Mertensi or Haddoni?

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a chance and ordered this little beauty this morning. Listed as Haddoni, but I'm wondering if it's possibly a Mertensi? This is the only pic I have of it until it arrives.
Image 1.jpeg

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! I was just hazarding guesses. I'm actually hoping it is a Mertensi.

billysprout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to clarify because i'm very proud i know this, mertensii spots cover the entire pedal column, whereas gigantea only has them around the top near the oral disc. haddoni have none.

i've never seen a carpet with tentacles that are this flat and... stretched? like a dash instead of a dot. or are those small clusters of tentacles? hard to tell, excited to see it in your tank :)

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need to check verracue to be sure, but looks like a Haddoni to me. They often flatten their tents like this when stressed. The pattern of tents is very Haddoni like. It’s also bleached based on the pic.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you receive it yet? I'm curious to see the actual color since ASD is notorious for blowing out their photos

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was due today, but potential shipping delays in my area has prompted a reschedule for next week. I should have it on Tuesday.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry seancj, it’s not a mertens. 99.9% It’s haddoni. I hope you’re successful in acclimating it! Best of luck!

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm thinking Haddoni as well, but either way, I'm excited to get it. I'm intrigued by the orange coloration surrounding the mouth.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I'm thinking Haddoni as well, but either way, I'm excited to get it. I'm intrigued by the orange coloration surrounding the mouth.
I don't think it's orange around the mouth. Looks like photo filters to me. It's probably a bleached haddoni.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Anonymous has a mertens anemone in stock.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Haddoni

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to Mother Nature, I've had to move back the shipment of this pink nem, and a few others, several times. We've had a rough couple of days here in KC with snow, ice, and very cold temps. Lots of flight cancellations and delays making it too risky. It's going to be minus 30 windchill over the weekend into Tuesday. We won't see above zero until late Tuesday/Wednesday. I've asked them to ship next Wednesday for Thursday when it will be a hot 30 degrees here!
I do have to say that they guys at AquaSD have been very accommodating and not once hesitated to agree to hold the shipment for me.

ocboat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with the shipment. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like.

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I was told by the guys at AquaSD, the day of shipping, that an urchin chewed into the pink carpet's foot and that they would not be sending it. I have 'credit' for a replacement when they get some new ones in.
I'm not really happy with this experience. Of the 5 WYSIWYG LTA's that I ordered, only one of them was the correct anemone. 3 others were poor substitutes, and the 4th isn't even an LTA.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. I was told by the guys at AquaSD, the day of shipping, that an urchin chewed into the pink carpet's foot and that they would not be sending it. I have 'credit' for a replacement when they get some new ones in.
I'm not really happy with this experience. Of the 5 WYSIWYG LTA's that I ordered, only one of them was the correct anemone. 3 others were poor substitutes, and the 4th isn't even an LTA.
Hah! Urchins don't chew into anemones--I'm sure they saw it as it was happening. That's hilarious. Nice try though. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
Seancj

Seancj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! Urchins don't chew into anemones--I'm sure they saw it as it was happening. That's hilarious. Nice try though. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I thought it was strange too, but I didn't want to press the situation. I had asked them to check the nem's condition prior to shipping many times and they always said "it looks great!". My guess is that the nem didn't look good when they went to pack it up and they made up an excuse. They have promised me, in writing, a free replacement (or a substitute for another anemone of equal value) and free shipping, so I can't complain yet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 93 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back