Best Budget Sand

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I currently have an 8' 300-gallon system setup as a predatory tank. I am waiting on a larger 8'x4' tank to be built and looking for ideas for the sand bed. Hoping to end up with about 2" of sand in the new tank, which according to BRS should take a little over 400 pounds of sand.

I would prefer to start over with fresh sand in the new system rather than trying to pull the sand from current setup, but 400 pounds of live sand would need a small loan to pay for. Anyone have ideas for a cheaper method? Sand would need to be somewhat fine grain as the tank is going to have a yellow stingray in it that of course loves to hide in the sand.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I currently have an 8' 300-gallon system setup as a predatory tank. I am waiting on a larger 8'x4' tank to be built and looking for ideas for the sand bed. Hoping to end up with about 2" of sand in the new tank, which according to BRS should take a little over 400 pounds of sand.

I would prefer to start over with fresh sand in the new system rather than trying to pull the sand from current setup, but 400 pounds of live sand would need a small loan to pay for. Anyone have ideas for a cheaper method? Sand would need to be somewhat fine grain as the tank is going to have a yellow stingray in it that of course loves to hide in the sand.
I would look for sales, or rinse the old sand (can use tap water from hose) and reuse. But I would reconsider getting a larger tank if sand is giving you pause. My estimate is around $480 usd for new caribsea sand.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look for sales, or rinse the old sand (can use tap water from hose) and reuse. But I would reconsider getting a larger tank if sand is giving you pause. My estimate is around $480 usd for new caribsea sand.
This is on sale so $340 for 400lbs with free shipping. Seems reasonable to me :thinking-face:
Screenshot_20231008_082133_Chrome.jpg

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetSmart website has sales on CaribSea sands from time to time -- I think that's where the last post was from.
I bought dry CaribSea "Special Grade" when it was on sale at 40 lbs for $20 but not on sale right now.
They have CaribSea "Aragamax Select" at 15 lbs or $9.99 right now (with free shipping over $49) but no idea about the grain size.

OP
OP
LouisianaReef

LouisianaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PetSmart website has sales on CaribSea sands from time to time -- I think that's where the last post was from.
I bought dry CaribSea "Special Grade" when it was on sale at 40 lbs for $20 but not on sale right now.
They have CaribSea "Aragamax Select" at 15 lbs or $9.99 right now (with free shipping over $49) but no idea about the grain size.

Hopefully I can get that deal.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you close to the gulf? Play sand is sometimes aragonite when you are close to the ocean. You can check it with vinegar.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carib Sea ACS00940 Ocean Direct Natural Live Sand for Aquarium, 40-Pound https://a.co/d/demRNch

If you want a sand with texture, I love this stuff. It's live sand as listed above but you will find little shells and other cool stuff.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you are near the ocean... sometimes. Gotta test it first.

Anybody around for SouthDown sand? This stuff is long gone, but most sand is sourced locally since it costs so much to ship.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can if you are near the ocean... sometimes. Gotta test it first.

Anybody around for SouthDown sand? This stuff is long gone, but most sand is sourced locally since it costs so much to ship.
I remember driving to Joyce’ house to pick up 6 bags of Southdown. Home Depot managers across the country were being called about it back then lol.

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my 20 pound bags of sand off of chewy I think (or somewhere) for 16 dollars

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back