Best CUC for cleaning rocks?

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everybody! this may be a simple question but a question nonetheless. What CUC is best for cleaning rocks in your tank? I've tried numerous snails and a tuxedo urchin and have not seen any improvement in a few months. My rocks have some algae on them but its the kind that wont just brush off. I have a fluval flex 32.5 for reference. thank you!

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have? Current CUC? Some snails won’t feed off of algae on the rocks, and depending on the type of algae, they may not eat it anyway. Do you know what type of algae it is? If not, can you post pictures?

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow do you have? Current CUC? Some snails won’t feed off of algae on the rocks, and depending on the type of algae, they may not eat it anyway. Do you know what type of algae it is? If not, can you post pictures?
I know I have good flow I have one powerhead closer to the surface for surface agitation and another one on the other side of the tank for flow for the corals. I currently have about 10 of asteria snails, I had trochus but they have since died and I have a few blue leg hermits but they do absolutely nothing. I absolutely hate emerald crabs the last one i had took a liking to my coral. imagine the pic with about 3 times as much algae this pic was taken ab a month ago.

Attachments

• tANK.jpg
    tANK.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 95

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that photo it looks like green hair algae. Astrea snails (there are several species of these, turbo snails included) and trochus snails do help. They are in the same family. The hermits may be getting enough food from you feeding the tank. Reducing lighting and phosphates would also help.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that photo it looks like green hair algae. Astrea snails (there are several species of these, turbo snails included) and trochus snails do help. They are in the same family. The hermits may be getting enough food from you feeding the tank. Reducing lighting and phosphates would also help.
okay ill give that a try.

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the CUC if possible, reduce the lighting by a couple of hours, and do a few small water changes over the next couple of weeks. You should see an improvement. Update after that if you are still having an issue with it. Cutting the algae can also help, but you will need to either net the algae to remove it from the water or siphon it out during the water changes.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have corals don't reduce your lighting - it affects corals more than algae and it makes it harder for carals to compete with algae. Looks like a mix of algae to me but if you're not happy with the Tuxedo try a Caribbean pin short spine or a black long spine diadema. You might also try using steel straws to get ahead of the algae to make it easier for your urchins.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Increase the CUC if possible, reduce the lighting by a couple of hours, and do a few small water changes over the next couple of weeks. You should see an improvement. Update after that if you are still having an issue with it. Cutting the algae can also help, but you will need to either net the algae to remove it from the water or siphon it out during the water changes.
Okay I will give that a shot.

OP
OP
J

Jpiotro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have corals don't reduce your lighting - it affects corals more than algae and it makes it harder for carals to compete with algae. Looks like a mix of algae to me but if you're not happy with the Tuxedo try a Caribbean pin short spine or a black long spine diadema. You might also try using steel straws to get ahead of the algae to make it easier for your urchins.
Ill look into a carribean pin or black long spine and some steel straws

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes you just need more. Tuxeudos tend to stay on the rocks for me. So will snails when the glass is clean. Limpets and chitons tend to prefer the rocks at my house. Pencil and rock urchins from Florida Keys also seem to stay in the rocks since they like to hide during the day.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good morning everybody! this may be a simple question but a question nonetheless. What CUC is best for cleaning rocks in your tank? I've tried numerous snails and a tuxedo urchin and have not seen any improvement in a few months. My rocks have some algae on them but its the kind that wont just brush off. I have a fluval flex 32.5 for reference. thank you!
If you go to Reefcleaners, they will recommend what is 'best' for your specific situation. They have been pretty good when I've used them in the past. It totally depends on what type of algae you have on your rock. Hope this helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back