Best Dip to deal with zoa eating spiders?

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read about freshwater dipping, brightwell MD, reef dip, and some others. What do you all recommend as the best treatment/dip for these spiders?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this….. about 10ml to 50ml of tank water for about 5 minutes kills hitchhikers dead fast. I usually dip with this then I rinse the frags with fresh tank water after. 8F0177A0-48F8-4613-80A0-9973CD310E65.jpeg just be careful handling and storing it as it is a poison.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use CoralRX for everyrthing but acros, and the above (Bayer) for acorpora, mainly because it is much trickier to handle (and I would recommend two bucket rinses). The hitchhikers on Acros are a little more stubborn.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using this….. about 10ml to 50ml of tank water for about 5 minutes kills hitchhikers dead fast. I usually dip with this then I rinse the frags with fresh tank water after. 8F0177A0-48F8-4613-80A0-9973CD310E65.jpeg just be careful handling and storing it as it is a poison.
Absolutely not what I was expecting haha. My local Lowe’s has that. That’s completely safe for the zoas?
I use CoralRX for everyrthing but acros, and the above (Bayer) for acorpora, mainly because it is much trickier to handle (and I would recommend two bucket rinses). The hitchhikers on Acros are a little more stubborn.
I can get CoralRX on Amazon now. Is it worth getting both you think? Or will CoralRX be good enough? I don’t keep Acros, only softies and zoanthids.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not what I was expecting haha. My local Lowe’s has that. That’s completely safe for the zoas?

I can get CoralRX on Amazon now. Is it worth getting both you think? Or will CoralRX be good enough? I don’t keep Acros, only softies and zoanthids.
Bayer can work for everything, and is very effective. It‘s also very gentle on corals

But it requires special handling as it is very toxic to any animal, and you need to be prepared to deal with the waste and residue in containers, wear protective equipment like gloves and glasses (should for any dip, but Bayer is critical), and it can be a hassel in other ways as it makes the water milky so you can’t see etc..

I personally only think it is worth it for acropora and the hitchhikers on them that are resistant to almost all other dips. My understanding is CoralRX is great for nudibranchs and things like Zoa spiders, which is the concern with what you are keeping… and it helps with bacterial issues on LPS/softies.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used a few different dips and this one (the bayer) seems to yield the best results. It works quick and corals aren’t bothered by it.
Okay, thanks for the input!
Zoas love Hydrogen Peroxide….
I was going to use hydrogen peroxide and have it on hand actually. Does hydrogen peroxide work for spiders??
Bayer can work for everything, and is very effective. It‘s also very gentle on corals

But it requires special handling as it is very toxic to any animal, and you need to be prepared to deal with the waste and residue in containers, wear protective equipment like gloves and glasses (should for any dip, but Bayer is critical), and it can be a hassel in other ways as it makes the water milky so you can’t see etc..

I personally only think it is worth it for acropora and the hitchhikers on them that are resistant to almost all other dips. My understanding is CoralRX is great for nudibranchs and things like Zoa spiders, which is the concern with what you are keeping… and it helps with bacterial issues on LPS/softies.
The bayer does sound like a total hassel. I think the CoralRX is what I will go with because of this. I’ll order some now!
Just to be sure, this is the one correct?

Attachments

• BDA27B4C-7DA3-425E-87DA-F4BC0386BAD4.jpeg
    BDA27B4C-7DA3-425E-87DA-F4BC0386BAD4.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 34

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen Peroxide from my experience knocks anything living off. Swirl the water and once it’s starts to bubble anything on it will float to the surface…Plus helps with algae

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
28 bucks for 8oz vs 13 for 40oz. The little extra precaution is worth it for me lol.

OP
OP
Cole_Voeller

Cole_Voeller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that’s it!
Cool ordering now!
Remember that whatever you chose for dip will likely kill the spiders but not the eggs so you probably need to dip again some days later for hatched eggs,,, but not sure the recommended timing on that.
Yep, I plan on it.
Hydrogen Peroxide from my experience knocks anything living off. Swirl the water and once it’s starts to bubble anything on it will float to the surface…Plus helps with algae
just did a hydrogen peroxide dip on the one zoa that isn’t as open as it used to be. Is there any way to tell if there are spider eggs?

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23E33263-263B-40EA-A225-C4F81554DB11.jpeg

I’m doing a hydro bath as we speak. Bristle worms just float to the top ….

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Coral Induction Bath DipX for all new corals but will use hydro bath on Zoas and acans

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back