Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
What is Phytoplankton?

IMG_6509.jpeg

Microalgae, what we call phytoplankton, are aquatic, microscopic, single-celled, photosynthetic organisms. Similar to plants (their land counterparts), phytoplankton have chlorophyll in their cells, and generate food through the process of photosynthesis.

Phytoplankton are primary producers and form the foundation of virtually all marine food chains, supporting marine ecosystems and making other aquatic life possible. Phytoplankton is such an important piece of the biome both in the wild and in our aquariums, making phytoplankton an essential component to a balanced reef ecosystem.

Nutritional Value of Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton is an abundant source of macro- and micronutrients. You will find protein, carbohydrates, vitamins, lipids, and trace elements. One of the most important nutrients contained within phytoplankton cells are lipids, in particular Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids, often referred to as highly unsaturated fats (HUFA), are absolutely essential for the health and coloration of marine invertebrates and fish. Of these fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid or EPA (found generally in green-colored phytoplankton species) and docosahexaenoic acid or DHA (found generally in brown-colored phytoplankton species) are of critical importance to marine life, with DHA proving to be the more essential of the two. This is why our phyto buffet incorporates 5 brown strains, 4 green strains, and one red strain added for improved coral coloration.

When dosing phytoplankton in an aquarium, in order to obtain maximum nutrition, dosing multiple species with various nutritional profiles is important. A good dosing regimen for a reef aquarium is a

MINIMUM of one strain of a high-EPA (e.g., Chorella) and one strain of a high-DHA algae (e.g., Thalassiosira wiesflogii) to ensure that the aquarium inhabitants receive proper nutrition.

What Consumes Phytoplankton?

Whether in the wild or in aquariums, phytoplankton is a perfect food for: Corals, clams, feather dusters, scallops, tunicates and sponges, copepods, tube-worms, sea squirts, and other suspension-feeding invertebrates. In aquariums, regular dosing of phytoplankton increases the health, coloration, growth, and polyp extension of corals. It also increases the development and vibrancy of your marine life, and boosts zooplankton populations.

Maintaining Water Quality

Phytoplankton can play a major role in water quality and nutrient recycling through their consumption of nitrogenous wastes. Phytoplankton consume nitrogen and phosphorous to perform photosynthesis. In an aquarium environment, adding LIVE phytoplankton will reduce your nitrate (NO3) and phosphate (PO4) levels as the living phytoplankton consume these nutrients for photosynthesis.

Not only will live phytoplankton help reduce NO3 and PO4 levels, but through photosynthesis the phytoplankton help balance pH levels by increasing dissolved oxygen levels in the aquarium while simultaneously reducing carbon dioxide levels.

How drastically can phytoplankton affect water quality? It turns out, quite a lot! In fact, because phytoplanktons are so effective at nutrient uptake and because of their capacity for exponential growth, phytoplankton are sometimes utilized at municipal water treatment facilities to remove primary nutrients from sewage and wastewater. So, if phytoplankton can tackle sewage, just imagine the work that phytoplankton can do in your aquarium!

Outcompeting Nuisance Algae

A further benefit of dosing live phytoplankton in an aquarium is to help reduce or prevent nuisance algae growth (e.g., hair algae, bryopsis, cyano, etc.). Nuisance algae in aquariums consume the same nutrients as live phytoplankton to grow and survive. If live phytoplankton is dosed regularly and consumes these nutrients, the nuisance algae will eventually wither away.

What to Look for in a Quality Phytoplankton Product

There are a lot of phytoplankton products on the aquarium market, and there is a lot of misinformation about what constitutes a quality phytoplankton product. If you are looking for a quality phytoplankton product that will give your reef the benefits of maximum nutrition, optimal water quality, and help reduce nuisance algae growth, then here's what you need to look for:

• MULTI-SPECIE BLEND
Our PHYTO BUFFET contains a blend of 10 species of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

***For proper nutrition, you need to dose a MINIMUM of TWO species of phytoplankton.***

• EPA & DHA (GREENS & BROWNS)
Our PHYTO BUFFET contains 5 browns, 4 greens and 1 red strains of phytoplankton covering all the nutritional needs of your aquarium.

**It is critical to dose BOTH high-EPA (typically "green") and high-DHA (typically "brown") species.***

• LIVE (in contrast to concentrates, pastes, or cryopreserved)
Our PHYTO BUFFET is harvested fresh and live each week on the shipping day providing you with the highest quality product you can get.

***In order to receive the benefits of nutrient consumption, the product must be LIVE.***

• NO PRESERVATIVES, GELS, BINDERS, OR OTHER ADDITIVES
Our PHYTO BUFFET is cultured in sterilized water in sterile vessels with no additives or preservatives ever added.

***Avoid products with additives that could be potentially harmful to your reef.***

If you are interested in a steady supply of phytoplankton and or zooplankton, you can purchase regularly, set up a subscription, or culture your own. There are costs and benefits to evaluate to determine which is right for your personal needs. With a set up like our Custom Culturing Kits a person can be successful with the proper instruction. My favorite reefer @Ocean_Queenie has successfully cultured two strains of phytoplankton and a nice population of Apocyclops copepods on her first attempt using this Kit.

IMG_6487.jpeg

Check out our selection at www.reefbysteele.com

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
To dose, do the dosing containers have to be refrigerated and how long does the phytoplankton stay alive?
My research says that phytoplankton will last for 3 weeks unrefrigerated and 3 months refrigerated. I personally will have harvested phyto out of the fridge for 1 week and refrigerate for 4-6 weeks. When I harvest I keep about 10-15 gallons in extra carboys with aeration so I don’t have to shake it, and use this to feed my copepod cultures. I refrigerate another 5-10 gallons in beverage containers but shake them every couple days to keep it suspended. I have started cultures from back ups that have been refrigerated for two weeks and they were viable.

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all said here. I have bought from reef by Steele and everything has been good.
I have also seen a huge feeding response when I dosed my tank. Corals have been looking happier in the last few weeks.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I agree with all said here. I have bought from reef by Steele and everything has been good.
I have also seen a huge feeding response when I dosed my tank. Corals have been looking happier in the last few weeks.
Hey thanks for the shout out. Always a pleasure to hear from a happy customer. Glad your corals are responding positively.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Thanks you both. I recently purchased pods from Steele and I'm very happy with my purchase. I would love to dose phyton but have to figure out the setup.
I just dose out of a measuring cup each night when I feed. I have Alex systems so I enter feed mode so the phyto has a chance to circulate through the DT without passing the skimmer or UV for 45 minutes. I think a person could auto dose it, with either a magnetic stirrer or a small air pump keeping it in suspension.

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Does the skimmer remove the phyton? Similarly, would using coral snow negate the phyto too?
I’m not sure what effect the coral snow would have in the phyto or the phyto on the coral snow. I still use Aquavitro Fuel or Red Sea for supplementing Amino Acids and other coral nutrients.

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting topic. My P04 has always been high. Never bothered my softies tank but I was getting some nast green hair algae. Then I started to get colonies of Dragons Breathe algae? which multiplies very quickly. A friend here in NW of England has started to produce phyto and gave me 1lt to try out. I was using 100ml every other day ( was told to add it to the tank when the whites were off ) and withing 2 weeks the dragons breath had almost disappeared and the gren hair was reduced. My P04 is now hardly registering on the test strip ( Im using Salifert ). Now 4 weeks in almost all the green hair has gone, the dragons breath has not returned and the P04 is still pretty much zero. I may have to set up my own phyto production line now.....
I was told to keep the container of phyto in the fridge at all times...is that not the case ?

OP
OP
Reef By Steele

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Interesting topic. My P04 has always been high. Never bothered my softies tank but I was getting some nast green hair algae. Then I started to get colonies of Dragons Breathe algae? which multiplies very quickly. A friend here in NW of England has started to produce phyto and gave me 1lt to try out. I was using 100ml every other day ( was told to add it to the tank when the whites were off ) and withing 2 weeks the dragons breath had almost disappeared and the gren hair was reduced. My P04 is now hardly registering on the test strip ( Im using Salifert ). Now 4 weeks in almost all the green hair has gone, the dragons breath has not returned and the P04 is still pretty much zero. I may have to set up my own phyto production line now.....
I was told to keep the container of phyto in the fridge at all times...is that not the case ?
There is nothing wrong with keeping it in the fridge. I always did before. As we have become a business and grown I have done hours of research and reading. Refrigeration will keep your phytoplankton from spoiling longer, but it will stun Isochrysis. I personally would keep it in the refrigerator if space allows, but I need a massive amount through the week to feed my pod cultured so I keep that in aerated containers which keeps it in suspension.

RoweReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, very encouraging.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back