Best cheap reef tank light

LeChef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know when I say cheap I’m still gonna have to pay probably around $300+ but I’m trying to find a good light for a reef tank, I’m a beginner but want to grow all kinds of corals when my tank is ready to be started so I’m trying to find a good light. I have a 40 gallon breeder and I’m looking at NICREW 150watt, VIPARSPECTRA (is there a stand for this or does it only hang from the ceiling?) and any others people might know. Thanks

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Used/re-loved' is your best bet. maxspect ethreals might be in reach. how big is ur tank?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Reef Breeders they are essentially black box lights but they are a US company with a good warranty and the build/accessories are well thought out. The blending of colors is lacking but they are definitely great beginners lights as long as you can look past that.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at Reef Breeders they are essentially black box lights but they are a US company with a good warranty and the build/accessories are well thought out. The blending of colors is lacking but they are definitely great beginners lights as long as you can look past that.
The photon v2+ blends well, they do like to be mounted quite high. I have mine 17 inches over the water. Nothing like a black box now. They use much better diodes, they are sold and serviced by an American company. Osram, Cree xte and xpe are hardly the ingredients in a black box. They do lack a dedicated uv diode however

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 14

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best cheap? Probably Ocean Revive T247. That is IF you can find one new or even used. They've been out of stock for quite a while now.

Better built than your average black box LED and is programmable w/built in timer

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TurkishKing9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the Arctic T247 lights for years and they have grown every coral I have had ranging from Acros, torches, and bounce mushrooms.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back