Best clam for BB tank?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Waters
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2013
Messages
9,413
Reaction score
20,975
Location
Mentor, OH
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding a clam or two which will be placed directly on a BB tank.....which species (if any) would be fine sitting on a glass bottom? I assume the rock boring Crocea would not do well.
 
I would go with a derasa or squamosa. I've seen maximas grown on the sand bed, bottom of tanks but ideally rockwork is more suited. Crocea I'd definitely keep on rockwork. Heres some squammies happy on the glass.
Screenshot_20190608-233912_Gallery.jpg
 
Last edited:
Maxima and put it higher in the tank on rock
 
Thanks for the quick responses......putting it on the rock is the issue. My scape has no stable, open areas to support a clam and its' growth...which is why it would have to go directly on the bottom.
 
I've had tridacna even lay their byssal threads directly to the glass until they got big enough where they didn't need them. Make sure you post some pics when you get one.
 
I've had tridacna even lay their byssal threads directly to the glass until they got big enough where they didn't need them. Make sure you post some pics when you get one.
Perfect....thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. Now just have to find a spot that isn't shaded, and has lower flow lol.
 
Perfect....thanks. That is what I was hoping to hear. Now just have to find a spot that isn't shaded, and has lower flow lol.
The tricky part, lol. For flow, as long as the clam itself doesn't retract into its shell for long periods of time your good to go. A little mantle movement I wouldn't sweat.
 
The tricky part, lol. For flow, as long as the clam itself doesn't retract into its shell for long periods of time your good to go. A little mantle movement I wouldn't sweat.
That might actually be an issue....I have two islands with flow wrapping around both of them. The areas that "might" work are in the outside edges which have lower PAR. I will figure something out....I couldn't have clams for the longest time because of my semi-predator stocking. I have pretty much replaced every non-reef safe fish so I can actually, once again, have snails, urchins, crabs, clams, etc. I will build a rock wall if I have to :D ;)!
 
With lower par I'd recommend a derasa. That's reefing right, lol. If I could get everything I wanted I would need multiple tanks.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new