Berghia Nudi Breeding

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I dont use a scope, i basically just wing it. But while the eggs are in there, i feel its important to get some vibration hense why i keep the container on the corner sump glass. Also while the eggs are there, after the first couple days ill start to do some water changes.

After they hatch, takes about 4 or 5 days to even see the berghia,they start off as tiny little worm like creatures, also important to have very very veru small aiptasia present at all times for them to feed.

As for dieng in the sack, i have no idea. The only time i used a scope on the sack, the little balls were just moving around in circles about 8 days into the process.

OP
OP
Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They hatched from the sack into the shell phase but didn't metamorphose and all I have left is empty shells.

OP
OP
Twistedpro

Twistedpro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering whether the plastic cups i am using are reacting with the larvae and they are getting stuck. I have placed them into glass dishes not to see if that makes any difference

onlytoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there an update for this OP? Did you successfut breed any?

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow, you got a whole setup there. I use 4 small containers to do mine. No heater, no air bubbles, no pump. Ive seen unfertile eggsacks before, im not sure why they get like that.

Takes 10 to 15 days for the eggs to hatch, from what ive found when you have water movement, the eggs hatch as larva opposed to comming out a tiny berghia.

Ive tryed many different ways, but recently what ill do is keep 6 parents in a container containing about 2 cups of water. Once i see eggs, i give it about a week to transfer the berghias into a new container. Fill the egg baring container with a few.tiny tiny aiptasia, and wait for the eggs to hatch. After about a month(feedings every other day) theyll get to about 3 mm, then ill transfer 30 to each container. Otherwise if i had more then 30 in any givin container, some may starve because they eat the aiptasia so quick.

This time around i kept a bunch to stock my tank because i had aiptasia pop back up. But i stock my lfs with them in return for ALL my supply needs to run my tanks.

I dont do anything other then feedings and water changes every 2 days. Other then that, transfering the parents back and forth from containers every so often.
What temp , do the eggs sacs and nudi water have to be ? Or do you float them in the sump

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
What temp , do the eggs sacs and nudi water have to be ? Or do you float them in the sump
I do it at room temperature. I did wipe a whole container out though I believe from the cold since the granite it was on got chilly that week.

I'm currently breeding them now, if I get to it tomorrow I'll post some photos.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do it at room temperature. I did wipe a whole container out though I believe from the cold since the granite it was on got chilly that week.

I'm currently breeding them now, if I get to it tomorrow I'll post some photos.
Any experience with wrasses and nudis ?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Any experience with wrasses and nudis ?
That's typically the first thing to come to mind when someone wants to add them. And I'll be honest. They may or may not eat them. Some wrasse also may or may not eat bristle worms.

The nudis on the other hand are nighttime pack hunters and are absolute masters at hiding. The only reason why you would see them out during the day. Is if they are starving enuff, they would risk their live for food.

leaf2reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's typically the first thing to come to mind when someone wants to add them. And I'll be honest. They may or may not eat them. Some wrasse also may or may not eat bristle worms.

The nudis on the other hand are nighttime pack hunters and are absolute masters at hiding. The only reason why you would see them out during the day. Is if they are starving enuff, they would risk their live for food.
Thank you for all your posts, there are very useful. I am currently starting a small farm like yours, I am at a point were the eggs hatched about two weeks ago in 3 2cup-containers, they are eating and growing well. The problem I have is that I keep losing the parents. I had 7 at one time in these 2cup-containers, there are aphasia all the time in the container and I change water every day or other day. Any idea why I am losing them? what did you do to keep them?

Bobby daniels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Sabellafella thank you for this thread. I've tried breeding them a couple times but didn't have enough aiptasia to keep them going. I know this is probably stupid questions, but how do you keep enough aiptasia growing without it being in your reef tank? I've tried throwing a rock that was COMPLETELY covered in them into a bucket with nothing but natural sunlight, and within av week every dang aiptasia has melted and died. (Wish I could do that in ac reef tank without killing everything else. Lol) Do you feed your aiptasia growout? Waterchanges? Air stone? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back