Haddoni in sandless tank?

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

I have a red/pink haddoni that's been recovering for almost a year after getting shredded in a Nero. It's finally looking healthy again and want to move it back into my 125 display... However, I recently removed my sand bed and replaced it with marco rocks rubble (which is like 1-3" chunks). I've kept many haddoni over the years but always in a tank with a sandbed, so this is sorta new for me.

I was thinking about just putting it in and seeing how it reacts to the rubble, or adding a container of sand and "planting" it but figured I'd see if anyone else has any experience with a situation like this.

Thanks guys!

PXL_20240204_172922023.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They do not need sand - IME.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried about the rubble damaging its foot.
the coral rubble would not cause injury to the leg, but they do want to hide their foot under the sand and will move around until it find a sand area with good light and current to settle in.

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would take something like a glass or tupperware container, put sand in maybe halfway up. Put the anemone in that, let it dig in and attach, then put the anemone/container where you want to place it and put some live rock in front of the bowl to conceal it from view. That way the haddoni will be happy and you won't have an unsightly bowl in plain view. My understanding is that haddoni prefer ~6 inches of sand around their column (for a large anemone) to feel secure and remain stationary long-term.

Pretty anemone, btw, good for you being able to rehab it after such a severe injury.

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions!

I wasn't able to find any containers that would work, so I ended up just building a small 'retaining wall' with the rubble rock and put about 3.5" of sand behind it. I would have liked to made it deeper but I didn't want to have a massive pile of rocks right in the middle of my aquascape. Just added it to the tank about 5 mins ago. It's certainly back to full health and stickier than fly paper!

PXL_20240216_191232156~2.jpg

Guess I'll leave the pumps off for an hour or two and see what happens! Wish me luck haha

Last edited:

Shark Wu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine just doesn't want to stay in flower pots as the others and keep moving in the tank.I took a glass bottle to mix with sands and coral skeleton,finally works for it.
I have 5 and only 2 require sands including this one.
The other is wired,it stays so deeply in the sands like 8~12 cm when I purchased it from someone already kept it over a year.
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of mine just doesn't want to stay in flower pots as the others and keep moving in the tank.I took a glass bottle to mix with sands and coral skeleton,finally works for it.
I have 5 and only 2 require sands including this one.
The other is wired,it stays so deeply in the sands like 8~12 cm when I purchased it from someone already kept it over a year.
IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_7015.JPG
Nice nems, looks like they could be gorgeous with some better lighting. That light pink one should be a bright deep pink (or even possibly red). Just a suggestion.

Shark Wu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice nems, looks like they could be gorgeous with some better lighting. That light pink one should be a bright deep pink (or even possibly red). Just a suggestion.
That's actually a great suggestion and I am trying to figure out how to improve the light source for them.Thank you very much for sharing your comments.

OP
OP
MoparMike97

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just about a week in, the haddoni has stayed put and looks great! For those of you who want a haddoni but not a full DSB or unsightly container in your tank, just adding a small wall of rock and then filling it with sand seems to work great. I'm really happy with the end result!

PXL_20240222_225452133.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back