Best clown for a 14 inch haddoni carpet

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok well Iv know mixing species of clown can be a big gamble and rarely work but I'm really wanting a pair of clowns for my big carpet nem. As of now I have a black OC clown which stays in back corner and is a butt hole to other fish I would give him away if I could catch him.... anyways i was thinking of getting 2 medium or larger saddle back clowns to pair with carpet. Is this a good idea or not I could maybe get the OC clown out if need be or is there another breed that may work better and pair with carpet also here is my other fish I have and size in inches

Niger trigger 2.5
Yellow tang 4
Scopus tang 4.5
Lawnmower blenny 3.5
Lyrtail anthius 3
Black OC 2.5
IMG_20181108_083338_92.jpeg

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Number of natural choices.
A.Akindynos
A.chrysogaster
A.chrysopterus
Clarki
sebae
polymnus

I would expect to pull the occs, if they sleep where you can get to them it's pretty easy usually to catch them at night, clowns are heavy sleepers usually.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I did something inpusivly today bought a maroon clown and its host bta even though I was looking for saddleback clowns with no luck in my area.....well maroon wint straight to nem after acclimation fine for a hour or so then my larger black OC decides he wants to run him out of bta and now maroon is hosting my toad stool and oc went back to opposite corner I'm going to give it a day or 2 and see if maroon goes back to bta or to carpet at toadstool is near it if not I'm thinking it's time to pull both out and start with 2 added at same time smh

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTA is natural to maroons, so I'd expect it to go there first, but maroons are one that will accept most any nem given.

While your occ is being the aggressor defending it's territory, I would expect the tables to turn, maroons are typically much more aggressive.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yesterday my 6 inch spikebox puffer was done in QT so added him huge mistake come home today from work and he is gone tear rock work down nothing then I look at carpet neme fully open and happy so I feel his base which I can't put hand around and sure enough I feel something hard with spines so yep he was ate by nem needless to say I have carpet in QT and he is not looking best anyone had experience with this kinda perdicument

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think puffers tend to nip and pick at nems, though I've never had that type of puffer or can swear to that.

Normally a nem can handle a pretty big fish w/ bones, not certain how it will deal w/ puffer spines.

Keep us posted, I'm very curious on outcome, good luck.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think puffers tend to nip and pick at nems, though I've never had that type of puffer or can swear to that.

Normally a nem can handle a pretty big fish w/ bones, not certain how it will deal w/ puffer spines.

Keep us posted, I'm very curious on outcome, good luck.
Sure will I'm thinking of selling him if he survives I hate it just don't never want to go through this again so if anyone is near upstate sc I'll be taking offers after a week or 2

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure will I'm thinking of selling him if he survives I hate it just don't never want to go through this again so if anyone is near upstate sc I'll be taking offers after a week or 2

Normally I would suggest take some time to think about this, and research animals, and I'm saying this kinda off the cuff myself not searching info as to whether that puffer was problematic for not only that nem, but probably other reef inhabitants.

I don't know puffers really because I don't keep them, not reef safe, most anyway.

My only question is how big is tank?

Hadonni can be problematic, they have stickier tentacles and a stronger sting than most other host nems, and if you combine that w/ lack of swim space it can be an issue.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in a 90 and planted it foot well for months and never ate fish matter of fact cleaner shrimp clean it but after QT I'm finding it a new home

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would expect to pull the occs, if they sleep where you can get to them it's pretty easy usually to catch them at night, clowns are heavy sleepers usually.

+1 I was at a friends LFS when someone brought back a Haddoni Carpet Anemone. His two Black and Whites were missing from his 120g. Shortly after he brought it in the carpet spit out the two clowns. It was pitiful but that's how nature works.

I had a mated pair of GSM's which did well in one though.

OP
OP
ireland425

ireland425

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 I was at a friends LFS when someone brought back a Haddoni Carpet Anemone. His two Black and Whites were missing from his 120g. Shortly after he brought it in the carpet spit out the two clowns. It was pitiful but that's how nature works.

I had a mated pair of GSM's which did well in one though.
Iv seen them do fine with porcupine pine puffer but I'm thinking they are smart enough to stay away from carpets I guess

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 5.0%
Back