Best ATO for a decent price?

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m looking to buy an ATO for my new frag tank and I’m having a real hard time finding one with decent reviews with a decent price. The one I have on my DT is only sold to retailers so I can’t get one. My question is, what is the best ATO for a decent price (100$ or less) that you guys have had success with and where can I buy it. I would rather have an ATO with a pump not gravity fed. Thanks!!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet hands down will be a used tunze 3155 (used ~100). I have yet to see a non-diy ato that even comes close to the longevity and reliability of the 3155. That isn't to say there aren't other good ATOs on the market, but I consider the 3155 the gold standard for a reason.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my nano Osmolator for just over 3 years without major issues. It does use a float valve so I have had the valve stick off and the unit won't top off until I clean the float but that has pretty much been it as far as issues.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, has anybody had any experience with the optical sensors like the duetto mentioned above. Never used one.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only cheap Optical ATO I have used is the Auto Aqua Smart ATO Micro. I had constant issues with mine.

Another good affordable option I just thought off are the Spectrapure pressure switch sockets. The pressure switches are very reliable but kinda big in the tank. The sockets are only around $60 but they don't include a pump or magnet mount. You may be close to $100 when all is said and done.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have (2) AutoAqua SMART ATOs and they have worked very well for me. I agree with the comments about the Tunze 3155 if you can find one used.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it goes without saying, but I think you should base your ATO on what you're concerned about. For example, if you're just topping off a 120 gallon softy tank from a 5 gallon bucket, a failure of the ato isn't likely to do too much damage. However, if you were refilling a nano SPS tank with a 5 gallon resivoir or running saturated kalk, a failure could be catastrophic! Therefore, figure out what your worst case scenario is for your particular frag tank and look for designs that try and mitigate possible failures. For some it's the use of an optical sensor over a float switch, for others it's multiple float switches, snail guards, timers, etc.

Plecosam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, Tunze is the gold standard but some are not impressed, I wonder where the truth is, in between maybe. My friend likes his Tunze but the pump has failed a number of times on him.

OP
OP
Afrashz

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot to think about...

sreefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one works great, but two things!
1 don't use the suction cups to hold the pressure tube to the sump wall, I use a 1/4 inch thick piece of glass cut 3" wide x 8" high and attach the pressure tube to this with zip ties and set this on end in the sump, you slide the tube up or down to find where you want the level at.
2. the level goes down 1" before the pump turns on, not a problem if the area in the sump is not too large, I have been using mine for 10 plus years keeps my tank spot on.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back