Best Doser

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also using DOS with a Neptune Apex, very accurate and calibration has always been spot on.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the space and don't mind to tinker a little, the hospira xl infusion pumps are imo one of the best options. Lots are available used on eBay for normally less than 100 bucks.

IMG_0220.JPG

The advantages:
Extremely reliable
Constant dose
Silent
Display tracks rate and amount dosed
Built in battery backup

The disadvantages:
Bulky and takes up space
Plumset iv sets can be hard to find
May require some tinkering (by that I mean some "prime" or "air in line" error messages. Keep in mind this isn't the intended use, but once you get the hang of how if functions it should be smooth sailing.)

Cary Hover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my apex system. I have a extra apex doser with those two large pumps as you describe that I have never hooked up. My calcium reactor does just fine keeping the levels right in my 450. My Apex has saved my tank a couple of times. You really should consider getting one. If you do I will sell you my Apex doser at a good price.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coralbox wifi here... When I was looking to buy a doser a few months back, was looking at the Kamoer X4, and asked (here) if anyone had any alternatives. Suggestion for the Coralbox came in, and I want and looked.

I have to say, I like it. Does what it should, easy (phone app) setup, compact, serviceable, easy to mount, aluminum box... I calibrated it, dropped the in side hose in the sump, the out into a measuring beaker, and then started dosing 10 ml / day on each head. Watched it for a week. Very accurate, averaged 39.5ml\day over the 4x10ml doses.

For the price, it's hard to beat, but even ignoring price... Why do dosing folks make something that can only be mounted on a shelf, with control buttons on the top? Nearly all of my electronic gear is mounted to a vertical surface... and from the photos here, that seems to be pervasive. Why wouldn't you make a doser that was compact and easily mountable?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been super happy with the "Drew's Doser" from Bulk Reef Supply. I've had them for a number of years and they are super reliable. I used to run them off a timer but later got an Apex so I run them using that now, it allows for much finer-grained control of the on/off times.

sundog101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been super happy with the "Drew's Doser" from Bulk Reef Supply. I've had them for a number of years and they are super reliable. I used to run them off a timer but later got an Apex so I run them using that now, it allows for much finer-grained control of the on/off times.
What's the difference between the drews doser and the regular brs pumps?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the difference between the drews doser and the regular brs pumps?

The Drew's Doser has four rollers instead of two, which makes me feel like it has less chance of back-siphon than a two-roller doser (although I'm not sure the risk in a two-roller doser is very high anyway). I also find the form factor of the Drew's Doser makes it easier to mount them to a panel. That being said, I'm not honestly sure the $20 price difference is worth it, and I've seen a lot of people say they are happy with the regular ones. (Just be sure to avoid the "top-off doser" if you are trying to dose additives - it runs at 50ml per minute which is fine for top-off but doesn't give you the fine control you need to dose small amounts of additives.)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Drew's Doser has four rollers instead of two, which makes me feel like it has less chance of back-siphon than a two-roller doser (although I'm not sure the risk in a two-roller doser is very high anyway).

I too am not sure that back siphoning is any real risk with a peristaltic pump, but it is easily prevented by having the drip tip above the tank or sump water line (which it should be for other reasons anyway) and forward siphoning is eliminated by having the reservoir top below the drip tip exit point.

AcroJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our GHL 2.1 for important things and BRS for things that can be a tad inaccurate.

Craig Skinner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will, I live in the USA so the has just opened up a office here so I should be okay.

It will be a year before I will purchase my doser so if their is a problem with the 2.1 they will have worked out any issues with the unit!

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS for things that can be a tad inaccurate

What do you mean by inaccurate? Do you mean they deliver inconsistent amounts, or the flow rate differs from what is advertised? I've never had trouble with them delivering inconsistent amounts, and if they deliver a little more or less than the advertised flow rate, you just account for that in the run time.

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a GHL 2.1 SA and it has worked great.

That's good. Hopefully mine was just defective.

Best to keep some spare motors for it on hand. Chances are it'll fail on a weekend or a holiday. And I'd hate for it to fail on a tank of sps that is more demanding than my nano with only 1.5dKh/day consumption.

How long have you had it?

Mine has been running since December 2016, approx 50ml/day on each head and it's noisier than my skimmer now when it operates.

It used to be silent. Now I can hear it from the other room.

These videos are from two days ago, with new rollers in place:

Speed 0, wear parts on:
Speed 0, wear parts off:
Speed 3, wear parts on:
Speed 3, wear parts off:

ReefBum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. Hopefully mine was just defective.

Best to keep some spare motors for it on hand. Chances are it'll fail on a weekend or a holiday. And I'd hate for it to fail on a tank of sps that is more demanding than my nano with only 1.5dKh/day consumption.

How long have you had it?

Mine has been running since December 2016, approx 50ml/day on each head and it's noisier than my skimmer now when it operates.

It used to be silent. Now I can hear it from the other room.

These videos are from two days ago, with new rollers in place:

Speed 0, wear parts on:
Speed 0, wear parts off:
Speed 3, wear parts on:
Speed 3, wear parts off:

I have had mine since the end of April.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%

Back