahexaenoic acid or DHA (found generally in brown-colored phytoplankton species) are of critical importance to marine life, with DHA proving to be the more essential of the two. This is why our phyto buffet incorporates 5 brown strains, 4 green strains, and one red strain added for improved coral coloration.

When dosing phytoplankton in an aquarium, in order to obtain maximum nutrition, dosing multiple species with various nutritional profiles is important. A good dosing regimen for a reef aquarium is a

MINIMUM of one strain of a high-EPA (e.g., Chorella) and one strain of a high-DHA algae (e.g., Thalassiosira wiesflogii) to ensure that the aquarium inhabitants receive proper nutrition.

What Consumes Phytoplankton?

Whether in the wild or in aquariums, phytoplankton is a perfect food for: Corals, clams, feather dusters, scallops, tunicates and sponges, copepods, tube-worms, sea squirts, and other suspension-feeding invertebrates. In aquariums, regular dosing of phytoplankton increases the health, coloration, growth, and polyp extension of corals. It also increases the development and vibrancy of your marine life, and boosts zooplankton populations.

Maintaining Water Quality

Phytoplankton can play a major role in water quality and nutrient recycling through their consumption of nitrogenous wastes. Phytoplankton consume nitrogen and phosphorous to perform photosynthesis. In an aquarium environment, adding LIVE phytoplankton will reduce your nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels as the living phytoplankton consume these nutrients for photosynthesis.

Not only will live phytoplankton help reduce NO3 and PO4 levels, but through photosynthesis the phytoplankton help balance pH levels by increasing dissolved oxygen levels in the aquarium while simultaneously reducing carbon dioxide levels.

How drastically can phytoplankton affect water quality? It turns out, quite a lot! In fact, because phytoplanktons are so effective at nutrient uptake and because of their capacity for exponential growth, phytoplankton are sometimes utilized at municipal water treatment facilities to remove primary nutrients from sewage and wastewater. So, if phytoplankton can tackle sewage, just imagine the work that phytoplankton can do in your aquarium!

Outcompeting Nuisance Algae

A further benefit of dosing live phytoplankton in an aquarium is to help reduce or prevent nuisance algae growth (e.g., hair algae, bryopsis, cyano, etc.). Nuisance algae in aquariums consume the same nutrients as live phytoplankton to grow and survive. If live phytoplankton is dosed regularly and consumes these nutrients, the nuisance algae will eventually wither away.

What to Look for in a Quality Phytoplankton Product

There are a lot of phytoplankton products on the aquarium market, and there is a lot of misinformation about what constitutes a quality phytoplankton product. If you are looking for a quality phytoplankton product that will give your reef the benefits of maximum nutrition, optimal water quality, and help reduce nuisance algae growth, then here's what you need to look for:

• MULTI-SPECIE BLEND
Our PHYTO BUFFET contains a blend of 10 species of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

***For proper nutrition, you need to dose a MINIMUM of TWO species of phytoplankton.***

• EPA & DHA (GREENS & BROWNS)
Our PHYTO BUFFET contains 5 browns, 4 greens and 1 red strains of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

**It is critical to dose BOTH high-EPA (typically "green") and high-DHA (typically "brown") species.***

• LIVE (in contrast to concentrates, pastes, or cryopreserved)
Our PHYTO BUFFET is harvested fresh and live each week on the shipping day providing you with the highest quality product you can get.

***In order to receive the benefits of nutrient consumption, the product must be LIVE.***

• NO PRESERVATIVES, GELS, BINDERS, OR OTHER ADDITIVES
Our PHYTO BUFFET is cultured in sterilized water in sterile vessels with no additives or preservatives ever added.

***Avoid products with additives that could be potentially harmful to your reef.***

If you are interested in a steady supply of phytoplankton and or zooplankton, you can purchase regularly, set up a subscription, or culture your own. There are costs and benefits to evaluate to determine which is right for your personal needs. With a set up like our Custom Culturing Kits a person can be successful with the proper instruction. My favorite reefer @Ocean_Queenie has successfully cultured two strains of phytoplankton and a nice population of Apocyclops copepods on her first attempt using this Kit.

IMG_6487.jpeg

Check out our selection at www.reefbysteele.com

Ocean_Queenie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What is Phytoplankton?

IMG_6509.jpeg

Microalgae, what we call phytoplankton, are aquatic, microscopic, single-celled, photosynthetic organisms. Similar to plants (their land counterparts), phytoplankton have chlorophyll in their cells, and generate food through the process of photosynthesis.

Phytoplankton are primary producers and form the foundation of virtually all marine food chains, supporting marine ecosystems and making other aquatic life possible. Phytoplankton is such an important piece of the biome both in the wild and in our aquariums, making phytoplankton an essential component to a balanced reef ecosystem.

Phytoplankton is an abundant source of macro- and micronutrients. You will find protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, lipids, and trace elements. One of the most important nutrients contained within phytoplankton cells are lipids, in particular Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids, often referred to as highly unsaturated fats (HUFA), are absolutely essential for the health and coloration of marine invertebrates and fish. Of these fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA (found generally in green-colored phytoplankton species) and docosahexaenoic acid or DHA (found generally in brown-colored phytoplankton species) are of critical importance to marine life, with DHA proving to be the more essential of the two. This is why our phyto buffet incorporates 5 brown strains, 4 green strains, and one red strain added for improved coral coloration.

When dosing phytoplankton in an aquarium, in order to obtain maximum nutrition, dosing multiple species with various nutritional profiles is important. A good dosing regimen for a reef aquarium is a

MINIMUM of one strain of a high-EPA (e.g., Chorella) and one strain of a high-DHA algae (e.g., Thalassiosira wiesflogii) to ensure that the aquarium inhabitants receive proper nutrition.

Whether in the wild or in aquariums, phytoplankton is a perfect food for: Corals, clams, feather dusters, scallops, tunicates and sponges, copepods, tube-worms, sea squirts, and other suspension-feeding invertebrates. In aquariums, regular dosing of phytoplankton increases the health, coloration, growth, and polyp extension of corals. It also increases the development and vibrancy of your marine life, and boosts zooplankton populations.

Phytoplankton can play a major role in water quality and nutrient recycling through their consumption of nitrogenous wastes. Phytoplankton consume nitrogen and phosphorous to perform photosynthesis. In an aquarium environment, adding LIVE phytoplankton will reduce your nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels as the living phytoplankton consume these nutrients for photosynthesis.

Not only will live phytoplankton help reduce NO3 and PO4 levels, but through photosynthesis the phytoplankton help balance pH levels by increasing dissolved oxygen levels in the aquarium while simultaneously reducing carbon dioxide levels.

How drastically can phytoplankton affect water quality? It turns out, quite a lot! In fact, because phytoplanktons are so effective at nutrient uptake and because of their capacity for exponential growth, phytoplankton are sometimes utilized at municipal water treatment facilities to remove primary nutrients from sewage and wastewater. So, if phytoplankton can tackle sewage, just imagine the work that phytoplankton can do in your aquarium!

A further benefit of dosing live phytoplankton in an aquarium is to help reduce or prevent nuisance algae growth (e.g., hair algae, bryopsis, cyano, etc.). Nuisance algae in aquariums consume the same nutrients as live phytoplankton to grow and survive. If live phytoplankton is dosed regularly and consumes these nutrients, the nuisance algae will eventually wither away.

There are a lot of phytoplankton products on the aquarium market, and there is a lot of misinformation about what constitutes a quality phytoplankton product. If you are looking for a quality phytoplankton product that will give your reef the benefits of maximum nutrition, optimal water quality, and help reduce nuisance algae growth, then here's what you need to look for:

• MULTI-SPECIE BLEND
Our PHYTO BUFFET contains a blend of 10 species of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

***For proper nutrition, you need to dose a MINIMUM of TWO species of phytoplankton.***

Our PHYTO BUFFET contains 5 browns, 4 greens and 1 red strains of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

**It is critical to dose BOTH high-EPA (typically "green") and high-DHA (typically "brown") species.***

Our PHYTO BUFFET is harvested fresh and live each week on the shipping day providing you with the highest quality product you can get.

***In order to receive the benefits of nutrient consumption, the product must be LIVE.***

Our PHYTO BUFFET is cultured in sterilized water in sterile vessels with no additives or preservatives ever added.

***Avoid products with additives that could be potentially harmful to your reef.***

If you are interested in a steady supply of phytoplankton and or zooplankton, you can purchase regularly, set up a subscription, or culture your own. There are costs and benefits to evaluate to determine which is right for your personal needs. With a set up like our Custom Culturing Kits a person can be successful with the proper instruction. My favorite reefer @Ocean_Queenie has successfully cultured two strains of phytoplankton and a nice population of Apocyclops copepods on her first attempt using this Kit.

IMG_6487.jpeg

If I can do this kit on my own, I’m new to doing this, most anyone can! I sometimes feed our many reefs and talk to the fish, most all of them are named! My grouper, Queenie, is my favorite along with several others, including a puffer, Ruby red dragonet, named “Husker” since I’m from Nebraska and I have another one named “Corn” for the Corn Huskers lol

Last edited:

Neoma369

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What is Phytoplankton?

IMG_6509.jpeg

• MULTI-SPECIE BLEND

IMG_6487.jpeg

I would like to know if there is any benefit to using dry phyto with a nutrient booster? It seems to be perfect for my brine hatchery

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I would like to know if there is any benefit to using dry phyto with a nutrient booster? It seems to be perfect for my brine hatchery
I see no benefit to using it in your brine hatchery unless you are growing them out. I hatch brine in straight saltwater. I feed phyto to the ones I grow out to sustain them then before I feed I put them in straight phyto with a few drops of selcon to gut load and enrich them for nutritional value.

I would think powdered or dead phyto would benefit raising brine or rotifers. The down side is it can cause nutrient problems in small vessels. The live helps. I haven’t used a dry phyto, but started my rotifers on a commercially produced dead phyto and it worked well.

In an aquarium, filter feeders may get some benefit, but non living phyto would add to vs reduce your nitrates and phosphates. I believe it is hard to overdose live phytoplankton but too much dead can cause issues.

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I am assuming UV’s will sterilize phytoplankton when run in parasite mode (90,000+ µw/cm2). Can they survive in the “reef” mode (~45,000 µw/cm2)?

How do reefers dose when utilizing a UV?

Another dumb question…. If occasionally running ozone, does that also affect phytoplankton?

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
From what I understand, UV and Ozone both can neutralize phytoplankton. I run UV but not ozone. So here is my limited knowledge and take on both.

UV run at different flow levels helps with the reduction of algae, and at slower rates kills algae, parasites and bacteria. So I would assume phytoplankton as well. How I avoid or lessen the UV impact is I dose my phytoplankton into my DT with my return pumps and skimmer off for 45 minutes (I use Neptune Apex controller for this function). This allows the phytoplankton to circulate through the DT with my wave makers therefore hopefully the majority gets utilized before it is removed from the system with filters and skimmer.

As for Ozone, no personal experience, but my understanding is that it is used in a reactor or commonly in the skimmer, and should be run through carbon before returning to the main water column. So I would think that shutting down skimmer/reactor for a period of feeding time would allow the phytoplankton to achieve its maximum benefit.

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense. Just hard to know how long to turn off to allow enough time for uptake. Sounds like you are having success with 45 minutes. I wouldn’t want to be chasing my tail regularly dosing phytoplankton only to be destroying most of it!

Also, why turn off returns if your skimmer is off? I have an external refugium connected to the sump. With UV and Skimmer off, seems like I should just let the whole system circulate. - or dose DT and fuge independently.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks. Makes sense. Just hard to know how long to turn off to allow enough time for uptake. Sounds like you are having success with 45 minutes. I wouldn’t want to be chasing my tail regularly dosing phytoplankton only to be destroying most of it!
I set the 45 minutes as it takes me about 10 minutes to get the feeding done. I dose the phyto first.

jonnywink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m fairly new with saltwater so please excuse a stupid question. If I have only fish, snails and live rock, do I need to dose with phytoplankton, or just the pods?

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m fairly new with saltwater so please excuse a stupid question. If I have only fish, snails and live rock, do I need to dose with phytoplankton, or just the pods?
I dose phyto in my Fowler tanks as it helps keep nutrients down. If you are adding pods, ohyto feeds them to keep them healthy and strong so they can reproduce and hopefully colonize.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back