Best course of action for Bryopsis algae?

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a couple (4) localized tufts of bryopsis algae. I have been contemplating the best way to remove this.

My first plan is to manually remove it during water change. Take the siphone and rip it out with my finger with the tube right over to suck it out. Then take some trochus snails I have and place them right where the algae was to get them to eat the rest.

My second plan is to remove as much as I can and take fluconazole and do the 2-3 week treatment. My only worry is I have heard fluconazole has damaged corals and have killed shrimp before

My Third plan is to remove the algae manually then when the water level is low, spray some 3% hydrogen peroxide on the areas and let it sit for a couple minutes, then refill with clean water.

anyone who has managed to tackle bryopsis what was the route you took?

I have also recently lowered the full spectrum photoperiod from 11 hours to 6 hours. With total lighting being 3 hour ramp up for sunrise and 3 hour ramp down for sunset for a total of 12 hours of light

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Remove as much as you can by hand while being careful about it. If at all possible, pull the rock out of tank to remove it all the better. If it has taken hold in the sand, sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the roots, it will grow back. As for roots, pull them off with a dental pick or small crochet needle. Important is to remove and discard Every piece of the root. You may have to repeat at some point.
Fluconasal (flux) also works but I prefer manual removal. Some cleaners that will help are : urchins, Emerald Crabs, chitons, and large Astraea snails, but the bryopsis can regenerate faster than they can consume it.

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove as much as you can by hand while being careful about it. If at all possible, pull the rock out of tank to remove it all the better. If it has taken hold in the sand, sift it out with a net. If you don't remove the roots, it will grow back. As for roots, pull them off with a dental pick or small crochet needle. Important is to remove and discard Every piece of the root. You may have to repeat at some point.
Fluconasal (flux) also works but I prefer manual removal. Some cleaners that will help are : urchins, Emerald Crabs, chitons, and large Astraea snails, but the bryopsis can regenerate faster than they can consume it.
My trochus snails have done a great job over small patches and has not been back in those spots. I may get a emerald crab again. He seemed to do a good job keeping it back. I may try and just go the flux route

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that got rid of it 100% for me was Flux Rx. I did a single dose into my filter sock so I didn't turn the tank into a snow globe and tick off corals and anemones:
IMG_3078.jpeg

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal and flux rx worked in multiple tanks for me. I used half the recommended dose. I did not lose a single coral or shrimp. I did not do a water change for two weeks in order to let it keep working. It took away all of the bryopsis and most of the gha. Keep up with all other husbandry while it runs it's course. :)

Robertellis30

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw someone on here before say dose reef brite live rock enhance. Then follow up with flux rx. Also tried it my self and worked wonders.

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that got rid of it 100% for me was Flux Rx. I did a single dose into my filter sock so I didn't turn the tank into a snow globe and tick off corals and anemones:
IMG_3078.jpeg
Nice! I’ve been looking into that!

will most likely go that route

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual removal and flux rx worked in multiple tanks for me. I used half the recommended dose. I did not lose a single coral or shrimp. I did not do a water change for two weeks in order to let it keep working. It took away all of the bryopsis and most of the gha. Keep up with all other husbandry while it runs it's course. :)
Thanks! Will do exactly this. Already manually removed a bunch!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 58 45.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back