Best beginner saltwater stocking ideas?

Patrick M Bodega Aquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!
My name is Patrick and I am new to this forum. I have been keeping freshwater for about 10 years and am apart of 3 other forums. I am interested in starting saltwater but I have no experience. I have a 10g with a betta that I am interested in converting into saltwater. What stocking do you recommend for a 10 gallon? I am also intrigued by coral and anemones. Is there a good beginner type that you recommend? The tank has a power filter. Would this work? What other equipment, other than a different light, would I need to convert fresh to salt?
Thanks in advance!

Respectfully,
Patrick M

Arcticfirefighter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, will be VERY limited with a 10 gallon. I would say maybe a pair of firefish with some smaller aquascaping. There is a forum on here that discusses "Nano Tanks" (Link Below) there will probably be some good information for you in there. I wish I could help more with your question but my knowledge of livestock and equipment for Nano tanks is extremely limited. If you decide to do the build make sure to create a build thread, I would like to see the tank as is matures. Good luck to you!

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 gallon is a great tank to start with.
I would get a couple awesome pieces of real live rock with feather dusters and cool stuff growing in it.
Stocking:
Inverts: a few sexy shrimp, 5 snails (trochus or astrea).
Fish: A clown goby and/or small clownfish.

I like @Lasse ’s method.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t try a nem if you’re new to the hobby. Some of them are hard to keep and if they die they nuke the tank. As far as fish I’d do a set of small clowns and that’s probably all. You could do a small colony of soft coral with them, zoa and pulsing Xenia are pretty bullet proof. Clowns will host Xenia like a nem and it’s basically a weed so it just grows and grows. Most people don’t like it I personally think it’s so cool.

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add an anemone into your tank until your tank has been running for about 7-8 months. As for other coral, zoas are fascinatingly beautiful but don’t move around to much, but are possibly bomb proof. Also, you have gsp and other softies like Duncan’s, pretty resilient and should be okay in a small tank(gsp is invasive). As for fish, unless you 100% plan for an anemone in the future, I would get a smaller/more social fish!! (Clowns can host power heads or some weird structure and you will barely see them) I would reccomend a fire fish, chromes, pajama cardinal, and/or other small fish. If you plan on growing coral, your gonna need a light powerful enough to grow these corals. Is this a rimless tank or does it have a lid? I would suggest running carbon as well.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower nems are very hardy and easy to keep. They will not host clownfish but can host porcelain anemone crabs, sexy shrimp, or Paterson’s cleaner shrimp.

They come in a large array of colors and can even breed in our tanks. They don’t get very large and can live in a 10g just fine.

OP
OP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add an anemone into your tank until your tank has been running for about 7-8 months. As for other coral, zoas are fascinatingly beautiful but don’t move around to much, but are possibly bomb proof. Also, you have gsp and other softies like Duncan’s, pretty resilient and should be okay in a small tank(gsp is invasive). As for fish, unless you 100% plan for an anemone in the future, I would get a smaller/more social fish!! (Clowns can host power heads or some weird structure and you will barely see them) I would reccomend a fire fish, chromes, pajama cardinal, and/or other small fish. If you plan on growing coral, your gonna need a light powerful enough to grow these corals. Is this a rimless tank or does it have a lid? I would suggest running carbon as well.
Below is Petsmart's photo of what the tank looks like.

Attachments

• download (4).jpeg
    download (4).jpeg
    160.5 KB · Views: 38

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Fire fish goby
Percolate clowns
6 lined wrasse
Tailspot blenny

mushrooms
Leathers
Candy canes
Xenia

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock flower nems are very hardy and easy to keep. They will not host clownfish but can host porcelain anemone crabs, sexy shrimp, or Paterson’s cleaner shrimp.

They come in a large array of colors and can even breed in our tanks. They don’t get very large and can live in a 10g just fine.
Dont they like to eat fish though?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back