Best Dehumidifiers for Fish Room?!?

Fresh Salt Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! First post on Reef2reef been following along closely for a while but decided to finally jump in! I have a Red Sea Peninsula 650, 175 gallon total system, and it is in its own room. Humidity and moisture starting to become a problem, hung up some damp rid bags but this is a temp fix. We also have one of those wall mounted ac/heating units that is used in the room. I have been utilizing the dry feature which seems to be doing the job, but it just makes the room so cold due to it constantly being on. Any recommendations on a good dehumidifier for a fish room? Figured id come here to see if anyone had any good experiences with any of the brands. Thanks! Looking forward to being apart of the Reef2Reef community!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got one of those Midea cube dehumidifers for our fish room. The only downside is that the programming won't go below 35% humidity o you just have to manually turn it on and let it run (and then it takes it down to just below 30% humidity).

71Eh3crKRVS._AC_SL1500_.jpeg

The reason we went with this one is that the entire bottom is essentially a water container, so it takes anywhere from 10-14 days to completely fill (holds 5 gallons of water completely full). Then you just lift the top off, grab the handle on the bottom and empty it.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. A smaller portable dehumidifer should work but I don't have a recommendations since I use a whole house sized dehumidifier (Aprilaire brand). I would recommend getting 2-3 cheap humidity monitors to place in the room with the aquarium and in other parts of the house. Then you can measure how much humidity is in that room compared to the rest of the space. I normally try to hold my humidity levels around 45%. Its important to balance the humidity levels with your climate and comfort. I would not try to run humidity levels really low as it will cause higher levels of evaporation from the aquarium. A dehumidifier with a humidistat is useful but having a few monitors can help make sure that air is circulating through the house.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a AprilAire, I got this brand due to a Decent Warranty and reviews saying they stand behind their warranty. The down sides are, the Washable filters are expensive to replace when they wear out, it didn’t come in a 230 volt version, and it turning the fan on and off to sample the air. I could cure the last by using a remote humidistat.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the ones they sell at the big box stores, last just a little beyond their warrant, then leak the refrigerant out. That’s why I broke down and bought an AprilAire. I haven’t seen a bit of rust on my AprilAire, also it has a clear drain hose, and theirs no rust stains on it.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back