Best Auto Top Up unit???

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the TMC V2 unit before which I replaced last week with the Autoaqua Smart Micro unit which has an optical eye. I'm having issues with the smart micro as it isn't keeping a consistent water level, it seems to pump enough water in the return to where the entire optical sensor and about 1cm of wire are submerged.

I spoke to the shop where I purchased it from and he told me in his opinion the best ones are still ones with the manual float switches like the TMC.

My reason for replacing the TMC unit was because it had a suction cup and it kept becoming loose and slanting to the side stopping the float switch from functioning freely.

I then asked about the Tunze nano which also has a float switch but he said he gets a ton of complaint about those so to stay away from that particular model.

The reason I think my optical sensor isn't keeping a consistent water level is because ambient light. room light is affecting it? I have a AIO with it in the return chamber and light does hit it but the funny thing is it seems to overfill during the night when the lights are out.

Thoughts and advice?

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't personally used it but from what I see online I really like the Apex ATO (I think theirs is called an ATK?). Has a lot of great features and it even learns your normal evaporation rate so if for some reason its topping off more than usual it will let you know

michael.cser20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dual float switch from autotopoff.com and a toms aqua lifter. Very simple and under 50$ for everything

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own for around $20. I set it up to run on a timer instead of using a float switch. It's not as precise as using a float switch or other level sensor, but then again, it never sticks on like a float switch. I used a peristaltic pump to move the water, and a cheap timer relay to turn the pump on and off. Add a simple 12V power supply and that's all you need. The timer adds a little bit of water every hour, and it works great. Every once in a while I have to tweak how much the ATO is dosing, but that's only once a year or so. Other than that, I have had trouble-free operation.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze osmolator. Magnetic mount, optical water level sensor with a mechanical float switch backup, plus a timer on the controller in case both of those fail... options for plugging in a solenoid or alternative pump...

You didn't ask for the cheapest :)

Tyler Collinske

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya if you want the most reliable and when it comes to dosing RO don’t want floods or to come home to your tank filled with ROnthe Tunze

jimmyzhou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
84966d3397d9dd5ed484443eda88a7d0.jpg
this is what I use my ro tank is about 20-30 ft always. I think works at 60-80 ft is great for. I set ro tank far as I can form tank. The only thin is need apex to make it work I got it form. http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-DOSING-SYSTEMS/Basic-LiterMeter-Dosing-PumpDraws up from 25ft, Pumps up to 60ft!
Can be place anywhere u want !!
Works like king!!!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neptune Systems ATK
Avast Marine
Tunze Osmolator

OP
OP

1Clown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze osmolator. Magnetic mount, optical water level sensor with a mechanical float switch backup, plus a timer on the controller in case both of those fail... options for plugging in a solenoid or alternative pump...

You didn't ask for the cheapest :)

Does the optica
Neptune Systems ATK
Avast Marine
Tunze Osmolator

Do you know if the Tunze's optical sensor is affected by other light sources at all?

AllAboutThatWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the regular size Smart ATO by autoaqua and I love it! I unwrapped it a year an 1/2 ago. It was plug and play from then. Definitely one of the best pieces of equipment Ive purchased. There has just been two maintenance things I've done to keep it functioning properly. 1. Clean the tank side magnet of kalkwasser residue so that the optical eye has clearer view of water level. When the acrylic lens on that side get opaque from the residue it won't add my RO/Kalk.
2.clean tubing and pump of kalkwasser residue every now and again
It has always worked even if fuge light is on or off

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the Tunze's optical sensor is affected by other light sources at all?

Based on how these things work, I would doubt it. They're infrared, and work by detecting the reduction in reflected light when submerged.

I can say mine has never been affected by any of the various lights I've used around my sump and refugeum.

John Lohsr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the tunze nano. I got it for my 40 gal breeder but have since upgraded to a 90 gal. It's made for smaller tanks then the 9o but seems to work perfect. The magnetic holder keeps the float from moving and I haven't had any issues with it.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spent a week investigating this and with helpful feedback from every source I could think of, my Tunze is on the way. The ATK would have been my second choice.

KenJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Neptune ATK but like Bulk reef dowsing pump instead of PMUP better control without anti siphon problems.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also been using the auto aqua smart ATO (not the micro) for over a year. I have only had issues when I didn't keep the glass or the sensor itself clean. So, as apart of my routine weekly maintenance I clean the glass and sensor and it works just fine. Fuge light seems to have no affect on it what so ever.

Side note, its very important to properly align the inner and outer pieces. I usually place them in alignment with the water level directly in the center of the sensor, but I have noticed the sensor likes to keep the water level rather "high" on the sensor itself (not sure if this is what you might have been experiencing).

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on Tunze for reliability which is the most important thing.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say I really don't like my tunze I find the pump to be loud tried 2 of them its come on often and kinda drives me crazy.
been meaning to hook up my autoaqua micro to see how that one is. hopefully better, the ATO is c*#k blocking me as the tank is in my room and the ladies dont like the noise coming on all the time...just FYI kills the mood. love the magnets mounts but the noise from the pump OMG. I would to recommend it at all. for the price I am very let down.

I would like to try to neptune but I am worried about the pmup being the same, if I was to buy one I prob would just go with avast or the ATK with different pump. but for those of us that have the 832 power bars the pmup was supposed to be a blessing to save a plug.
maybe some one that has one can chime in on it.

I also like the idea of the timer with a low flow dosing pump.
good luck deciding!

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Tunze Osmolator. Comes with everything you need so you don't have to figure out what kind of pump you need or return tubing, etc.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta say I really don't like my tunze I find the pump to be loud tried 2 of them its come on often and kinda drives me crazy.
been meaning to hook up my autoaqua micro to see how that one is. hopefully better, the ATO is c*#k blocking me as the tank is in my room and the ladies dont like the noise coming on all the time...just FYI kills the mood. love the magnets mounts but the noise from the pump OMG. I would to recommend it at all. for the price I am very let down.

I would like to try to neptune but I am worried about the pmup being the same, if I was to buy one I prob would just go with avast or the ATK with different pump. but for those of us that have the 832 power bars the pmup was supposed to be a blessing to save a plug.
maybe some one that has one can chime in on it.

I also like the idea of the timer with a low flow dosing pump.
good luck deciding!

I put my tunze osmolator pump in a bucket with a lid on it inside my cabinet. It's so quiet now that I get concerned about whether it is actually working or not.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back