Best Care Magnet for 1/2 inch glass?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that the Care Magnet Long is rated for up to 1/2" glass, and the Care Magnet Strong is rated for 1/2"+ but is more than double the price. Is the Care Magnet Long good enough to get at tough coralline, or should I spend the extra money for the Strong?

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be strong enough to work, basically I will brake it down to pros and cons.

0220.015 cons- will tend to slip if you move to fast
pros, easier to move, less blade wear, cheaper

0220.020 cons, costs more, blades will wear faster, harder to move
pros, it will be much less likely to slip and fall to the bottom of the tank

Between us, in just a month or so, we will release an add on to make them float, it will be at least 6 months before this becomes standard as we want to take care of the existing customers first and sell out the old versions, and honestly it will probably only be a few dollars savings as a bundle vs adding the float. If you want to add floating, I would strongly recommend going stronger, the float of course pulls against the magnets so that reduces the hold.

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thanks for the info Roger! Happy Holidays!

OP
OP
L

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with the Care Magnet Strong. Wow - this is by far the best algae scraper I've ever used, and I have tried a whole lot of different ones over the years. I give it 9.5 out of 10. Would give it a 10 out of 10 if it floated. ;-)

nirvananight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be strong enough to work, basically I will brake it down to pros and cons.

0220.015 cons- will tend to slip if you move to fast
pros, easier to move, less blade wear, cheaper

0220.020 cons, costs more, blades will wear faster, harder to move
pros, it will be much less likely to slip and fall to the bottom of the tank

Between us, in just a month or so, we will release an add on to make them float, it will be at least 6 months before this becomes standard as we want to take care of the existing customers first and sell out the old versions, and honestly it will probably only be a few dollars savings as a bundle vs adding the float. If you want to add floating, I would strongly recommend going stronger, the float of course pulls against the magnets so that reduces the hold.
Hello,
Read few posts by you on this matter and would like your opinion on glass that’s 3/8” and 1/2”. Technically long should suffice but read your pros for the strong. Is that much harder to move vs the long? Also even though harder to move should clean glass with less swipes than long? Also, price diff between strong and strong+ is minor. Should I jump to strong plus or is it overkill? Drawbacks? (All of them now float as that was your concern older posts so that’s no issue now) Sorry don’t have access in person to see it so going by reviews! Thanks!

Mitserdt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Read few posts by you on this matter and would like your opinion on glass that’s 3/8” and 1/2”. Technically long should suffice but read your pros for the strong. Is that much harder to move vs the long? Also even though harder to move should clean glass with less swipes than long? Also, price diff between strong and strong+ is minor. Should I jump to strong plus or is it overkill? Drawbacks? (All of them now float as that was your concern older posts so that’s no issue now) Sorry don’t have access in person to see it so going by reviews! Thanks!

Would be interested in this as well. My tank has a 15mm front pane and 12mm side panes. I am considering a strong over a long, but I do not want to damage my low iron side panes or have to use excessive force. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, do some price research on raw rare earth magnets at these strengths.

Greg D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought some. A slightly stronger magnet shouldn't cause the price to double. I understand how things should be priced, so it get's me sometimes. Don't want to come new to the forum with negativity, but I was irritated. It's fine I just bought a strong on sale at saltwateraquarium.com. saved a few bucks anyway.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go from a 1/2" to 3/4" the lifting force increase, is an exponential cost increase. These are not the magnets we use and this is retail, we do not use nickel plated magnets due to toxicity, unplated are actually more expensive as they are not standard and require special packaging and handling, but a 70lb force magnet is roughly $10 and to only go to 85 pounds they go up to $20 and there are 2 in each half and we always go overkill. The Care Magnets are one of the lowest mark up items and you can see that no competent competitor is much less than ours.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back