100 watt heater with inkbird controller

light: noopsyche k7 mini

sand: 20 lbs of pink figi sand, or maybe special grade

rock: 10-15 lbs of live rock

fish:

clownfish pair, yellow watchman or yasha goby with pistol shrimp

cuc:

4 or 5 hermits, 5 snails, emerald crab, and likely a peppermint shrimp

coral: zoanthids, rock flower anemones, hammer, maybe a torch, candy cane coral, ricordia, birds nest, maybe montipora, acropora and probably more (I'll just start with zoas and a rock flower but I want those eventually)

accessories:

reef master test kit, refractometer, digital ph tester, magnet cleaner

This is what I would like to have eventually, if you have any suggestions please say them. I'm not sure if that's everything I need, which is why I'm posting it.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things....too small for clowns or a YWG. I'd go with more along the lines of a firefish, or a royal gramma or a smaller blennys (tailspot) or clown goby. Much less active, still very pretty. The YWG is surprisingly active and very good jumpers and get to 5". If you have to go clowns because people do, go with just one. Two will need more room as they mature and start to exhibit mating/breeding behavior and that tank isn't big enough at all for that. I've had just one for years and she's been a great tank mate. (If you have just one, it'll end up female usually). Yasha's are very nice and small but can disappear so you may want to set up a 'goby' hotel with some pvc pipe under the sand/rockwork so you can control where it hides in your display.

Start with corals before fish. It's rare people do this but it's much easier to start up corals then add a fish after a few months. You have some high end, difficult corals in that list. Since you're starting - I'd go more softie/zoa. Kenya tree, mushroom, toadstool. Easier to be successful plus they mature tank for when you switch over or add acros. Also help with nutrient management since they grow fast. Generally cheaper and hardier.

Lastly that's too much heater. I never want a heater that if fails on can overheat the tank by it's self. I would think a 25 w would be fine unless very cold house.

Just a few thoughts - keep researching and planning. Best of luck!

OP
OP
ihatetomatoclowns

ihatetomatoclowns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of things....too small for clowns or a YWG. I'd go with more along the lines of a firefish, or a royal gramma or a smaller blennys (tailspot) or clown goby. Much less active, still very pretty. The YWG is surprisingly active and very good jumpers and get to 5". If you have to go clowns because people do, go with just one. Two will need more room as they mature and start to exhibit mating/breeding behavior and that tank isn't big enough at all for that. I've had just one for years and she's been a great tank mate. (If you have just one, it'll end up female usually). Yasha's are very nice and small but can disappear so you may want to set up a 'goby' hotel with some pvc pipe under the sand/rockwork so you can control where it hides in your display.

Start with corals before fish. It's rare people do this but it's much easier to start up corals then add a fish after a few months. You have some high end, difficult corals in that list. Since you're starting - I'd go more softie/zoa. Kenya tree, mushroom, toadstool. Easier to be successful plus they mature tank for when you switch over or add acros. Also help with nutrient management since they grow fast. Generally cheaper and hardier.

Lastly that's too much heater. I never want a heater that if fails on can overheat the tank by it's self. I would think a 25 w would be fine unless very cold house.

Just a few thoughts - keep researching and planning. Best of luck!
Okay thanks. A lot of people have told me that a pair of clowns would be fine though if I had only one other fish that wasn't aggressive though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back