Best Doser

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone, what's the best bang for the buck when it comes to dosing pumps? I have seen so many conflicting reviews. Whats a good, accurate doser? Even better, which one can I trust to not dump an entire gallon of solution and nuke my tank? Even if I have to drop some $$$, I rather be safe than sorry. Thoughts?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Jebao's dp4's and they have worked great for me. I am also adding a Kore 5th doser for smaller doses of drops and other functions. The Kore 5th is pricy but well worth the control and function that the doser offers.

OP
OP
InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great responses! Anymore? I have unfortunately heard some negative things about each of the ones you guys listed. But, you will always have "bad eggs" every once and awhile.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeh, great instructions / sac

Cover page direct quote...

"Jebao dosing pump is a modern product which enables to add different kinds of nutritian liquids in certain time and portion automatically. Before operate correctly, please read this manual carefully."

Yes, nutritian.

That's as far as I got before I just picked up the phone and went to YouTube.

TbyZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover page direct quote...

"Jebao dosing pump is a modern product which enables to add different kinds of nutritian liquids in certain time and portion automatically. Before operate correctly, please read this manual carefully."

Yes, nutritian.

That's as far as I got before I just picked up the phone and went to YouTube.

Yeh, that's when I gave up on the instructions. But the unit is so simple to program the instructions actually made it seem complicated.

sebastiaan1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only dosing pumps I'd consider would be ghl and vertex and maybe the kore doser.

I agree with the above. Had je Jebao, needs calibrating at least every month in my experience. So for standalone, I would go with one of the above mentioned.
Switched mine for Apex DOS and very happy with them, but not standalone, so not sure if that is an option for you..

Jam-reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the market for a stand alone doser. Just picked up AF, 1-2-3 components from Fins to Frags today. It's been hard to navigate all the good / bad reviews on these things.

SlvrZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had the ghl doser 2 and it was god awful in the interface the lag or sometimes not even being able to connect via the wifi and lan line. currently on the dos right now but dont have enough time to say anything about it yet.

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the GHL 2.1 SA with 4 pumps and I'm happy with it. The setup was straightforward and calibration easy. I like the iOS app and programming is very intuitive and fairly flexible. It tracks the supply of solution and notifies you when it is almost gone. No need for a special container with a float switch. I currently use the 5,000 ml jugs that Aquaforest Components 1, 2, 3 come in. I dose AcroPower with the 4th pump. I read somewhere that GHL has stepper motors but haven't confirmed that. I like that I can easily daisy chain a slave unit if I want more pumps. I've been running the GHL for 5 months so far with no issues.

I'm intrigued with the Apex DOS but there are only two pumps per unit and they are huge. Plus they would require me to break down and go Apex. I rolled the dice on the Cerebra Beta and am currently waiting for V2.

Reefiness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a jebao dp4 for 3 years and honestly i think its the best bang for the buck you will find out there. I've never had it dump a whole container of solution into my tank which is the main thing I worry about. It was pretty easy to calibrate in the beginning and I have not calibrated since. How does the calibration hold up? I have no idea, and frankly, I dont think it makes a difference at all. I try to test my water at least every month and at those points I make adjustments to my dosing amounts whether the levels are trending up, trending down, or staying where I want them. In general, I tend to add a bit to the dose amount every month or 2. Is it because its losing its calibration...? Maybe. Is it because my SPS are growing and requiring more elements....? Maybe. Frankly, it doesn't matter which of those causes is the reason, you should be testing your water with some sort of regularity and you will be able to adjust the dosing as needed. At around $70 or less, there is nothing on the market for a comparable price that will give you 4 heads at that price.

With that said, I'm planning on getting a new dosing pump this year during the Black Friday sales. Most likely I'm planning on going with either a DOS (make that 2), or a GHL. Why? Mainly because programming on the jebao involves a lot of smashing buttons with my fingers. I would rather program things remotely on the computer. I will likely keep the jebao and use it to start dosing my other additives like acro power, potassium, and strontium.

Also speaking to durability of the jebao, again I think there is a lot of variability between individual units, but I have been dosing in excess of 100ml per day split to 4 doses per day on 2 of the pump heads for the past 2 years at least. Although the heads are getting a bit squeaky now, they still work fine.

Jongalt26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Kore 5th Doser Ultimate and use it for AWC, ATO and dosing. It's a good doser, on the verge of being great a doser (assuming medical grade dosers aren't being considered). Even with it's 'flaws' it still is one of the best dosers on the market.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back