Best Algae Reactor?

nbd13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Thinking of ditching my chaeto in my fuge and going with an algae reactor with chaeto in it.

Going under my stand so need something compact, easy to clean and remove the chaeto from time to time when it grows. Hard to pull the entire inner unit out under the stand.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You may want to consider the Reef Octopus Algae Reactor. It’s not inexpensive, but I’ve seen pictures with strong results.

#reefoctopus

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a skimz algae reactor the reason I like it cause the pump and tubing is built in so no extra tubing and exterior pumps and chaeto grew really well

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve been tempted to pickup one of the Skimz during this sale BRS is having. Reviews are mixed though mainly because of the o-ring but I’ve read some ways to fix that which seem to make it easier to use.

Juniorh2r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been tempted to pickup one of the Skimz during this sale BRS is having. Reviews are mixed though mainly because of the o-ring but I’ve read some ways to fix that which seem to make it easier to use.
The o ring is not a big deal make sure you get the right size reactor

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was probably going to do the MBR127 for my Red Sea Reefer 350. The 157 would probably be better but I don’t have the sump room.

or I may do the tunze and run it externally. I like the tunze better overall.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Pax Bellum for a few years prior to taking a break from the hobby, (sold it off when I sold off my system). It ran pretty well and I was very impressed with the growth. At the time, they were the only game in the hobby. They have a lengthy track record, (well over 10 years and are being used by the Atlantis Aquarium in NY), but they are not cheap.

Other manufacturers, (Tunze, Skimz, Reef Octopus) have been able to offer lower cost version by using Pax Bellum's work and modifying it to suit their needs, without the same level of R&D needed to start from the ground up.

One of the nice things about the Tunze version is the cheato spins due to the design of the reactor. This allows Tunze to use an external light which is easier replace if it breaks/malfunctions.

The trick with chaeto is not to light it for too long or too short a time frame, (between 8-16 hour photoperiod per Trystan from Pax Bellum) and keep your magnesium under 1500 ppm. Higher mag levels put cheato into a state of dormancy.

I like how the Skimz unit has a smaller footprint.

JT2418

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any pictures of it in there sump. The skimz one

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back