Best coral?

Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have moderate lighting and flow. (50 gal) Im a begginer,and on my list so far are
Clove Polyps
Zoa's
Candy cane coral
Ricordea coral
What are the absolute BEST corals to make a good reef?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have moderate lighting and flow. (50 gal) Im a begginer,and on my list so far are
Clove Polyps
Zoa's
Candy cane coral
Ricordea coral
Absolutely Best is a personal choice, the best if you are just starting and want good success is a zoa garden, after success with them get a devil's hand. Once you have those successfully add a nice birds nest . IMHO.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

whatever you find to be "good" - or meeting those standards. keep in mind, every tank is different even if the water parameters and lighting are the same! not a single coral is the same, even if cut from the same colony!

to answer your question, as you consider yourself a beginner, you can try:
duncan, blasto, other types of mushrooms (yuma, disco, eclectus, etc), other zoa morph's, leathers. some SPS like birds nest, green slimer, garf bonsai, pc rainbow are practically bullet proof.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely Best is a personal choice, the best if you are just starting and want good success is a zoa garden, after success with them get a devil's hand. Once you have those successfully add a nice birds nest . IMHO.
Thanks!But I have heard leather corals release toxins to the water,and that bird nests need high flow when they get old,so I don't think they are the best choice for me.

Upvote 0

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard leather corals release toxins to the water
Take what you read with a grain of salt. While I suppose it's possible I've had leathers since the beginning they have been one of the easiest and hardiest of any coral I have kept. They can be moody and shed every so often but once you know that and expect it they are great. There are also quite a few different types all with similar requirments.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!But I have heard leather corals release toxins to the water,and that bird nests need high flow when they get old,so I don't think they are the best choice for me.
Birds

Upvote 0

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some people claim they release toxins. If your really that worried about it you can always run some activated carbon in your filtration

I wouldn’t recommend any sps until your tank is about 10 months old, I recently rushed some acros after seeing my Montipora begin to encrust. Long story short, they didn’t make it. I bought 5, 2 are left but they look surprisingly well so…go figure.
Anyways, don’t do birdsnest, at least for a few months

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, had to go back to work! Anyway, the birds nest only requires a level of flow you should already have in your reef tank. As long as you see some movement and sway your golden

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back