Berghia Nudibranchs

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I had it contained to my sump, but my display tank is exploding with aiptasia and I wanted to try some Nudi's before I have to tear it down. Wondering if anyone local has any for sale or if anyone knows any LFS that might be worth checking with. Would rather not pay a few hundred at current online prices/ea...

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know Shark Reef in Tucson did have some a few weeks ago.

Something to think about - if you have any wrasses in your tank, nudis will probably become expensive snacks before they take care of the aipstasia problem.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re pretty much stuck with ordering online, and now isn’t the best time for shipping with our temps. Try searching for a local reef club, I didn’t have any luck with that though and I’m in Buckeye. I’m on my third try with Berghia. First two shots did nothing. Peppermints, file fish, wrasse, copperbands will eat them. They may not reproduce in your tank if it’s high flow, if you have amphipods, or if you have bristle worms as they will eat the eggs. I just ordered 50 from salty underground a month or so ago. I kept a few in a one gallon tank to breed. If you have a little patience, you could just order a small amount and let them lay eggs in a small container. In about four weeks, the eggs will hatch and you’ll have a ton.

edit. Once a month they have a sale, I don’t remember when. Also, if you put them in your cart and wait 20-30 minutes, they will email you a discount code.

OP
OP
Alchameth

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up, I do have a Flasher. I figured some things would like to snack on them so I was planning in starting them in my fuge in my sump (yes there is a feast in there for them) and then progressively moving them into the tank as they multiply. I also know that much flow might be an issue for them so once I get them I'll be cutting my return pump until they are established.

I went to take a picture, and found an interesting surprise. It seems my bonded Banggai Cardinalfish spawned and an egg or fry or whatever ended up in my sump. Saw this little guy in there.
1655176149458.png

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up, I do have a Flasher. I figured some things would like to snack on them so I was planning in starting them in my fuge in my sump (yes there is a feast in there for them) and then progressively moving them into the tank as they multiply. I also know that much flow might be an issue for them so once I get them I'll be cutting my return pump until they are established.

I went to take a picture, and found an interesting surprise. It seems my bonded Banggai Cardinalfish spawned and an egg or fry or whatever ended up in my sump. Saw this little guy in there.
1655176149458.png
I tried a few in the fuge….no dice. Amphipods and bristle worms ate the eggs. The separate container, with only tank water and a few plucked Aiptasia is they only way I’ve been able to get them to reproduce successfully.

OP
OP
Alchameth

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re pretty much stuck with ordering online, and now isn’t the best time for shipping with our temps. Try searching for a local reef club, I didn’t have any luck with that though and I’m in Buckeye. I’m on my third try with Berghia. First two shots did nothing. Peppermints, file fish, wrasse, copperbands will eat them. They may not reproduce in your tank if it’s high flow, if you have amphipods, or if you have bristle worms as they will eat the eggs. I just ordered 50 from salty underground a month or so ago. I kept a few in a one gallon tank to breed. If you have a little patience, you could just order a small amount and let them lay eggs in a small container. In about four weeks, the eggs will hatch and you’ll have a ton.

edit. Once a month they have a sale, I don’t remember when. Also, if you put them in your cart and wait 20-30 minutes, they will email you a discount code.
I have 2 peppermints, either it was luck or they were keeping them in check in the tank for awhile and then I noticed them in the sump. I had planned on tearing down the sump and cleaning them out then they exploded in the tank before I did... I read in another post somewhere that Blue Head butterflys will eat them, and some posts going each way if they will or become a nipper at my LPS so with that and my mimic tang wasn't sure if that was worth a try.

FIFTY?!?!?!??? all I can say is with the prices I'm seeing, OUCH. I checked that site earlier and was confused. The white ones I have seen, but the weird Brownish ones they have in stock right I have not. That and that they are at $9.99 ea for the 1/4 in ones. I did see they do have a 'Guaranteed for live arrival'...

Thanks for the heads up on the discount code, and I'll keep an eye out for a sale while I decide if I want to try this or use the empty 90G tank I have to move the fish over to while I deal with this pest.

OP
OP
Alchameth

Alchameth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried a few in the fuge….no dice. Amphipods and bristle worms ate the eggs. The separate container, with only tank water and a few plucked Aiptasia is they only way I’ve been able to get them to reproduce successfully.
Good to know, though I didn't know that cardinal was in my sump and it is apparently eating something. Guess I need a night mission to see what my current pod population is.

noonelikesadrytang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For what it’s worth, there is a local group with monthly in person meetings (and a small forum) at azfrag.org

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 peppermints, either it was luck or they were keeping them in check in the tank for awhile and then I noticed them in the sump. I had planned on tearing down the sump and cleaning them out then they exploded in the tank before I did... I read in another post somewhere that Blue Head butterflys will eat them, and some posts going each way if they will or become a nipper at my LPS so with that and my mimic tang wasn't sure if that was worth a try.

FIFTY?!?!?!??? all I can say is with the prices I'm seeing, OUCH. I checked that site earlier and was confused. The white ones I have seen, but the weird Brownish ones they have in stock right I have not. That and that they are at $9.99 ea for the 1/4 in ones. I did see they do have a 'Guaranteed for live arrival'...

Thanks for the heads up on the discount code, and I'll keep an eye out for a sale while I decide if I want to try this or use the empty 90G tank I have to move the fish over to while I deal with this pest.
Ouch is right! But if it’s that or a tear down. That’s why I suggest breeding them if you have the patience. They’re the same, white or brown. White ones haven’t eaten in a little while. They turn brown after eating.

Edit..yes I’ve read the same recommendations for blue head butterfly’s . It’s really only one person but he’s had success. Every other person says they will nip corals and they are listed as not reef safe everywhere. Copperbands are a bit safer but man, they have a bad rep for not eating and dying. Every time someone says that though, someone will post that they are the easiest, longest living fish in the hobby! There is a difference between net caught and cyanide caught fish, but how do you how they were caught?

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth, there is a local group with monthly in person meetings (and a small forum) at azfrag.org
Thanks, I’ll check it out. I recently lost most my vision, so no driving, and keeping the tank going is very difficult. I’ve been looking for a local group to see if I can get help every now and then. Testing when you can’t use syringes or see color change is impossible.

Back