Haddoni not doing well (just in evening)

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys - A little background...I have a 180g tank with an additional ~100g of water volume in the sump. Per Trident, my alk is 11.5, calcium is 499, and mag is 1455. Temp is 77.5, pH is 8.1, and salinity is 1.026. I run Orpheks for lighting and I also run UV and Surf4 floating algae scrubber. I turned my skimmer off since the Surf4 does it's job very well. I use RO/DI with 0 TDS. I have had a red haddoni since 2019 that has thrived in my tank. Unfortunately, after I introduced a new haddoni from an online vendor earlier this year, it hasn't been the same. The new haddoni never made it and has since been removed from the tank. I have three other haddoni's in my tank, but the red is the only one affected. During the evenings, it has been looking very deflated and just doesn't look healthy; however, during the day it looks just fine. Below are some pics. The first was taken at 6 PM (deflated) and the second pic (looks just fine) was taken at noon on the next day. It detached itself from my sandbed, which is why I put it in the acclimation box. It has gone through two cycles of cipro and that doesn't seem to help. I am not sure what is going on and I am hoping to get some insight from others that may be more experienced. I am worried when it doesn't look good, but then it looks just fine 12 hours later. I am not sure when I am going to try and put it back in the sandbed. I have four tangs (scopas, sailfin, blue hippo, and purple), a clarkii clown pair, yellow wrasse, flame hawk, and an Australian stripey. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

IMG_7598.jpg IMG_7597.jpg

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your Haddoni is infected by some microorganism and it is not response to Cipro. Third course of Cipro is not going to help. Every time it deflated, IMO, it is an attempt by the anemone to get rid of the infection. You should remove it from the tank or else your other anemone (Haddoni may get infected also) I am sorry I don't have anything else to add to this. Maybe treatment with a different antibiotic.

Good luck. It is a beautiful anemone. I always QT my anemone, and never put them in a system with other healthy anemone, especially of the same species.

OP
OP
CrayHawk

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other antibiotics are used for anenomes? I really screwed up putting that new haddoni in the tank, but I was assured the by vendor the haddoni I ordered wasn’t sick. Clearly that wasn’t the case.

OP
OP
CrayHawk

CrayHawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to provide an update. The red looked good for awhile and I placed him back in the sand bed. Attached right away and was fine for about a week. It detached last night, so I moved the inhabitants out of my 10g tank and relocated the red haddoni there to try and avoid getting my other three carpets sick. I will likely try another treatment of cipro at a higher dosage to see if that provides me any luck. I know the 10g tank isn’t feasible long-term but really not sure what else to do at this point.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 72 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back