Berghia

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. After all of my bad tank luck I finally have it back on the right track. While it was doing poorly and I wasn't taking care of it like I should aiptasia started to take over. I tried a file fish which didn't touch them and a copper band which lasted about a week. I finally decided to try berghia and found two small ones at 7 seas last weekend. They are pretty small and I want to get them breeding before turning them loose in the tank. Has anyone seen any others for sale locally? I also might try my hand at raising them long term. I set up a 10 gal. tank with what aiptasia I could get out easily. If anyone has any aiptasia they want to get rid of I would be glad to take them also. I know, I have an aiptasia problem and am asking for more. Makes a lot of sense don't it. Lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. After all of my bad tank luck I finally have it back on the right track. While it was doing poorly and I wasn't taking care of it like I should aiptasia started to take over. I tried a file fish which didn't touch them and a copper band which lasted about a week. I finally decided to try berghia and found two small ones at 7 seas last weekend. They are pretty small and I want to get them breeding before turning them loose in the tank. Has anyone seen any others for sale locally? I also might try my hand at raising them long term. I set up a 10 gal. tank with what aiptasia I could get out easily. If anyone has any aiptasia they want to get rid of I would be glad to take them also. I know, I have an aiptasia problem and am asking for more. Makes a lot of sense don't it. Lol
if you can put the 2 in a small tank bucket tupperware or whatever with an airstione or hob filter and apsasi rock. dont worry about the long term. once you have a dozen throw 8 in.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have them in a small container. Sorry I forgot to put that in. I'm trying to get them multiplying first.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup. that was my newb mistake years ago. the grow pretty fast. I guess thats why there pretty spendy. you only ever buy one.
look for the swirl eggs under the rocks.

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a peppermint from 7 seas a couple months ago and all my aiptasia is gone. Doesn't answer your question but throwing out another option.

midtnmike41

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for the peppermint shrimp. Two of them knocked out my aiptasia in less than a week and have not seen any since.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought peppermint shrimp before and they never lasted long. I've kept fire and cleaner shrimp for years but always had problems with peppermints for some reason.
I kinda just wanted to try my hand at raising some berghia as well. Just something different.

armyguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The method I use requires patience and is cheap! Kalkwasser slurry and a pipet, turn pumps of, drop a drop in the middle where their mouth is, they eat it, they are dead quickly :) that easy without all the effort and money into breeding and animals

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm really trying to raise them partly because I just like a challenge. I've tried the kalk method but never was able to get them all in my 110.

OP
OP
rcmike

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a little update. The berghia have grown and are probably twice the size they were. I also found my first egg swirl yesterday.

Armyguy, I know the kalk paste works, I have done it before many times. I know of there are other ways but I just enjoy the challenge of raising things also. I used to even have a laser to fry them with but I sold it before I burned my eyes out with it or something.

I actually probably don't even need the berghia anymore. I added a copperband last week and I think the aptasia is receding some. I still would like to raise them though. I have moved pretty much all of the aiptasia that I can get out of the tank into a 10 gal. but could use more if anyone has any they want to donate.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back