Berghia Nudibrach?

moseley75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have experience w/ Berghia Nudis? Will they rid my tank of aptasia? What do they eat after the aptasia is all gone?

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will do a great job of getting rid of them but sadly after that they will die due to not having any food

Bbaz123456

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Berghias have a relatively short lifespan but it is still unfortunate that they would starve without any food. They generally only live 6-8 months, so it's not like you're taking years off their lives.
What I recommend to people is when their tank is completely rid of aiptasia, the berghias will be easy to find and catch since they will be bright white. Almost everybody knows of someone else who has some aiptasia they'd love to get rid of. Or I even buy them back.

I have been breeding berghias for many years and they are without a doubt the Best method for getting rid of aiptasia.

jhoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 20 Gallon tank that was big time infested with aiptasia, The rocks were covered. I bought 5 berghias and with in about two months they were gone. I caught about 50 of them and took them to the local fish store. They did a great job. It's been about a year. Used them in two tanks. Have not had aiptasia since.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been breeding berghias for many years and they are without a doubt the Best method for getting rid of aiptasia.

Without any doubt. They are the best. However you do need patience. I must have had 1,000's in my 180 and bought 8 in Oct. by end of March I was 100% clean.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard Berghias are nocturnal but have also heard they are easy to see to remove. I have a H. Melanurus wrasse so if Berghias are nocturnal, I should be ok. If they aren’t, my Melanurus will be very happy. Are Berghias mostly nocturnal?

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are nocturnal. Would not recommend using them with a wrasse in the tank. I got mine from SaltyUnderground. They have a wealth of information on their site. I did berghia, but eventually I just took out all the rock from my tank and nuked it with bleach, but glad to hear others were more successful!

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard Berghias are nocturnal but have also heard they are easy to see to remove. I have a H. Melanurus wrasse so if Berghias are nocturnal, I should be ok. If they aren’t, my Melanurus will be very happy. Are Berghias mostly nocturnal?
I heard the same about being nocturnal and also from other reefers who have tried Berghia with Wrasses in the tank and had success. My tank has been overrun by Aptasia, I believe from using Aptasia-X which has caused them to spread. I tried Peppermint last year but they didn't last too long with my Melanurus around. My Copper Band might have eaten some at first but not now.
I noticed my Wrasse is already buried in the sand 30 min. before the lights turn off and is the last one out in the morning so I figure their paths shouldn't cross. I added 10 mixed sizes of Berghia about a month ago and another 6 of the 1/2" size last week with some eggs to speed things along. From what I've heard is that nothing will happen for months and then all of sudden the Aptasia will start disappearing overnight. This is the frustrating part of using Berghia, when do you call it quits and move on to something else if the Berghia don't work, how long do you wait? If these don't work my last hope is using a Matted Filefish.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard the same about being nocturnal and also from other reefers who have tried Berghia with Wrasses in the tank and had success. My tank has been overrun by Aptasia, I believe from using Aptasia-X which has caused them to spread. I tried Peppermint last year but they didn't last too long with my Melanurus around. My Copper Band might have eaten some at first but not now.
I noticed my Wrasse is already buried in the sand 30 min. before the lights turn off and is the last one out in the morning so I figure their paths shouldn't cross. I added 10 mixed sizes of Berghia about a month ago and another 6 of the 1/2" size last week with some eggs to speed things along. From what I've heard is that nothing will happen for months and then all of sudden the Aptasia will start disappearing overnight. This is the frustrating part of using Berghia, when do you call it quits and move on to something else if the Berghia don't work, how long do you wait? If these don't work my last hope is using a Matted Filefish.

My Melanurus has similar sleep habits. My hope is that a combination of the nudibranches being nocturnal and my pukani rock (lots of places to get out of harms way during the day), the nudibranches will survive long enough to take out the aiptasia.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanurus has similar sleep habits. My hope is that a combination of the nudibranches being nocturnal and my pukani rock (lots of places to get out of harms way during the day), the nudibranches will survive long enough to take out the aiptasia.
Plenty of hiding places in my tank as well. The worst part of using the Berghia is having the patience to wait it out. There are times when I look into the tank and see the Aptasia choking out the corals and want to go crazy with the Aptasia-X on them. I'm waiting until the end of the summer and if I don't see any changes by then I'll consider moving on to a Filefish.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of hiding places in my tank as well. The worst part of using the Berghia is having the patience to wait it out. There are times when I look into the tank and see the Aptasia choking out the corals and want to go crazy with the Aptasia-X on them. I'm waiting until the end of the summer and if I don't see any changes by then I'll consider moving on to a Filefish.

Do you ever see the nudibranches (e.g. do you know they are still alive)?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 130 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back