Reef doser

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m struggling to get my doser to keep my tank level consistent. I cannot seem to get to the once a week water test bench mark. When I do that I end up having swings that are insanely massive. Even just now from 3/29 to 3/31 my magnesium dropped 100ppm I dos to bring it back up and raise daily total dose by 10ml and it will sky rocket. I lower it by 5ml drops exponentially fast. Every single element is like this I have a huge drop raise my 5ml have a huge rise drop my 5ml have a huge drop back and forth all day every day no consistency at all… what am I doing wrong why can I got get this right I’m tired of testing every single day for it to never stay steady for even just 24 hours

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing error. There is no way you can drop 100ppm magnesium without alkalinity having a massive(almost impossible) drop.

As said above, read the thread posted from Randy about RMM.

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Testing error. There is no way you can drop 100ppm magnesium without alkalinity having a massive(almost impossible) drop.

As said above, read the thread posted from Randy about RMM.
I tested after I dosed 725ml or what should be 100ppm and it raised by 40 to 1350ppm. After reading RMM I’m under the impression mag tests aren’t accurate. Will focus on cal/alk and just monitor mag and attempt to not get concerned about it. With that said. I dose 65ml cal and It’s my most stable one. alkalinity bounces around. If I dose 37.5ml it’ll fall from 10.9 to 10.5 in a day. I bump it up by 2.5ml to 40ml and it’ll raise from 10.5 to 10.9 in a day. Should I see any fluctuation in this number or should I be seeing 10.5 week after week. I test with both salfert and Hanna checker

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested after I dosed 725ml or what should be 100ppm and it raised by 40 to 1350ppm. After reading RMM I’m under the impression mag tests aren’t accurate. Will focus on cal/alk and just monitor mag and attempt to not get concerned about it. With that said. I dose 65ml cal and It’s my most stable one. alkalinity bounces around. If I dose 37.5ml it’ll fall from 10.9 to 10.5 in a day. I bump it up by 2.5ml to 40ml and it’ll raise from 10.5 to 10.9 in a day. Should I see any fluctuation in this number or should I be seeing 10.5 week after week. I test with both salfert and Hanna checker
Sounds like you are trying to control too much. JMO

OP
OP
B

beginnerreefer04

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you are trying to control too much. JMO
I was chillin for a while then I had a trachy die for an unknown reason and I posted my parameters with my write up about it and EVERYONE was telling me they were swinging to much like .5ish per week on alk <50ppm cal and <100ppm mag didn’t think much of it I kinda set .5 50ppm and 100ppm ranges for my parameters and said if they are in this I’m good and my last post made me feel as if they must be basically zero fluctuations. But then again 10.5 and 10.9 are right next to eachother on my test.

Ps. Had another sps bleach overnight and Walt Disney looks eh… expectable. Everyone else is happy.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 69 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back