Which 3ft tank?

mattrob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Getting closer to getting my new tank. I'm currently stuck between the tmc reef habitat 90 and the d-d aqua pro reef 900.

I need the 3ft length and 50 cm width. The tmc is 50cm tall and the d-d is 60cm tall.

Anyone have any experience with either tank they are willing to share.

Looking to set up as a mixed reef just not sure if the extra 4 inches in height is worth it?

Also not sure which sump / cabinet is best?

Thanks

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always thought that the 18"-21" (45-53cm) is the sweet spot for tanks. I think it's particularly true for tanks of less length. I just think it's aesthetically a very good look. Other benefits, will mean less rock work to keep the open feel but I like that as well. A few rocks low to the sand (under half height of tank or less) allows plenty of room for growth. There's also less light required to reach the bottom of tank (25% but that's going to vary a lot with coral selection) so a bit less money there as well.

Goes without saying that this is a personal choice based on what looks good to you. If the taller tank looks better to you now or supports what you want to do (intricate rock work with multiple caves and arches) then go with that even if it's a bit more. You don't want to think "I should've..." every time you look at your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back