Best Protien Skimmer

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I had before my Ultra Reef. I found it to be mediocre at best and I can't even sell it for more than $100. It was fine when I needed something inexpensive when setting up my tank but there are far better skimmers out there.
I’m cleaning out mine every 2 to 4 days. Half full of Turkish Coffee lol and the cup stem full of yuk. No complaints here.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any data to support this or is this your opinion? What criteria leads you to believe
You can check airflow specs and designs if you need data, but that won’t tell you what the best skimmer is. The is my option based on my use with them and other skimmers as comparison. Bubble kings are just the most trouble free, silent, consistent skim, lowest pump maintenance skimmer that I’ve ever used. I think many would agree.

As for the aquamax, its good, not perfect. It lacks fine tuning ability on airflow which is easily fixed by adding a needle valve. The pump can also require more frequent cleanings to perform optimally. All in all it’s a powerful skim for the price. Better than a detect hob skimmer that I had which was more than double the price.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check airflow specs and designs if you need data, but that won’t tell you what the best skimmer is. The is my option based on my use with them and other skimmers as comparison. Bubble kings are just the most trouble free, silent, consistent skim, lowest pump maintenance skimmer that I’ve ever used. I think many would agree.

As for the aquamax, its good, not perfect. It lacks fine tuning ability on airflow which is easily fixed by adding a needle valve. The pump can also require more frequent cleanings to perform optimally. All in all it’s a powerful skim for the price. Better than a detect hob skimmer that I had which was more than double the price.

You probably should have stated "in your opinion or experience" then. Nit pick I know but your two lines made it seem as if they truly are the best and there is zero data to back that up. No one has tested every skimmer made in this hobby past or present so the design or airflow specs don't really matter.

As I noted in my post above it is subjective and personal preference at best based on what we know. Nothing wrong with that but we should at least own that when we reply and state why we like it. I do agree that there are some times when one tool is better for the job when space and/or price factor into the question.

Not knocking your reply but it as I read it - it came across as matter of fact when it really isn't. Sort of like the lighting game, right? What is best or what is best of anything for that matter. Maybe it comes down to what is popular or sells more /shrug.

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably should have stated "in your opinion or experience" then. Nit pick I know but your two lines made it seem as if they truly are the best and there is zero data to back that up. No one has tested every skimmer made in this hobby past or present so the design or airflow specs don't really matter.

As I noted in my post above it is subjective and personal preference at best based on what we know. Nothing wrong with that but we should at least own that when we reply and state why we like it. I do agree that there are some times when one tool is better for the job when space and/or price factor into the question.

Not knocking your reply but it as I read it - it came across as matter of fact when it really isn't. Sort of like the lighting game, right? What is best or what is best of anything for that matter. Maybe it comes down to what is popular or sells more /shrug.

I feel it’s the other way. It’s all personal opinion unless hard data is provided. Whatever. I’m pretty sure when you read my post you knew it was from personal experience. I would love to see the data that exists that shows what the best skimmer is. Not even sure how that would be proven lol.

Don’t mean it to sound confrontational. I just mean it’s a hobby that we post our opinions and experiences, not always scientific fact (which proves wrong so many times in this hobby over the years).

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t mean it to sound confrontational. I just mean it’s a hobby that we post our opinions and experiences, not always scientific fact (which proves wrong so many times in this hobby over the years).

Didn't take it confrontational at all as we are just chatting. Also didn't mean to single out your post. I think we both agree that a lot of replies to threads like this is personal preference, bias, or based on some form of experience.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lifereef I believe makes a hang on back. They are big though. I used one on a tank with roughly 60-70 gallons and it worked very well. Plus you can use whatever pump you want and if you can tinker with plumbing you can make it more compact. This is two days on a week old tank.

Attachments

• 17110507791013420954703584670105.jpg
    17110507791013420954703584670105.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 17110508202807956385932493076509.jpg
    17110508202807956385932493076509.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 5

reefermadnes5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Reef Octo 2000 HOB!! I have one and it is awesome, to say the least. It also has a side container that can be used for media. Very quiet, easy to clean, etc. Well worth the money for sure.
Im debating between a hob and and an external for my 75g fowlr. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on a reef octo 110 ext with a sicce 2.0 to feed it from the dt since i have no sump options. The 2000 hob is the next option and slightly less involved than making an ext work.

I am liking the option of placing an ext on a shelf above my tank so i can put in an overflow kill switch and flood return tube back into my tank should overflow be a problem.

Have you had problems with flooding during setup? I watched a youtube review that was a concern because of the mess.

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a good thread to post in - regarding Nyos, mine is loud. I want to buy a new impeller but I don't see anywhere in the USA to do so?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back