Best adhesive for wet live rock

  • Thread starter Thread starter tirish
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

tirish

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 21, 2026
Messages
25
Reaction score
8
Location
Buffalo , NY
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am attempting to build my aquascape with live rock that I purchased. I put it in the tank as soon as I got it to help with the cycle. Now I’d like to properly join it together. I have tried the epoxy putty but didn’t seem to work great on the wet rock. Does anyone else have any luck with another product you’d recommend.
 
One method for gluing wet rock is to use regular, non-gel superglue and baking soda. The baking soda acts like a quick set and strengthens the bond. But, you need to be careful to rinse the glue joints thoroughly or the excess baking soda will spike your Alk. This would be best to do if you don’t yet have livestock.

Good luck!
 
There isn't a really good way to do this unfortunately.

I went the route of carefully stacking, where I could find places to lay rock that felt solid and sturdy, I did not use glue or epoxy.
 
carib sea has a product Called rock lock I have used it a lot and its great for wet or dry rock, and you can adjust the thickness
 
I personally am a stacker and not a glue’er. So many horror stories of people using glue and not being able to take things apart too easy. I like the fact I can stack and take apart any way I want. Just opinions
 
I personally am a stacker and not a glue’er. So many horror stories of people using glue and not being able to take things apart too easy. I like the fact I can stack and take apart any way I want. Just opinions
I do agree, I personally stack like a Neanderthal 🤪
 
IMO stacking is the best way to go. Pick rocks you want to join and try for the most stable way outside the tank first. Try to pick rocks that are most likely to interlock with one another..
 
There isn't a really good way to do this unfortunately.

I went the route of carefully stacking, where I could find places to lay rock that felt solid and sturdy, I did not use glue or epoxy.
Right now they’re stacked without any adhesive. They appear to be sturdy. The only thing that worries me is them falling into the glass.
 
Right now they’re stacked without any adhesive. They appear to be sturdy. The only thing that worries me is them falling into the glass.
With the resistance of water, I doult you would have to worry about breaking the glass. Maybe a scratch.
I stopped trying to use any kind of adhesive years ago. Just make sure the base is sturdy.
 
If normal stacking doesn't work for what I want, I have drilled and used acrylic rods as the support. This helped really well to keep a taller rock sitting on another rock. I also sometimes use epoxy putty. This helps support and still pry it apart later if you want to rearrange.
 
Depending on the shapes of your rock I have found zip ties work well for some joints
 
I am attempting to build my aquascape with live rock that I purchased. I put it in the tank as soon as I got it to help with the cycle. Now I’d like to properly join it together. I have tried the epoxy putty but didn’t seem to work great on the wet rock. Does anyone else have any luck with another product you’d recommend.
Which epoxy putty did you use? Some are better than others. Specifically, Tropic Eden Moldable Rock and Tunze’s 2-Part Coral Gum both work well.

My entire aquascape is from ocean live rock and I put it all together underwater using the two products above along with PolypLab super glue to put it together. I did much of the aquascaping in separate bins outside the tank but some was done in the tank. Each of the structures consist of a jigsaw of larger pieces put together via stacking and sometimes epoxy/glue depending on amount of support needed. I can easily deconstruct any structure for maintenance or to catch fish.

IMG_7435.jpeg
IMG_7434.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I am attempting to build my aquascape with live rock that I purchased. I put it in the tank as soon as I got it to help with the cycle. Now I’d like to properly join it together. I have tried the epoxy putty but didn’t seem to work great on the wet rock. Does anyone else have any luck with another product you’d recommend.
For years I have used coral putty and never lets me down

1780531391665.png
 
I also use clear acrylic rods when I want to build an otherwise unstable shape. Drill a hole, put the rod in, fix with glue. You can also use titanium rods
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new