Berghia and Amphipods, flow, ect.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 3 berghia to a 40 breeder to rid aiptasia. I added them near a couple small ones. The next day, the small ones were gone! So I know they lived and ate. That was two weeks ago. Since then I have not seen them or noticed missing aiptasia. I read some things that amphipods can eat berghia eggs. Any truth to this? I have massive (couple mm) amphipods in my tank that are spooky haha. Will they eat bergia eggs? Also my tank has pretty high flow for a couple sps. Can berghia handle the high flow? Should I turn pumps off at night or somthing? will that affect the sps?

I know this process does take time but curious.

Thanks!

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly you probably wont see any progress for the next 3 months. In my 220 I added about 16 or something close to it, and it took them 6 months before I noticed that aiptasias were going missing. So give it time. Copepods were never an issue for me, but shrimp were.

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly you probably wont see any progress for the next 3 months. In my 220 I added about 16 or something close to it, and it took them 6 months before I noticed that aiptasias were going missing. So give it time. Copepods were never an issue for me, but shrimp were.

No shrimp. Ok did they fully eradicate your aiptasia? Did they breed in your tanks?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they ate all the aiptasias and they did breed to the point that you couldn't look at a part of the tank and NOT see a few of the nudis. However I think they missed 1 aiptasia somewhere in the plumbing cause I see 1 pop up every once in a while. I just hit those with a Aiptasia-X (enough to really cover the thing) and that seems to work. So YMMV

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention: if you have any part of your tank where there is cyano, berghia wont work. Something about the conditions where cyano thrives, berghia suffer. So if you have cyano, fix that first

OP
OP
piranhaman00

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention: if you have any part of your tank where there is cyano, berghia wont work. Something about the conditions where cyano thrives, berghia suffer. So if you have cyano, fix that first

No cyano.

Thanks I will keep a look out then.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also read that amphipods and bristleworm eat their eggs so that's a possibility but they breed pretty quickly too. I added 4 on two separate occasions, 20gallon tank. The first time I saw them almost every night and removed about 95% of the aiptasia and also notice they breed in tank. This second time I barely see them but somehow one ended in the "sump" AIO and one I saw in the middle of some bubble algae not too long ago. So they can survive and hide pretty well. They can also handle a good amount of flow once they have been introduced. I had one at night next to the MP10 with no issue.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back