Best dip for monti eating nudis

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So somehow I acquired M.e.n. in my 10g nano and they are munching away at my montipora and monticaps. I thought they were suffering stn because it was a slow death from the bottom that halted when a chopped it up. However it continued a week later. Today I was admiring my tank and noticed nudis on my cap and montipora... and there was a ton!
What is the best cure! I trashed the montipora but I really want to keep the monticap. I trimmed the edge completely off the monticap because that's the only spot i saw any nudis.
What can I dip the cap in to keep them away.
I have seachem reef iodine dip and that helped my 20g but it was one small frag with like 2 nudibranchs
Will seachem dip work well or should I switch

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a wrasse?

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Probably too small.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably too small.
Yeah.. I read yellow coris wrasses do wonders but at a tank size of 50 and 20 for juveniles that's out of question... If this goes on too long I could use my new fallow 20g tank as a sort of qt and have 6 line go to town on it while my 10g goes 3 month monti fallow.
Problem is the new 20g isnt even cycled yet so I wouldn't wanna throw sps in it asap.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix dip every 3 days for 6 to 8 weeks in a QT tank
I dont have qt yet. I can use my new 20g when it cycles and stabilizes. All I could save was a cap It's like 20$ worth of monti so it's almost not worth the effort but I hate to let coral die.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are reporting the MEN are surviving all dips . Don’t waist your time.
the most effective way to kill MEN is manually removing them.
remove the montipora, flipping it upside down . There is where they are . Use a baister and a toothbrush to remove them . Coat any suspect areas with superglue to smother them. If the montie is encrusting, then superglue any gap or hole around the monti. And lose a fish , then get a small 6line wrasse. Yes they have a rep for being a bully but men are worse .

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many people are reporting the MEN are surviving all dips . Don’t waist your time.
remove the montipora, flipping it upside down . There is where they are . Use a baister and a toothbrush to remove them . Coat any suspect areas with superglue to smother them. If the montie is encrusting, then superglue any gap or hole around the monti. And lose a fish , then get a small 6line wrasse. Yes they have a rep for being a bully but men are worse .
I noticed the seachem reef dip made them easy to brush off. I blew all that I could off, and scrubbed the bottom of it. I also trimmed the entire perimeter of the coral because that's the only spots I saw eggs/nudis.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue is a must have . And a select few people are using dental water picks to power wash them off. There is a video of it maybe on YouTube.

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not accurate at all. Melafix kills them in 30 seconds

duke62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone posted their experience using melafix on FB against MEN

BB6A86EE-301D-4717-ADAA-0F5F55EB5343.jpeg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

True, these pests survive dips really well, especially Bayer! What I know to work best is coral rx pro with a little lougols mixed in.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the nudis is easy, it’s the eggs that are a problem. If removing the coral is possible, check out the undersides and scrape them off it helps. what really helped me seal the deal was using glue to coat the undersides of the monti, sealing in any eggs. This was easy in the frag tanks, not too helpful in the display. eradication was such a long process, no Monti comes into my system without a coat of glue to its underside now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting the nudis is easy, it’s the eggs that are a problem. If reomoving the coral is possible, check out the undersides and scrape them off it helps. what really helped me seal the deal was using glue to coat the undersides of the monti, sealing in any eggs. This was easy in the frag tanks, not too helpful in the display. eradication was such a long process, no Monti comes into my system without a coat of glue to its underside now.
What do the eggs look like?

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

• I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

• Other.

Back