Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would like to get some feedback from our members regarding which ammonia test kit and/or colorimeter is your "go-to".

If we get enough input, it would be nice to also add a poll at the top. TIA
I used to use the API test kits, and thought they were doing ok, but then switched to Salifert and I'm much happier. Easier to read and appear to be more accurate. So Salifert gets my vote :)

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the API test kits, and thought they were doing ok, but then switched to Salifert and I'm much happier. Easier to read and appear to be more accurate. So Salifert gets my vote :)

My only issue with Salifert is it appears the total ammonia needs to reach 0.5 ppm before ammonia is even detected, using their test kit. :eek:

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with Salifert is it appears the total ammonia needs to reach 0.5 ppm before ammonia is even detected, using their test kit. :eek:
How do you feel about the Hannah digital checkers? That would be my second choice. Not sure if they're able to read smaller then .5ppm

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem ... easy and very quick .. use it on my QTs all the time.

BEBE62CE-C1B0-45A6-B885-4F8D4EF8E37B.jpeg

Cause all we care about is the free ammonia for the most part. I use AmGuard to lock up ammonia.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a poll (at the top) with products already mentioned in this thread.

I can add more choices, if needed. For example, anyone have any experience with the Giesemann or Fluval ammonia test kit??

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried API, Red Sea, and Seneye. I'd say API often gives a false positive. RS seems better at detecting lower levels although I just recently started a new tank with all old cycled rocks and noticed some inconsistencies doing 3 tests every ~15min one after another. Seneye is a mystery to me, I wouldn't rely on the very low values it supposedly detects but can detect changes very well, that combined with its ability to send email/text warnings makes it worthwhile for new and some medicated tanks. Don't think it would do well in copper?!

Last edited:

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested ammonia since I started up the tank. is this something that I should be testing for more often?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tested ammonia since I started up the tank. is this something that I should be testing for more often?

When did you start the tank? If fully cycled, no recent fish/invert disappearances then no need.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This was the reason I ditched my Salifert kit (and I love them for most other things)

The Seachem test with the little paper dots did not work well for me at all. It would be negative in water I knew had ammonia in it. The little dots would float making me wonder if they were getting adequate water exposure to be accurate.

Believe it or not I use API. I've not had much problem with false positives. I think some of the false positives may be from it detecting very low concentrations.

Interested to see more comments on Red Sea as I like their other kits I use.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I going to throw a wrench into this one. Is the Hanna ammonia checker for saltwater?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Straight for Hanna, The Hanna Ammonia checker and not compatible with saltwater;)

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only tried the red sea ammonia test kit so far but they're very easy to read, for me anyways. The colors on the card match the colors you get from the liquid pretty well.

Red Sea gets my vote as well. I hate API tests in general, so that is the only one that I don't recommend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 22.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 32 54.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.5%
Back