Best and safest way to remove a Bta?

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Ok so my 75g is starting to get a little to Bubble tip heavy. I currently have 7 and my green will probably spilt any day now.
So I'm hoping someone has a good(but proven) trick to get these suckers of the rocks they're on? Kinda trying to hurry as well because I sold one that in supposed to bring to my local swap tommorow. Appreciate any and all help thanks.
Ps. All natural splits so they're foots are pretty set.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just depends where they are but aiming a powerhead at them worked for me in the past. Once you see them start moving, peel with your fingers.

Obviously that doesn't work if they are near the sandbed as you don't want to create a sandstorm in your tank.

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take an ice cube or just your finger and aggressively rub the foot of the anemone where it attaches to the rock. The foot start to detach. Just keep rubbing and the anemone will come detached in no time.
So once it's shrunk up just rub on the base? I think there's one that I can get to the base but the others all have there foot in a hole.
Thanks so much for the help! [emoji3]

eea60

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the ice cube trick without success but I was able to blast it with a power head to get it to turn loose. Just be ready to catch it.

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock, buddy taught me to just hang it upside down, and it will droop and eventually let go of the rock, no damage. 10-15min?
This is a great idea, but I have a fully stocked tank with probably 100 lbs of liverock. Most of of my Bta's are on the bottom of my rock piles.

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually ended up getting it off by rubbing it's foot like suggested, but the Bta did suffer a couple minor cuts. I'm hoping for the best and it seems to be getting better all the time.
I thought the one I picked would be the easiest but it had been in the same spot for 2 years so I guess I should of known better. Hard to tell witch ones foot is exposed the most. Natural splits! [emoji20]

Reef2zach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black out your tank for a couple days watch the nem carfully. You should be able to catch it while it walks around the tank looking for another light source

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I typically do is rub the foot gently to agitate it. When the anemone starts to shrivel up, keep rubbing the foot again and it will slowly lift.

Mäge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nem-Freaks
need some help too ;) heard something about metal spoons could help... somebody tried that... and witch metal?
I had an idea to try something out with voltage, breaking my brain how to achieve it. Effect to the muscles...
IMG_1129.JPG

IMG_1167.JPG

Too many NEMS but big mama loves it!
Cheers Mäge

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rocket launcher? J/K

I've also heard the ice cube trick is effective.

Sometimes to remove stubborn corals I'll use bone-cutters on the rock that the coral is attached to and pop off a section of rock instead of breaking the coral. Depending on your rock this might be pretty easy and limit the impact to the BTA.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried the powerhead method, the ice cube method, the rubbing it's foot (at least as close as I could get - I can't get to the foot of the one I want to remove). I had someone suggest by putting a little dab of kalk paste on it's foot, it will irritate it enough to let loose. Haven't tried it yet, but thought I would share the idea. Supposedly it works well.

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually cut a lot of rock off to get to it. It was a pita but the foot was barried.
I think from now on I'll try the plant pot trick as I think that's the safest method if you don't have to get it out asap.

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually cut a lot of rock off to get to it...

I would do that in a heart beat, but it would require a total demolition of my rock work, and that's a task I'm just not up to. And the corals that the rogue RBTA are bothering are completely imbedded at this point. To think, I was so excited the thing split, and now, not so much. :mad:

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do that in a heart beat, but it would require a total demolition of my rock work, and that's a task I'm just not up to. And the corals that the rogue RBTA are bothering are completely imbedded at this point. To think, I was so excited the thing split, and now, not so much. :mad:
Have you tried the flower pot?

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the flower pot method is to be honest. Can you expand on that a bit please?

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the flower pot method is to be honest. Can you expand on that a bit please?
You take either a ceramic or plastic flower pot and cover the anemone with it for a couple days. Where the only light is getting will be through the little hole at the bottom of the pot, it'll eventually go towards it and then be right inside it for easy removal. [emoji3]

dbl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, I didn't know about that one...thanks for the tip. That would be great if it works. I'm signing off now so I can get to the store to pick up a flower pot!!!!

OP
OP
jasonandsarah

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy cow, I didn't know about that one...thanks for the tip. That would be great if it works. I'm signing off now so I can get to the store to pick up a flower pot!!!!
That's a oldie but a goodie from what I heard. I'd get plastic ones if I was you. Then if you have to make any changes is easy to do.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back