Seachem ammonia test kit for QT use

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've long suspected that the Seachem MultiTest Ammonia Test Kit works even in the presence of medications, same as the Seachem Ammonia Alert badge.

Well, this has now been confirmed if we take Seachem's word at face value:

ME:
I know your Seachem ammonia test kit works even in the presence of Cupramine. But does it still work even with other forms of copper (e.g. chelated)? Does it still work when other medications are in the water, such as Chloroquine phosphate, Prazipro, Metroplex, Kanaplex, etc.?

SEACHEM:
Hello Bobby,

Thank you for the email. Yes, our Ammonia test kit will read accurately in the presence of chelated copper as well as Chloroquine phosphate, Prazipro, MetroPlex and KanaPlex.

Thank you!

I believe their test kit will work in the presence of ALL medications, except those which discolor the water (e.g. Furan-2, Methylene Blue, etc.) This gives us all a "backup" test to run, in case you are doubting the accuracy of your Seachem Ammonia Alert badge. :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've long suspected that the Seachem MultiTest Ammonia Test Kit works even in the presence of medications, same as the Seachem Ammonia Alert badge.

ME:

SEACHEM:

I believe their test kit will work in the presence of ALL medications, except those which discolor the water (e.g. Furan-2, Methylene Blue, etc.) This gives us all a "backup" test to run, in case you are doubting the accuracy of your Seachem Ammonia Alert badge. :)
You are the best. Seriously thank you for all that you do for all of us. This is good information :)

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that the seachem badge was just a big indicator disc from the seachem ammonia test. The color indicators are the same.

OP
OP
H

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought that the seachem badge was just a big indicator disc from the seachem ammonia test. The color indicators are the same.

This is basically true. Using the test kit is just a way to be sure your alert badge isn't faulty.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically true. Using the test kit is just a way to be sure your alert badge isn't faulty.

I ordered another badge. Going to run 2, just because of my total loss on last batch of QT to make sure I don't have a faulty one!

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ME:

SEACHEM:

I'd like to add that, for those of us who do not know how to test a suspect Ammo Alert badge,
Seachem recommends either placing the badge in a bucket with some liquid ammonia, or in the case of my test, hold it over an open bottle of liquid ammonia.
I performed this test and it turned blue instantly from the fumes.
I returned it to service, after a 'swish' in the tank, and all is good.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to add that, for those of us who do not know how to test a suspect Ammo Alert badge,
Seachem recommends either placing the badge in a bucket with some liquid ammonia, or in the case of my test, hold it over an open bottle of liquid ammonia.
I performed this test and it turned blue instantly from the fumes.
I returned it to service, after a 'swish' in the tank, and all is good.
The seachem ammonia badge is basically a huge test kit disc.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"a huge test kit disc."
What do you mean ... ??
The seachem ammonia test kit is 6 small yellow discs. You put one in a small sample of water and wait 30 minutes, then you see what color it is. If it stays yellow, it is good. If it starts turning green there is ammonia.

This is the same color range as the seachem badge. The seachem badge seems to be a larger version of the small test discs included with the seachem ammonia test kit. You just leave it in the water all the time.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back