Best copper treatment products?

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be quarantining 5 fish in a few weeks. Those will be the only fish for 2 years minimum. I might upgrade tanks in the future, but that's a long ways away.I have Cupramine currently. I'm realizing that maybe I should have gone with copper power, which I'll pick up since it's only $5.

As far as test kits go, can I get away with Salifert or the Seachem test kit for just this round of quarantine? I know that the Hanna Checker is highly recommended, but that's a lot more expensive for just quarantining these fish right now.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CopperSafe. I’ve probably put 50+ fish of many varieties through it; never lost a fish due to it— maybe for other reasons, but now where I can blame the CopperSafe. Best wishes.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be quarantining 5 fish in a few weeks. Those will be the only fish for 2 years minimum. I might upgrade tanks in the future, but that's a long ways away.I have Cupramine currently. I'm realizing that maybe I should have gone with copper power, which I'll pick up since it's only $5.

As far as test kits go, can I get away with Salifert or the Seachem test kit for just this round of quarantine? I know that the Hanna Checker is highly recommended, but that's a lot more expensive for just quarantining these fish right now.

Personally, I use Coppersafe for 30 days. I never have issues with it for any species. I have it set up so that I can run an API test and read it on a spectrophotometer, so that helps. The Hanna checker is really the next best way to go.
I have some concerns about Cupramine. You probably know that you can't use it with Prime, but I have concerns that other reducing agents (Amquel and dechlorinators) can also cause it to release free copper. Copper Power should be more like Coppersafe in terms of how it works, but I don't use it very often.

Jay

OP
OP
Schraufabagel

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I use Coppersafe for 30 days. I never have issues with it for any species. I have it set up so that I can run an API test and read it on a spectrophotometer, so that helps. The Hanna checker is really the next best way to go.
I have some concerns about Cupramine. You probably know that you can't use it with Prime, but I have concerns that other reducing agents (Amquel and dechlorinators) can also cause it to release free copper. Copper Power should be more like Coppersafe in terms of how it works, but I don't use it very often.

Jay
Would you recommend the salifert test kit? Or is it just worth it to get the Hanna checker even if it is just for the few uses now?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend the salifert test kit? Or is it just worth it to get the Hanna checker even if it is just for the few uses now?
Sorry, I’ve not used the salifert copper test, but their other kits are pretty good.
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 130 59.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 63 28.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 77 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 38 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.9%
Back