Berghia question

Reefnate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a 225 with a large aptasia infestation that was made 100x worse by trying aptasia X. Just caused them to multiple like crazy. So I bought a big pile of berghia 4 months ago. When I look at night I typically see 2-5 large adults crawling around and the total numbers of aptasia seem to be about level but definitely improving. But no juveniles. so the questions - why don’t they hunt together? They all go separately even when two inches apart and can’t take on the larger aptasia solo. Next is why I don’t see small ones that would be evidence of reproduction? Thoughts?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may feed sepertely to avoid competition and may only feed to gether when forced to by lack of prey. As far as juvinmiles there's probably soemthing either eating the eggs or eating the juviniles, copepods are one possibility.

OP
OP
R

Reefnate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you. I am not sure howto remedy the situation, however that makes perfect sense,

OP
OP
R

Reefnate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up question please. I have a mixed reef and have to stay vigilant to take out any new, small aptasia that emerge next to my corals, especially the sps. The challenge is that the guidance from Reeftown/salty underground is to not use any other product like an aptasia X as it can harm the berghia and their eggs. does anyone know if I am doing something wrong here? I use a tiny amount of the product gently dropped into the mouth of the small aptasia and don’t know of any other option despite potentially hurting or killing any living berghia. Thoughts?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 26 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back